Best interior color to pair with Arktisblau?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Erik, i put tweeters in my ashtrays and put perf metal (black) where the vinyl was. it looks great. this is not mine, but it looks exactly the same. i am going to put tweeters in my rear side panels (window motor access plug).

bmw e9 - ashtray tweeter 4.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As stated previously, goofing around with Bavbob has reignited my desire to finish my E9.

I read a post by HBChris about Arktisblau being a bit of a rare-ish color for E9's.
I'm not crazy about it and think early 1970's cars should be brightly coloured and driven with bell-bottoms and long hair. But, Bavbob mentioned that the blue-grey of Arktisb is attractive, in a mature sophisticated sort of way (e.g definitely not me).
@bfeng, did i mention how much i like arktisblau. i think that coupe in the werk shop piece is gorgeous. i was reminded by the beauty of the color when i saw the pics of @vince 6 series. i think this color shows the body shape well. smart move

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a cognac interior with Atlantic (041) exterior. I redid the Scheels with perforated leather in the center section only. Door cards were redone in leather also.
E9Interior00.jpg

E9Interior01.jpg

E9Interior02.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
i am going to put tweeters in my rear side panels (window motor access plug).
don't do that, if you are not making this upgrade for rear seats passengers;)
tweeter is that type of speaker which for proper sound scene should: 1. always be in front, 2. best when is at eyes/ears height.
Only lower frequencies can come from the rear if listener is on front.

If we talk about upholstery for Arktisblau - my vote is +1 for Cognac:)

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went for tan and piping to match exterior, I get lots of positive comments on the interior.
I feel that it lifted the entire car and would do the same to future cars.
Carpets are a close match to the outside colour, wool and leather finished trim.
Wow

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a cognac interior with Atlantic (041) exterior. I redid the Scheels with perforated leather in the center section only. Door cards were redone in leather also.
I assume the scheels were a custom job stating with a set of hides? Did you have your door/quarter panels colored to match or did you have the leather dyed to match your existing panels?

One of my Scheel is all vinyl rather than the standard cloth centers, and the center is perforated like yours. I like that look.

Thanks for the photos.

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
I assume the scheels were a custom job stating with a set of hides? Did you have your door/quarter panels colored to match or did you have the leather dyed to match your existing panels?

One of my Scheel is all vinyl rather than the standard cloth centers, and the center is perforated like yours. I like that look.

Thanks for the photos.
The Scheels were a light tan fabric in the center with vinyl on the sides before I had them stripped and "leathered". Taking the covers off the seats revealed some fairly hideous rose patterned underlayment fabric that the folks at Scheel must have figured no one would ever see.
I bought enough hides to do all the upholstery and the panels. The upholsterer did a great job matching the existing door panels. I had to dye the armrests and plastic pieces from the existing tan to cognac.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Leather doornoa
Only lower frequencies can come from the rear if listener is on front.

I think that depends on the music source and the listener. In a live hall you have later arrivals from every direction. In a good stereo reference room the same is true. So it’s ok to have mid/high freq output behind you IF you put the right content into those channels. If you have an up-mixer to extract ‘ambient-ish” content, sending it to the rear (incl tweeters), with appropriate level and delay can increase the sense of being in a live space (envelopment). The original Dolby Pro-logic was arguably the first upmixer. Some Better quality car audio processors have an upmixing feature.

Wladek

Reaction score
Leather doornoa

I think that depends on the music source and the listener. In a live hall you have later arrivals from every direction. In a good stereo reference room the same is true. So it’s ok to have mid/high freq output behind you IF you put the right content into those channels. If you have an up-mixer to extract ‘ambient-ish” content, sending it to the rear (incl tweeters), with appropriate level and delay can increase the sense of being in a live space (envelopment). The original Dolby Pro-logic was arguably the first upmixer. Some Better quality car audio processors have an upmixing feature.
Hmmmo_O
my previous reply was more realistic, thinking specifically about e9, that:
1. is not very huge inside & even don't have place for mid-woofers proper mount, not saying additional speakers, passive or active crossovers, processor, additional amplifiers etc..
2. radio/music listening, not movies/cinema watching
3. main listener - driver
4. that is not fully deadened

From my experience with car audio - if you are not a pro, tweeter behind you will only make mess in sound stage;

Interesting thing is that most of hi-end home systems i can imagine for music listening/not cinema - are just 2x front speakers.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wladek
I agree with your advice if the Gigi doesn’t include a signal processor.

About home HiFi, a 5.1 sound system will always sound better than a 2-channel
system, all other things being equal and if a decent upmixer is used. But the systems much be properly setup. High end HiFi is full of fake-science and idiots. A few good products and lots of nonsense.

