Bespoke Keys

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m starting a little design project to do custom keys for the e9. I want it to be heavier in hand but not modernized, something that will blend in well with other mid-century items. Wondering if anyone had any good historical info on Pebra or dimple keys. I couldn’t find much online. Mine came with two different keys, one that works the ignition and one that works with the doors, trunk, and glove box. I figure this isn’t right and the ignition had been swapped. The manual states one key should be a master key and other is like a valet key.

B5291ADA-23D5-4E50-A572-E067F88BEFBB.jpeg

Few kickoff sketches, I’ll share more as they come.

D23F855C-6450-4CEF-BF16-174278F51457.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would be interested in a larger, heavier key, but if I were to try what you are suggesting, I would simply go with either an elongated or a larger round section. I would stick with the hole for the attachment point, rather than some sort of tab sticking out from the key.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One key, the master, works all locks. The second, valet key, works ignition and doors only. Most locks have been swapped or rekeyed by this point.

My CSi originally had & has 2 keys, replaced the locks when the ignition switch before the ignition switch failed 100% in 2018. My 1973 US 2002Tii has 2 keys. Maybe US Coupes were/are single key?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your design experience. Saying "nice design" is saying nothing looking on Your taste,

Now I have understood why the key looks like a missile or rocket.

Are you Star Wars fan? I'm asking as design looks to be in space ship style:
1642941363909.png

I really like this topic. It is a great opportunity to see Artist at work.

... ... ... My few cents as it is always comment than create ... ... ...

Most of us were having different keys for our cars (and not only). The biggest pain is they are not very suitable in our pockets as long as they are not in the holder.
Over years BMW was offering special holder in different shapes:
1642942407792.png

In the end in most of the cars spade of the key was hidden or - newest cars - removed.

Car key shape is often also something which is related to the car brand, use or even it's owner.

I like keys which are designed to be:
- handy / pleasant to use (not too heavy) => it is not only about the User but also the ignition switch can be damaged due to long and heavy key
- hard to be lost (not too light)
- unique for model, type etc
- have something in common to the car they belong to

- fit into car's design
- be durable enough but also need to brake at some force (e.g. pedestrian being hit by key hanging from the door lock)
- resistive to sweat and other conditions (e.g. sun creme)
... etc

All together with more and more legislation appearing, car manufacturers are avoiding using old fashioned keys today.

I would not be surprised, due to US jurisdiction, insurance can put in question if - after accident - compensation is valid or not.

Spade is very important as it might be painful. It can cut the pocket and I know people lost their's key because of it.

To be able to make / copy the key as a whole or spade (if removable) needs to fit common blacksmith's equipment.

Also the key is Safety Component:
- it can hit your knee
- you can hit the car body by accident with it
- it can switch the ignition off and block the column -> Famous GM case from few years back

So the key is not only design but also responsibility. I know it is though but true.

I'm not against the custom, modified keys. Just putting some information related to keys

Here's the nice collection of them with famous "red" keys

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you Star Wars fan? I'm asking as design looks to be in space ship style:
My career revolves around real world spaceships so the influence comes natural. :D

I’m going a bit more for Googie architecture, a bit inspired by some time I’ve been spending in Palm Springs. I think it’s somewhat necessary that a spacecraft industrial designer would design the keys for his car, 50 years after it was manufactured. Having inspiring design 50 years later is a personal goal of mine and one that is highly deserved by Hofmeister and the designers. I hope to do the same

The key design..It’s not there yet, my typical process is to free up and build a CAD model quickly so I can start getting function, manufacturing, and size out of the way and re-theme if necessary. I don’t get married to the 1st “napkin sketch” until I have consulted with others.

