Bennyz Rod Shop Restoration

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question is, does that car need to have the fenders taken off? I can’t really tell from the video, but it looks pretty good and he didn’t mention any rust other than the floor pan. Maybe have it “scoped” to see if there is rot behind the front fenders and if not play the lotto and keep the job simpler and the costs down.
There's no getting around it. For any proper coupe restoration, the fenders HAVE to come off. That's a known weakness and if if you are going to spend 100k, ALL the rust has to be discovered and that means everything....

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
There's no getting around it. For any proper coupe restoration, the fenders HAVE to come off. That's a known weakness and if if you are going to spend 100k, ALL the rust has to be discovered and that means everything....

Not so sure about that. If the fender tops looks pristine, and if you see no cancer up in the crevices (per @craterface ), I don't think it's necessary.

However, if you plan on going down to bare metal everything, then a $100k restoration should include acid/caustic deep/galvanize and not just blasting the outside.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not so sure about that. If the fender tops looks pristine, and if you see no cancer up in the crevices (per @craterface ), I don't think it's necessary.

However, if you plan on going down to bare metal everything, then a $100k restoration should include acid/caustic deep/galvanize and not just blasting the outside.
I disagree....if you are going in deep (and by the looks of it, the owner is) , why would you skimp on an extra 5k to make absolutely sure you've eliminated it all? I don't care how good the tops look. There's corrosion there. Maybe not terrible but if you're going to drive it and not worry about the errant mud puddle, then do it right. Plus if you sell it down the road, you'll get the 5k back plus some if you can document you went to the nth degree...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
$5k maybe and that's assuming they put everything back correctly.

Too often, you see errant spot welds from replacing them..

In the Pagoda world, if those factory spot welds aren't there, you can write off $20k right there from the selling price.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that then begs the question, if the guy you've picked to spend 100k with to restore your car is the right bloke...we're back to items mentioned earlier about learning as you go along with a finicky beast like an e9 ;-)

Agree 100% on the SL world comment. Savage bunch they are. Thing is, that's a mature, knowledgeable group. Will the E9 crowd get there? If it follows the CSL world, it likely will, which is another reason to spend the extra bones and have someone with a sterling E9 reputation handle the restoration. All this is just my 2 cents which is what it's worth...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think we are being a bit voyeuristic here. There is an enthusiast behind this car and this is an ongoing build thread. Members here know the owner. Benny and his crew are still getting the feel for e9’s but they are part of the e9 family. Doors have been opened for new technicians, and everything shown here is directionally correct.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So I got no idea about the bona fides of Benny. I know there are shops that have thousands more hours of experience - like Select Classics in D/FW! But I'm gonna cut Benny some slack just because of the Allman Brothers playing in the shop in this clip.

More experience Select Classics... now that's funny! Bennyz has integrity thanks to the transparency of @scottevest's videos with his build.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
$5k maybe and that's assuming they put everything back correctly.

Too often, you see errant spot welds from replacing them..

In the Pagoda world, if those factory spot welds aren't there, you can write off $20k right there from the selling price.
Plus another 5,000 for missing notches at the headlights!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I randomly stopped by to see what was going on, and got to meet the owner of the car and someone from Don’s shop installing the engine. Wow.

So much progress. This car is going to be amazing when completed.

glad I could be Benny‘s guinea pig.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The front and rear bumpers look nice w/o the horizontal rubber inserts just like the 2000CS. The rear center spacer has been for sale on EBay for some time now. Looks like the completed car will mostly sit in a large collection with 70 other cars. That amazing engine will never see its full capacity. Just hope I'm wrong. These cars were made to drive.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
The front and rear bumpers look nice w/o the horizontal rubber inserts just like the 2000CS. The rear center spacer has been for sale on EBay for some time now. Looks like the completed car will mostly sit in a large collection with 70 other cars. That amazing engine will never see its full capacity. Just hope I'm wrong. These cars were made to drive.
Unfortunately I don’t think you were wrong. I doubt it will get driven at all.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
100% original doesn't always gain the most $$$ unless it's a super rare model/version/race history/etc.

Look at all the restmod early vettes/camaros.

Singer Porsches.
Ikon Broncos.

Look at the high-dollar E9s that are not CSLs. Usually it has some kind of HP engine and suspension tweaks and 16"+ wheels.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
If almost any classic car is being restored for a place in a collection to just be observed, doesn't it make sense to restore the car to 100% original condition?
I guess it does, but the original premise escapes me. I don't get having 70+ cars that you never drive. It reminds me of Nigel Tufnel's guitar that you can't even look at. Or "Mint" grade LPs that have never even been opened. Perhaps I'm just too base a human being to appreciate things deeply enough.

I think this opinion wouldn't change much if I were a kajillionaire either. But that said, kajillionaires can spend their money however they want - to a point.