Wladek

Reaction score
About home HiFi, a 5.1 sound system will always sound better than a 2-channel
system, all other things being equal and if a decent upmixer is used. But the systems much be properly setup. High end HiFi is full of fake-science and idiots. A few good products and lots of nonsense.
I can't agree with you - personally for tv & home cinema i have 5.1 setup, but for music listening i have tube amp + tube stand stereo monitors.
Personally for me music sound way more naturally & better from stereo setup, while movies are more thrilling with 5.1. The difference between the sets is huge.
Why? Because it depends on how sound was originally recorded.
Songs are mostly recorded in studios in single room - so 5.1 can artificially beautify the sound.
While when movies sound is recorded, they record it with several microphones that are in different locations, so was 3d/surround effect.

As far as i know, general idea of modern car audio systems (Burmester, B&O, HK, Bose, Krell, Meridian and many others) is - every single person that is inside the car, doesn't matter where it seat, should hear sound the same way & receive same dose of volume, details, resolution, fidelity etc..

p.s. sorry for littering the thread about the interior colour

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someday when Americans can travel to Europe again we should have a few beers and talk about audio . Is Munich convenient?

John

Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
I had a Nachtblau car a few years back which had a beautiful original light grey leather interior, which had an almost blue hue rather than tan. It was beyond restoring unfortunately, but the combination was perfect.

Cornishman - can I ask who did your interior and if you’re happy with it ? I need to get mine done pretty soon.

Regards,,

Damien

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Damien has a great point, the (warm) light gray would go very well with the arktisblau since its a blue / gray color. and with the charcoal carpet it would be outstanding.
if you want to get a little 'restomod' rather than original (i see @HB Chris cringing as i write this) ... you could do the front seat backs in black (or blue) to accent the gray. i thought of deQ's coupe with the light interior + blue door / side panels as well as the stanceworks photos of the split finish interior. both are quite interesting. then there is the OCCoupe red interior with the charcoal carpet .... similar to Stan's gr8white

blue - deQ - interior 2 tone.jpg

e9 interior - split finish.jpg

occoupe - int.jpeg

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damienh asked who did my interior and am I happy with it?
It was done by TLC in Newark, they do cars and also “kinky boots”, so really know the upholstery and leather work business.
They do tractor seats for my dealers, smart red leather to lift the interior in used tractors and combine harvesters.
Re the actual work, it very much like the look and feel of the leather and the additions they did, it was not expensive vs other quotes, 5 hides were needed.
In terms of “Total Perfection” it only gets 98%, but most people would never see the 2% and let’s face it, it’s a car where the rest is no where near as good as 98%, the panel gaps are not perfect, there are little patches of “patina” here and there, etc. So yes I am very happy with it and for the money, extremely happy.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
TLC in Newark
!! That’s a mornings drive for me! (or is it Newark. CALIFORNIA, not NJ)

Recovering my Scheels is looking more and more feasible! Did you or the shop source the 5 hides, and if U bought them ... where?

And I like the perf only in the middle sections unlike the entire race as I currently have:
457FABFD-6DD2-4D88-933E-7023CE437740.jpegC1FBB821-F7F8-473C-99AE-BD9E31694833.jpeg

Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like music,I was referring to, the original rather than the modern reproduction, .
Newark on Trent, Notts, UK. So quite a good drive if you are in Boston, US, rather than Boston, Lincs!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I should attend Goodwood again, and bring my old seat covers as patterns. You are fortunate as the UK has an amazing industry of businesses & craftsmen who support the classic car business.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here's my Scheels covered in furniture grade leather. Scott got this for me.
I didn't like the Scheel logo in the back rest so it was removed when the seats were covered.
Everyone knows they are Scheels.
You don't need a tweeter in ashtray. Almost all modern 4-5" speakers have a tweeter.
I have a flat sub under the drivers side rear seat and an Kenwood amp under the other side.
I have 5" Polk speakers in the kick panels and 6x9 Polks in the rear deck. When car was apart I made sure the opening for the rears was big enough.
No amps and BS in the trunk although all the power for the amps and windows (E28 motors) and fuel pump is fused in a small fuse box next to the battery in the trunk.
No oil or water temp gauges on or under the dash.
I have the center console made by a guy on here and I modified the inside of that to hold an oil temp, water temp, voltage and my wideband gauges. No photo.

Attachments

• 037A8291.JPG
    037A8291.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 037A8292.JPG
    037A8292.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 037A8303.JPG
    037A8303.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 139
  • 037A8316.JPG
    037A8316.JPG