Bennyz Rod Shop Restoration

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t mean to offend but I hope to hell he knows more about 356’s than E9’s.

There are enough marque and model experts for any car to obviate needing to use a shop that has to guess its way through a resto. The only downside is $ to ship the car to such a shop.

Building custom hot rods is a high skill capability but I consider it fairly distinct from restoring and resto-modifying an E9.

John

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t mean to offend but I hope to hell he knows more about 356’s than E9’s.

There are enough marque and model experts for any car to obviate needing to use a shop that has to guess its way through a resto. The only downside is $ to ship the car to such a shop.

Building custom hot rods is a high skill capability but I consider it fairly distinct from restoring and resto-modifying an E9.

John
I have seen his restoration work on 356s and they are amazing see https://www.flickr.com/gp/scottjordan/69E561

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok so he knows 356’s. Good for that customer.

Cant really tell anything from the flicker pics other than the paint looks good.

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok so he knows 356’s. Good for that customer.

Cant really tell anything from the flicker pics other than the paint looks good.
All things considered, I am really happy with the way my car turned out especially given the alternative would’ve cost me a lot more money and a lot more time. It will be interesting to see how this vehicle turns out that he is working on. He doesn’t just do hot rods. I have no regrets whatsoever about Beny‘s work. I don’t think that having one of three shops in the country restore these cars is a viable option personally but I can see how you have a different opinion

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you know nothing about your car and how it should look restored, then yes, take your car to an expert (VSR, La Jolla), but if you can save some money and do some homework yourself, why not take it to a good restorer who is open to your suggestions/corrections?

Might save $50k+.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you know nothing about your car and how it should look restored, then yes, take your car to an expert (VSR, La Jolla), but if you can save some money and do some homework yourself, why not take it to a good restorer who is open to your suggestions/corrections?

Might save $50k+.

With the gracious help of this forum, I believe I did just that, although not sure if I saved $50k per se but I did save $ and time. Thanks to all of you.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score

Might save $50k+.
Interesting point - I evaluated a group of restoration shops for sheet metal & paint, and the ones that meet my needs ranged from $65 to $85/hr. The lower end were two shops that are not experts in GTV’s, but would do a great job if I took on disassembly and assembly and only had them restore the bare shell. The $85/hr includes shops that have forgotten more about GTV's than I’ll ever know. Hard to imagine there is more than $3k (300hrs) of delta between these shops for body and paint.

If I were asking for a turn key restoration, I could perhaps imagine a savings from using the knowledgeable experts as opposed to a shop that had to learn everything as they go.

I think in Scott’s case the hourly cost delta was much bigger than$15/hr, so he probably did save real $.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Progress
0A93CF03-D25F-48DD-AA07-40A559BE579E.jpeg

tmh

Reaction score
I'm sure replacing the front fenders on a CS coupe for the first time would involve a learning curve but the restoration shop that worked on my cleaning up the rust in my rocker panels did a great job. Fortunately that was the primary rust issue on my car.... so far. 356's, and CS coupes both have comparable rust issues. Restomods require a high level of fabrication skills. The ability to cut out rust and weld in new metal seems like the primary skill set for many of these cars. The same holds true for sanding, priming, and painting. Access to the internet with lots of pictures and Youtube videos are amazing resources that did not exist 20 years ago. Some CS coupe owners have done an amazing job on do it yourself restorations to a very high level. I would still have to leave the final paintwork to someone with a lot of experience and a good spray booth.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's going to be beautiful in black on red. I wanted to see more of the 68 Shelby ragtop sitting next to it. :)