BMW 3.0CS 3D Model

posix

Reaction score
finished up the exterior modeling. will start on interior soon.

E7610BD0-BAA8-4725-821D-D1EF98E6E8A9.png

99E36F8C-DEC0-4020-BC8C-AEB90584ED72.png

4E2D666D-28C2-40BA-B638-9E37D632F38C.png

13962CAE-2386-4AE7-9FAA-D1C4A34C2F3B.png

305CA149-37A0-4AF7-89D8-21A273C722C5.png

8C1FF7D8-B1F6-447B-BA97-460EDD2752E9.png

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looking pretty darn good. one very minor issue -something is a little off on the 3.0cs badge / taillight. notice where the 3 starts vs. where the light starts in the pic below...
3.0cs - badge dimensions.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
you almost need a scanning tunnel - like a MRI where it takes imaging sections that build the 3d form. think about what you could really do that - make accurate replacement body panels. of course, the equipment would be an expensive setup cost.

We actually scanned a full rear section of a car at work and made a 3D virtual crash model out of that. The scanning equipment is actually quite portable and half car only took half a day's work. Making the CAD model from the point cloud is 90% of the work. It did take about 25.000 euro's....

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Wow, great work! I’m a sculptor but nothing I do is on a computer. Take a close look at the proportions around the tops of the side windows. The e9 has constant curve on all windows. They are not flat at any given point. I’m not being critical as I couldn’t digitally model the car if someone put a gun to my head. If you want images or measurements to assist please feel free to reach out. The tool you are creating is very powerful and could be useful to many of us. I’m impressed! Keep up the great work

posix

Reaction score
Wow, great work! I’m a sculptor but nothing I do is on a computer. Take a close look at the proportions around the tops of the side windows. The e9 has constant curve on all windows. They are not flat at any given point. I’m not being critical as I couldn’t digitally model the car if someone put a gun to my head. If you want images or measurements to assist please feel free to reach out. The tool you are creating is very powerful and could be useful to many of us. I’m impressed! Keep up the great work
Will take a closer look on my car :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would shave off the USA side lights / reflectors both front + rear ... if you are going to paint the car, you will want to remove those like the euro cars.

second item, most coupes have the antenna on the drivers side rear. only a few have them on the front fender - may want to delete that or relocate it.

third thing - not sure the front bumper returns close enough to the front wheel arch. the '73 is a little further forward than most, but that is only USA cars.

the development is looking better and better.

posix

Reaction score
i would shave off the USA side lights / reflectors both front + rear ... if you are going to paint the car, you will want to remove those like the euro cars.

second item, most coupes have the antenna on the drivers side rear. only a few have them on the front fender - may want to delete that or relocate it.

third thing - not sure the front bumper returns close enough to the front wheel arch. the '73 is a little further forward than most, but that is only USA cars.

the development is looking better and better.
I’m planning on removing the reflectors. Front ones already removed.

I have them in the model to keep it stock :) when it goes “live” I’ll have options to remove them.

planning to move the antenna to the rear, looking for one of those electric Hirschmann antennas :) if you happen to know one for sale, let me know :)

I’ll play around with the bumpers. They seem to be the hardest to get right...

damienh

Reaction score
Nice work. Reminds me of a model I created when learning 3DS Max many years ago now. It's looking good. What jumps out at me is the windscreen corners front and back, the radius is a little large. The level of perfection really comes down to what you want to use it for.

Good luck,

Damien

Attachments

• damienhammondmodelling6.jpg
    damienhammondmodelling6.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 153

posix

Reaction score
alright alright alright. been a while since there's been an update. work has been busy :D some big releases coming up hehe.

with the help of some friends, was able to come up with this. it's not 100% realistic but it's the best i could come up with, moving to interior soon. but more importantly, starting off taking apart the actual car haha

best result is to view on computer. can take a while to load since the model is quite large.

left click is to tilt, right click is to pan.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is COOL!
Thanks for all your hard work.
And your patience for all us in the Peanut Gallery pointing out the small corrections that make a good model a great one.

Thanks again.