Beautiful complete original tool box on BaT

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott, apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but is the new box from W&N a perfect replica? My CSi tray has a couple of cracks and I was thinking of replacing it. I'll get the W&N one if it's a top notch replacement.

Anyone bought one that can vouch for it?

Cheers!
Dan
I have seen the new trays and they are not exactly like the originals. Put them side by side, and they are different. Same with the elephant skin.
And Amy, I just learned how to close the trunk w/o the tools. This may be common knowledge but here goes. Put it down about six inches from the trunk and close it using the roundel. Much less of that 64 feet per second squared we learned in high school. At least I think that's the physics behind it. But I did have to repeat high school physics in summer school.
I wait the corrections eagerly.
Steve

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have seen the new trays and they are not exactly like the originals. Put them side by side, and they are different. Same with the elephant skin.
And Amy, I just learned how to close the trunk w/o the tools. This may be common knowledge but here goes. Put it down about six inches from the trunk and close it using the roundel. Much less of that 64 feet per second squared we learned in high school. At least I think that's the physics behind it. But I did have to repeat high school physics in summer school.
Steve
Thanks Steve. I'd love to see a photo of one of the new trays if anyone has one?
Cheers!
Dan

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, it has a BMW part number, not a W+N repop. i will go pull mine out of the box and snap a few photos of the old one and the new one

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
okay here they are the first ones - new box first / original box second

new toolbox - hinge.jpg

orig toolbox - hinge.jpg

new toolbox - interior.jpg

new toolbox - open.jpg

orig toolbox - open.jpg

coupelady

Reaction score
Yes and yes it fit well. I got mine through the BMW dealer several years ago. Very pleased with the look, easily hung but I still keep the tools out of it.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
here are some more - same process - new box first
Okay, I am looking at the pics and trying to discern the major differences. Here's what I've come up with - let me know if I am seeing it correctly. It seems that the foam insert on the new box is more dense (fewer air bubbles at the surface). This results in a smooth, black appearance as compared to the more porous gray appearance that the originals usually have. And the recess on the cover for the latch seems quite different. The new one appears to have sharper corners and a smaller overall footprint, where as the original is a bit smoother and more "elegant"?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its very, very similar. minor differences, but you have to know the subtleties to actually know. the old rubber is old. i have seen some that is just as smooth, mine is just a little broken down. there is a sharp angle difference at the thumb latch on the exterior that is a smooth transition on the original. the overall texture is quite similar.

dbower

Reaction score
Steve

Steve: I recommend that you NOT press on the trunk roundel to close the lid unless you have the much-discussed gasket under the roundel. Metal on paint = not good.

Don

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve: I recommend that you NOT press on the trunk roundel to close the lid unless you have the much-discussed gasket under the roundel. Metal on paint = not good.

Don
I am now a "Lid Presser." Thanks guys. Any more tips? My tools are in an M1 tool wrap. Beautiful but not quite correct.

I do have the correct Italian Language owner's manual for my Italian delivery coupe. Took years of searching by other e9er's(my skills are minimal at best on a good day). Thanks again, you know who you are. Of course I don't read or speak Italian. Zero. But I love to read? through it and look at the pictures. Yes, they are the same as in the English language manuals. Are we all this odd?

Steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
mine has been easy ... the previous owner didn't put a roundel on the back of the car after painting ... so i have always had to press the lid ... fingerprints on the black paint drove me crazy. on my old BMWs i always pressed the roundel as it kept the fingerprint oil off of the paint or didn't scratch the paint by grinding some dirt / residue into the paint. i will have to rethink this when the ceylon goes on (hopefully soon). i do have an old (still pliable) roundel gasket to use.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes and yes it fit well. I got mine through the BMW dealer several years ago. Very pleased with the look, easily hung but I still keep the tools out of it.
I took the heavier tools out of my tray, saving just over 4lbs, and now keep them in a wax canvas tool roll that I give to my restoration customers to keep their tools in. Unfortunately, I had already cracked the tray before removing the tools, hence my W&N order tomorrow :rolleyes:

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1496.JPG

Removing the wrenches, pliers and heavier tools saved more than 4lbs.

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the new repro tool box (after a wine bottle grenaded my original) and I keep my tools in it 24/7/365. I would never recommended this for orignal boxes, I had a tool roll for my old one. Downside to the new ones is the rubber insert is drilled too deep for the fuses, they sink too low. Otherwise high marks.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the new repro tool box (after a wine bottle grenaded my original) and I keep my tools in it 24/7/365. I would never recommended this for orignal boxes, I had a tool roll for my old one. Downside to the new ones is the rubber insert is drilled too deep for the fuses, they sink too low. Otherwise high marks.
I shall follow your example Steve and keep the new tool tray loaded at all times :D