Best interior color to pair with Arktisblau?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
As stated previously, goofing around with Bavbob has reignited my desire to finish my E9.

I read a post by HBChris about Arktisblau being a bit of a rare-ish color for E9's.
I'm not crazy about it and think early 1970's cars should be brightly coloured and driven with bell-bottoms and long hair. But, Bavbob mentioned that the blue-grey of Arktisb is attractive, in a mature sophisticated sort of way (e.g definitely not me).

I'm fishing for comments on what color leather interior to chose
The current dark blue is .... boring.
Soliciting opinions on these (from an old HBChris post)
goldbraun
natur
saddle
hellgrau

FWIW, the front seats will be a pair of Scheel 400 high back sport seats reupholstered to match in perforated leather, but the rear will be stock. Door panels will be re-sprayed to match, and I'm not yet sure where I'm going to find period correct carpet (maybe KHM?) I'm keeping the original white headliner.
scheel_pair.jpg.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andrew, thanks.
(1) carpet: doesn't look like a multi-tone German square-weave. Is that a tan velour like that used on later BMW's?
(2) It's perhaps a little light for me. I'm searching for pics of the other E9 versions of tan. Tabak seems to dark, no?
(3) Never cared for the '74 and new seat stitching and style, and those in the pic don't appear to be properly held down across the seat base.

I suppose I need to suck it up and restore the stock front seats at the same time I do my Scheel's so everything matches for the next owner.

Can't beat those old Scheels for comfort. I had a set of E21 sport seats in one of my 2002's and while those look great in an E9, but the comfort and quality isnt the same.

John

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
bfeng,

I got a bunch of tan samples from GAHH when I did my tan interior with an 'almost' Granatrot exterior. Settled on got samples of Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Rolls colors. Settled on MB Bamboo after laying the samples out on the trunk lid to see how they contrasted with the exterior. But there is an e9 pictures on the pictures forum with MB Orange Bamboo that was very intriguing to me as well

Gary

PS: Chris (Ohmess on the Forum) dyed the grey seats he bought from me a very nice cognac color - you can contact him for pix and the sample leather source).

Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went for tan and piping to match exterior, I get lots of positive comments on the interior.
I feel that it lifted the entire car and would do the same to future cars.
Carpets are a close match to the outside colour, wool and leather finished trim.

Attachments

• 9C8C2C5B-0BC2-44F6-898A-B720871693FC.jpeg
    9C8C2C5B-0BC2-44F6-898A-B720871693FC.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 189
  • 6B2CB136-93E2-43FF-846E-3714B8C2CCFB.jpeg
    6B2CB136-93E2-43FF-846E-3714B8C2CCFB.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 180
  • 496BCDFF-1B1B-4263-B8A1-D89F212F75C3.jpeg
    496BCDFF-1B1B-4263-B8A1-D89F212F75C3.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 181

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
tan and piping to match
That’s interesting

The piping gives it a bit of a luxury British slant, IMHO. Evocative of Aston Martin in the 1970’s.

I think I also see plush style wool carpet. Were there E9’s that came New with plush rather than multi tone loop?

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
John, Colorworks is a local place for auto resto paints etc. Kirt is an awesome guy, you bring anything to him and he will match the color for you with SEM products. He loves the challenge. We'll go there when you have chosen a color so he can match and get your door cards the color you want......Maybe I'll come over and "goff" around and help you.

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went for tan and piping to match exterior, I get lots of positive comments on the interior.
I feel that it lifted the entire car and would do the same to future cars.
Carpets are a close match to the outside colour, wool and leather finished trim.
Maybe I'm seeing things, but do you have tweeters stuck in the ashtrays on your door panels? If so, and you don't mind me asking, - was it worth doing and what did you use?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
John,

There is already a good bit of black in the car (dash, console, above wood at the windows, so the original; black/grey carpet with tan seats looks fine to my vision processing unit.

Seems like the general advice is to pick the leather color to work well with the exterior first. And worry about carpet color afterwards since its cheap to mock up different carpet colors. When the rest of the car is done. I assume it’s not too horrible to replace the carpet AFTER everything else is finished (remove center stack, seats, panels and door opening trim).

Maybe a two tone charcoal would be ok, just not jet black.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
i am with Andrew. the MB cognac color is gorgeous. i also really like tan doors / seats with black carpet, more than the tans. similar look to @Stan with the gr8white - red seats / panels with black carpet
That cognac looks somewhat close to the brown vinyl used on the earlier E3’s. I think those shades are great with dark blue paint.

One consideration is the Scheel seats are very big in the upper seat back area. When I saw Cain’s car I think the lighter interior helped prevent the Scheels from being too dominant.

I’m 80% decided on tan with brown (sisal/cocoa mat color) two tone carpet. But I will buy and try a charcoal carpet sample as well.

Can’t wait to find out how much it’ll cost to recover the Scheel seats (gulp).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes on the charcoal ... that's what i meant. i am thinking in terms of 2 tone loop like in all coupes, or even charcoal square weave. if i was doing it again, i would think about square weave.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have the scheel sport seats, they are still in the scheel clorh and vinyl. have been giving it some thought to redoing them in leather and new scheel cloth. i have the black leather already. the sport scheels are easier to recover well than the CSL style. scheels are much lighter than the stock seats and easier to take apart. the stock seats you can buy kits for ... the scheels, not so much.

you can have the carpet done custom by buying the material from a place like Veterans in California. we need to develop excellent patterns, i like the patterns from KHM, except for the accel pedal slot, a little big. if you are going to put coco mats on top, its less important.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm seeing things, but do you have tweeters stuck in the ashtrays on your door panels? If so, and you don't mind me asking, - was it worth doing and what did you use?
Yes they are tweeters in the ashtrays, you can guess I don’t smoke.
No, not worth doing for driving as the car is so noisy with a single box exhaust etc. They are great when parked.
Regards