BMW E9 3.0 CSL Vergaser - Carburettors

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
so...

"BMW E9 3.0 CSL, first series carburettors, totally original, only one owner until 2010, from this date I am the second owner. The car is almost all first paint, only a few small parts repainted 40 years ago. I'm not sending more photos, I'm looking for a serious and motivated collector, not photo collectors. The car is located in Sicily where the climate has kept the car in unique conditions in the world. These cars are accustomed to the formation of rust, if this car is completely absent"

impoluto o_O

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I show, the car, if you find the crime, I pay for your holiday, if you don't find the crime, what do you pay?

As a lawyer I'm happy to tell you all a crime usually involves an act of positive conduct, rather than an omission. For $50USD every 6 minutes I can explain why that's so.

To Mario's point what makes this car special is what hasn't been done to it across past 50 plus years. If BMW were smart they would buy it for their collection as true survivor and to capture the associated OEM knowledge for the benefit of the BMW community. I doubt they will though.
Plan B is we pass the hat around the Forum and it can stay at my house for free as have some very close relatives to keep it company.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As a lawyer I'm happy to tell you all a crime usually involves an act of positive conduct, rather than an omission. For $50USD every 6 minutes I can explain why that's so.

To Mario's point what makes this car special is what hasn't been done to it across past 50 plus years. If BMW were smart they would buy it for their collection as true survivor and to capture the associated OEM knowledge for the benefit of the BMW community. I doubt they will though.
Plan B is we pass the hat around the Forum and it can stay at my house for free as have some very close relatives to keep it company.
Lavrentiy Beria (Лаврентий Павлович Берия) was a Soviet politician. If you are licensed to practice law in Russia your argument may work :).
The car may be perfect and Mario is surely a gentleman, I have seen Lancia horror stories with cars purchased in Italy, all with the slogan our weather is not conducive to rust. No offense, but serious buyers prefer pictures to storytelling....Either that or intermediaries that vouch for the car...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Normally in an advertisement it is counterproductive to establish conditions that may be unpleasant or aggressive for buyers, it is also inappropriate to appear in an arrogant manner.

Then everyone does what they want, but it can be a general rule to maintain a friendly position....IMHO this is not...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lavrentiy Beria (Лаврентий Павлович Берия) was a Soviet politician. If you are licensed to practice law in Russia your argument may work :).
The car may be perfect and Mario is surely a gentleman, I have seen Lancia horror stories with cars purchased in Italy, all with the slogan our weather is not conducive to rust. No offense, but serious buyers prefer pictures to storytelling....Either that or intermediaries that vouch for the car...

certainly,

it is true that one can easily affirm the existence of something, but denying its existence is more complex because it requires carrying out a 100% reliable test

Personally, it seems ridiculous to me to claim that my car is 100% rust-free, much less if my car has never been touched/inspected for 50 years, and this is valid even if it has spent its entire life in a vacuum box after its manufacturing and maiden voyage to the site, your box can be a dry place, but these cars were manufactured a bit north and then transported there somehow probably without caring too much for %humidity.

those peculiar messages, I don't send photos, my car has no rust, the car was only driven by an old lady to go to church on sundays,... are IMHO a shot in the foot these days

but, easy, we will sit and see, as my old grandgrandmother said, "if you sell, you were right"...

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score

I've not seen the car in person but I take Mario at his word. The reason I do that, is this is a well known car in CSL circles and has been extensively documented. I'm all for robust discussion but we need to keep away from talking down a long term member who is also trying to sell their car and who's been kind enough to inform Forum members ahead of this that we planned to do this.

Suspect there's no shortage of those in the know that will privately vouch for the car to serious buyers. Why would anybody bother with talking to tyre kickers for a car like this? Serious buyers will probably inspect in person in any event.

Is the car perfect? No. Does it claim to be? No. Will anybody find a more original carb csl with a fully documented history? Unlikely.

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
so...

"BMW E9 3.0 CSL, first series carburettors, totally original, only one owner until 2010, from this date I am the second owner. The car is almost all first paint, only a few small parts repainted 40 years ago. I'm not sending more photos, I'm looking for a serious and motivated collector, not photo collectors. The car is located in Sicily where the climate has kept the car in unique conditions in the world. These cars are accustomed to the formation of rust, if this car is completely absent"

impoluto o_O
I can remove any doubt

Reactions: Wes