BMW E9 3.0 CSL Vergaser - Carburettors

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have a saying in English "some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing" or another from the great American Mr Benjamin Franklin "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I see lots of comments on social media about the price, the price is the price, you like you buy, you don't like you don't buy.

If you don't like sellers comments, move on, it's his car, he can say "the sky is green" but this is not about the sky, this is about the sale of his car. Again, dont like comments, move on.

Now to the car, there are so many so called Carb CSL's being "found" (its becoming an epidemic) so provenance in todays world is everything, Mario's car has provenance running through every orifice and more.

So if you are looking for a great original early CSL, this car certainly must be considered and if you are considering such a car, the price reflects how rare it is to find something like this. The collectors who want the very best will be looking for such originality and provenance, they also expect to pay for such rarity.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The late Ed Levin lived in Italy and was the authority on Lancia Fulvias. He had a saying that a car's registration in Italy is called Libretto di circolazione, where the word Libretto is a great fit because the story that comes from the seller often resembles the Libretto of a dramatic Opera.

A buyer I advised to get her dream Fulvia in Italy and import it to California, picked up her dream car, which was form Ovada, Italy, drove it to Holland to sort out a few things only to discover it needed 230 man hours of welding and metal repairs. About 45k$ added. I feel bad for her.

Whatever English saying one may rely on, a used car transaction is ruled by the theory of asymmetric information, money from the buyer is money, the seller knows about the car more than the buyer, so it is only fair to balance that asymmetry whenever we face such a situation, perhaps by stating that the combination of cars don't rust in Italy and I will not show pictures could be a red flag. I realize that in this case I was wrong, because the car and the seller are known to others, and both have a perfect reputation.

Now, how about them pictures :)?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The late Ed Levin lived in Italy and was the authority on Lancia Fulvias. He had a saying that a car's registration in Italy is called Libretto di circolazione, where the word Libretto is a great fit because the story that comes from the seller often resembles the Libretto of a dramatic Opera.

A buyer I advised to get her dream Fulvia in Italy and import it to California, picked up her dream car, which was form Ovada, Italy, drove it to Holland to sort out a few things only to discover it needed 230 man hours of welding and metal repairs. About 45k$ added. I feel bad for her.

Whatever English saying one may rely on, a used car transaction is ruled by the theory of asymmetric information, money from the buyer is money, the seller knows about the car more than the buyer, so it is only fair to balance that asymmetry whenever we face such a situation, perhaps by stating that the combination of cars don't rust in Italy and I will not show pictures could be a red flag. I realize that in this case I was wrong, because the car and the seller are known to others, and both have a perfect reputation.

Now, how about them pictures :)?

So certainly, this is all an Opera Libretto, with people sitting thousands of miles from a car putting half kingdoms at risk for a 50-year-old princess they've never seen in person, and the king, self-proclaimed first owner, shouting the virtue of the lady that he bought third-hand from a family of occasional drivers and not letting potential buyers see portraits of her

However, there is a point in your digression where I must digress, I feel that there is a third party between buyer and seller in this kind of transaction, the car itself.
Certainly the car knows more about the car than the seller and the buyer combined, but cars don't speak with words.

There is a saying that “you can't judge an egg from the outside”,… I would add… no matter how good the farmer's reputation is, it is the eggs nature
but red flags cannot be distinguished in red skies...so let's make the sky even redder.