Batmobile at RM Monaco

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone know if this bat got sold ???
And it's sitting in the rain. Or they hosed it down the way they do in mystery movies with the streets, especially at night. Adds a nice patina to the asphalt the CSL, not so much. And it's sitting on dirt road. Perhaps the Off-Road dealer installed option. Oops, never was one.

Pete, probably a tad more reliable than your RS Capri which was not "serviced by an 'expert racing mechanic' for 39,000 km." But your engine bay probably looked better than this poor neglected baby.

Steve

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
And it's sitting in the rain. Or they hosed it down the way they do in mystery movies with the streets, especially at night. Adds a nice patina to the asphalt the CSL, not so much. And it's sitting on dirt road. Perhaps the Off-Road dealer installed option. Oops, never was one.

Pete, probably a tad more reliable than your RS Capri which was not "serviced by an 'expert racing mechanic' for 39,000 km." But your engine bay probably looked better than this poor neglected baby.

Steve
Yes - Steve.......maybe more reliable :)

Looks like potential buyers did their homework then, although it wasn't very hard on this old girl.

I understand Jaime Q sold this to somebody in the UK, looks like that buyer wants out already?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The high bid was 308,855 USD at the hammer. This was a strong offer given the condition of the car. The Batmobile market is still healthy. The car should have been sold at that price. (Unless this was a chandelier bid, which one can never rule out).

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IT was a ghost bid !!!

This Is a UK owned car, never been seen at any bmw or classic car events !!!

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

this is Jaime Queralt-Lortzing, from Spain, and former owner from this Batmobile 2275501, as I sold it in 2013.

Let me give you an overview about this car's history that may help you to understand the recent life of this unit.

It was first entitled in Canary Island by a German owner in 1975 and shipped to Hamburg in 1985 where his owner died in 1986. After that, the car remained stored in a garage until 2007, when I bought it.
I'll take the opportunity to explain that in September 2007 I wrote an article for the Spanish classic cars' magazine COCHES CLASICOS about an Spanish CSL Batmobile in Barcelona and I began investigating about Bats. In the article I mentioned that I was not able to find the 275501, the third Batmobile of three ever sold in Spain. With the magazine in the kiosk, a guy went in touch with me and told me where the car was! I flew to Germany in order to visit the car and when I was there I figured out that the owner wanted to sell it, so I bought it inmediately.
I sent it to Barcelona, although I live in Madrid, and, as said in the Sotheby's text, the car was carefully put again alive by an expert in race cars (sorry, but he was), today retired, and very well known in all around Spain.
My intention was to maintain the car in its original condition using it rarely. Early after I understood that this unit deserved a frame-off restoration, as Peter said, and I was not interested to asume this process, mainly to a time leakage. After some doubts, I decided to sell the car and I had some contacts with different potential buyers. My main interest was to find someone who may understand the unit we were talking about and how important it is. Even that the car deserved this complete restoration. This is something that I spoke with Peter several times. As a matter in fact, I received two interesting offers I refused due to the kind of people I found behind them. For instance, one of them wanted the car to install a wide body kit on it and race it in track days. Nothing for that unit.
Well, after the unfortunate issue from Peter with his Capri :) , I reached an agreement with a new owner in 2013.

I'm pretty sure, even today, that this car is a great base to invest on. I have really loved it and she will always be for me the 'Spanish Lady'.

Have a nice weekend.

Jaime QUERALT-LORTZING BECKMANN

Last edited:

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

this is Jaime Queralt-Lortzing, from Spain, and former owner from this Batmobile 275501, as I sold it in 2013.

Let me give you an overview about this car's history that may help you to understand the recent life of this unit.

It was first entitled in Canary Island by a German owner in 1975 and shipped to Hamburg in 1985 where his owner died in 1986. After that, the car remained stored in a garage until 2007, when I bought it.
I'll take the opportunity to explain that in September 2007 I wrote an article for the Spanish classic cars' magazine COCHES CLASICOS about an Spanish CSL Batmobile in Barcelona and I began investigating about Bats. In the article I mentioned that I was not able to find the 275501, the third Batmobile of three ever sold in Spain. With the magazine in the kiosk, a guy went in touch with me and told me where the car was! I flew to Germany in order to visit the car and when I was there I figured out that the owner wanted to sell it, so I bought it inmediately.
I sent it to Barcelona, although I live in Madrid, and, as said in the Sotheby's text, the car was carefully put again alive by an expert in race cars (sorry, but he was), today retired, and very well known in all around Spain.
My intention was to maintain the car in its original condition using it rarely. Early after I understood that this unit deserved a frame-off restoration, as Peter said, and I was not interested to asume this process, mainly to a time leakage. After some doubts, I decided to sell the car and I had some contacts with different potential buyers. My main interest was to find someone who may understand the unit we were talking about and how important it is. Even that the car deserved this complete restoration. This is something that I spoke with Peter several times. As a matter in fact, I received two interesting offers I refused due to the kind of people I found behind them. For instance, one of them wanted the car to install a wide body kit on it and race it in track days. Nothing for that unit.
Well, after the unfortunate issue from Peter with his Capri :) , I reached an agreement with a new owner in 2013.

I'm pretty sure, even today, that this car is a great base to invest on. I have really loved it and she will always be for me the 'Spanish Lady'.

Have a nice weekend.

I watched the auction.
There seemed to be quite a lot of interest and multiple bidders that quickly got the price to €265k. Then bidding stopped. The auctioneer decided not to sell. For me I thought that was quite a good price for this car considering some restoration required.

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Jaime Q... with all respect... but what do you care what a buyer intends to do with the car ? wide body build and race it... why not ? i assume the offers were not interesting enough ? .... after all , you were far from first owner..... just from 2007 !
Apologies, but i doubt your story....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jaime Q... with all respect... but what do you care what a buyer intends to do with the car ? wide body build and race it... why not ? i assume the offers were not interesting enough ? .... after all , you were far from first owner..... just from 2007 !
Apologies, but i doubt your story....

The scenario that Jaime describes is not uncommon. There are plenty of discerning sellers who want their personal property to land in caring hands. A batmobile is a special car regardless of the condition. I wouldn’t sell my project car to someone who wanted to part it out. I also don’t tell people that the cheap cars that I buy will be parted. It is a great way to lose a sale.

Reaction score
Hello again,

well @Belgiumbarry, you are free to doubt about whatever you want, but I have no reasons to lie. The car has gone for five years ago and my history with it finished then.
And I'm quite straight: I received two interesting offers before selling the car, both higher than the final agreement I reached with the new owner. In both cases I took the decision to refuse it because I was not interested to sell my car to somebody who will destroy it (wide body kit + races) or will not take care about this beauty. Sorry, but it's my way to do things and, as @Markos said, was a great way to lose a sale.
But, moreover, it was the way to keep peaceful with myself.

I wish you again a nice weekend.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
agree Jaime Q... i was just thinking the other side..... i didn't mean you lie , my reaction was on the fact you write as "racing = destroy it."
i think the E9 hype is alot just because it's race history....wide body cars put them on the map ... and a Batmobile is probably the closest ment to go racing leaving the factory.... with all respect, that big rear wing looks silly on public roads , no ?

i rally my 2 coupes , but ok, they are "only" 2800CS.... and i have alot admirers , as they expected to see them as garage queens.....:)

have a nice weekend too !