Ultimately yes, the key should fit the style of the car and not feature anything not available at the time. No LEDs, no screens. I feel the OEM key is super unique with dimple style locks but I want this one to be more like a nice watch, heavy in hand without overcompensating, good feel, larger but no larger than a modern switchblade while open. I’m working with some experienced key makers that are actually in your 11 cool keys list

B64C97E8-7E5C-4C3C-85AD-601241816684.jpeg

So far I’m on 3d print #2. The size is nearly where I want it but the style is way off, too thin and modern, almost flimsy at the edges. I do like how it feels in the hand, the negative space in the middle is snug and confident in the fingers. Good with pockets. I may keep that cross-section and re-theme the key with a more triangulated profile, like the steering wheel spokes.

0FC03A27-708E-42A9-877F-3D0DF2AFD195.jpeg

The key fits well in the ignition, no obstructions and good clearance to the wheel. My car was missing the ignition cap so I may machine out a matching end cap.

413F0A16-F06C-4985-B964-47E5B28A880A.jpeg

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, it is very nice key it is a art that it goes with the car, can I buy 4 of this key from you I have 2 E9 and I want 2 for each one please let me know I hop you will sell it to me and my car is 1971- 2800cs and 1973- 3.0csi that you can engrave on it let me know please how much do I have to pay you.
thank you

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m going a bit more for Googie architecture, a bit inspired by some time I’ve been spending in Palm Springs. I think it’s somewhat necessary that a spacecraft industrial designer would design the keys for his car, 50 years after it was manufactured. Having inspiring design 50 years later is a personal goal of mine and one that is highly deserved by Hofmeister and the designers. I hope to do the same

The key design..It’s not there yet, my typical process is to free up and build a CAD model quickly so I can start getting function, manufacturing, and size out of the way and re-theme if necessary. I don’t get married to the 1st “napkin sketch” until I have consulted with others.

Ultimately yes, the key should fit the style of the car and not feature anything not available at the time. No LEDs, no screens. I feel the OEM key is super unique with dimple style locks but I want this one to be more like a nice watch, heavy in hand without overcompensating, good feel, larger but no larger than a modern switchblade while open. I’m working with some experienced key makers that are actually in your 11 cool keys list

View attachment 134957

So far I’m on 3d print #2. The size is nearly where I want it but the style is way off, too thin and modern, almost flimsy at the edges. I do like how it feels in the hand, the negative space in the middle is snug and confident in the fingers. Good with pockets. I may keep that cross-section and re-theme the key with a more triangulated profile, like the steering wheel spokes.

View attachment 134961

The key fits well in the ignition, no obstructions and good clearance to the wheel. My car was missing the ignition cap so I may machine out a matching end cap.

View attachment 134962
Hello again, and if you could engrave small BMW logo right on the middle it would give a better look to the key that is just a idea or can glue a small 11mm emblem they sale that on the amazon that would make it very special key.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score

Interesting to learn new from You some new. Thanks!

Are you considering to add or modify the key to have something in common with BMW heritage (e.g. kidney, lettering style, colors or place for BMW logo sticker)?

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Are you considering to add or modify the key to have something in common with BMW heritage (e.g. kidney, lettering style, colors or place for BMW logo sticker)?
I have 2 E9 that one is working fine and the other that I am restoring the key hosing is destroyed and and there is no key I have to buy the setup and fix it and friend of mine he change the colon and install a 525 steering colon if I don't fined a complete set to be 1 key for door trunk and ignition I may do the same what he did

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

and the same look that you have a picture will be great only have a 11mm space on the middle so I can glue the BMW logo on it the 2nd picture that have brown key chain on it that I think is your final design

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
and the same look that you have a picture will be great only have a 11mm space on the middle so I can glue the BMW logo on it the 2nd picture that have brown key chain on it that I think is your final design
Regarding making more available, this will be a personal venture for now but if that changes I’ll send updates.

Last edited:

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding making more available, this will be a personal venture for now but if that changes I’ll send updates. Not planning on logos or glue.
I know your are a engineer and you don't need the money and I know you didn't post the key to attract customer but you are capable of designing nice set of key that I really like it and you don't want to share your creation, am I right, it will be very nice after final design you make a extra set, and I am an fire protection engineer if you email me your final design in CAD format I can fix it myself will you do that?
Best regards ( [email protected] )