CIMG1862.jpg

After
2011_05040051.jpg

More:
http://www.fxgraphix.de/mko/bmw-v8/bmw-cs-m5.html

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, that is amazing. I wish they had kept an E9 themed dash in it though.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mein Gott!

Wow.
One thing though, is it just me or does it appear that the rear suspension had to have a few inches of travel removed to fit? The upper suspension mount seems that it is higher in the isolated frame images than the C-pillar and trunk of the E9 would allow.

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fun Car!
I'd prefer it with Alpina style wheels and a shorter exhaust pipe but it's really an interesting project.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder how much rigidity is left when you do such a thing.

rb1971

Reaction score
Well, now I feel foolish. I had an E9 and an E39 M5 when I started my project - and had no idea I could just combine them (into, I suppose, and EE48?).

alanmcg

Reaction score
rigity

i imagine the rigidity is spectacular - given the entire underbody of the m5 was used.

im serious, why dont a one of you mechanical geniuses (sfdon, peter (coupeking), etc) make one of these here - i will pay the price of a new m5 for the car.

gauntlet down! :)

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
alan,
i think what others are referring to is the fact that, in this photo from the website, you can see that the frame has appeared to have been cut (and i'm guessing shortened).

Attachments

• CIMG1901.jpg
    CIMG1901.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 231

alanmcg

Reaction score
good pt

i noticed that too - but assume if properly welded, would be MUCH more rigid than our current cars.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
whimpy rear bumper

Why do you suppose they used that small bumper (from a 2000 CS? or chromed CSL?). The rear end could use a bit more bumper mass to break up its larger size (with extra the tail pipes) and better match the front. Seems like the skirt below the bumper is taller/less rounded under. Great looking in general, though.

The feel of driving would be very unlike an e9, except perhaps for the visibility and wind noise. Not sure if that is good or bad thing.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the wide e39 wheelbase required so little modification. I've always thought the e9 was quite petite from the rear and to stuff those big rubber boots with just a bit of additional flare - which is beautifully done - well, I thought it would have been more pronounced.

It looks like the rear of the front wheel flare also necessitated bringing the lower quarter panel out - the rear as well.
http://www.fxgraphix.de/mko/bmw-v8/bmw-cs-m5.html

Have a look at the e10 1502 on the site as well - frightening how that would go in a straight line. http://www.fxgraphix.de/mko/bmw-v8/bmw-02.html

I love when something crazy is done so well.

Doug

Honolulu

Reaction score
Hmmmm. given the E9 body has reputedly very little rigidity (thus adding nothing to the floor pan of the M5), how much twist occurs when you let out the clutch at five grand?

still....

alanmcg

Reaction score
one way to find out

any of our german brethren close enough to go give it a test drive? i already sent mail asking if the car was for sale - if it is, i might go over there and drive it myself.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I tip my hat to the builder for staying on such major project to completion. Being a heavy collision man working on uni-body cars for many years I can appreciate how much effort went into the build.

However the idea that the E9 would be as stiff as the later car because of the floor pan change is pretty much wishful fantasy in my eyes. The roof bridging between the front & rear suspensions is what adds a lot of stiffness to uni-body cars. While it certainly adds to the beauty of the car the E9 suffers from very thin roof pillars, no B pillars and worst of all the windshield & back glass aren’t glued in like a modern car. That coupe now has a more modern suspension and a wider track so one has to believe its handling has been improved but I would be very surprised if it is up to what the donor car was. ~ John Buchtenkirch

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Absofrikinlutely ridonculous!!! And, I love it. My only gripe would be the dash, as someone already mentioned, but I'm guessing that it may not have been possible to keep the original one. My 3.5L, MS II, ITBs...blah, blah, blah is now rather impotent in comparison.