BMW Newbie and Potential 1973 CS Restoration

1973cs

Reaction score
I checked out the rear end again just a few minutes ago and I can't see any obvious signs of an impact to the bumper. It does curve in towards the car in the center but the contour is perfectly symmetrical so it doesn't look like the result of accident damage.

The bottom of the bumper appears to be painted with a stone guard type of material as opposed to primer. It still may be covering something up however.

Keep the feedback coming, I really appreciate it!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From you photos it appears that the center of the rear bumper is closer to the body than it is elsewhere which pushes the ends out. There is a stone guard underlayer beneath the paint on the lower rear fenders but it looked smooth and grey in the pics. When coupes are repainted this is often left out and you have a smooth finish there.

1973cs

Reaction score
So very rusty

Well I got a better look at the car tonight and it isn't looking too good.

I checked the engine bay and trunk under the spare tire and things were looking good. The interior is absolutely mint. The blue vinyl seats look like they just left the showroom and the dash and door panels are perfect. Overall I'd give the interior an A Plus. It was at this point that things went downhill. I looked underneath the car and most of what was the floor is a rotted flaking mess. From the drivers footwell all the way the Passenger footwell the floor is completely rotted out. The rockers feel solid, but the cancer has likely spread there too. So with the entire underside of the car rotted out with rust can the shell be saved? Or is this a parts car with a really nice interior?

I'll post up the latest pics tomorrow.

J

jmackro

Reaction score
So with the entire underside of the car rotted out with rust can the shell be saved?

Sure, anything can be saved. But, you would be "underwater" by the time you got it finished. Starting with a less rusted car - even if it costs you more than $1,500 - will be more cost-effective in the end.

Or is this a parts car with a really nice interior?

Probably. Obviously, I haven't personally inspected it. Nor am I an expert. But, yea, it sort of sounds that way.

Keep looking - they're out there.

61porsche

Reaction score
Newbie- the one that got away.

Dear Newbie,

Post the pictures. Many of us bought coupes because of reasons that can't be logically explained. All of us has had work done and there's always the next project/ catastrophe/annoyance to fix.

Rust is a problem to overcome and prevent. The bodies were built before galvanizing was used by car manufacturers or could afford it. It doesn't have to be a deal killer if you know ahead of time. Floors rust and can be replaced and sometimes it's not what you thought it was that was the cause. ( Can you imagine that headers can cause a floor to rust? Or a leaky door seal?)

Looking at your pictures and thinking about it leads me to say (IMHO) that if the Owner is willing to sell it for $1500 and you had to just patch the pans temporarily or replace them; it's a steal. But everyone is different with different needs/ budgets/ abilities and I for one can respect that. But it doesn't appear to be a parts car to me.

All of us have heard the stories of barn finds. It does happen; but rarely.
But most of us, have regrets for the one that got away, sold, etc.:cry:

In the end it's your call. Buy what makes you feel good at price that makes sense to you and makes you smile.( Maybe a few others will smile back.):-D

61Porsche

1973cs

Reaction score
Here are pics of the underside

I couldn't get a very good shot, but you can get an idea of the degree of rust. These shots were taken from the Driver's side.

Attachments

• 2010 05 23_0136.jpg
    2010 05 23_0136.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 2010 05 23_0137.jpg
    2010 05 23_0137.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 2010 05 23_0138.jpg
    2010 05 23_0138.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 2010 05 23_0139.jpg
    2010 05 23_0139.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 178

1973cs

Reaction score
Pics from the engine compartment

The first is a shot of the back of the glove compartment, the second is of the engine which has a fair amount of surface rust on the air box, and the third is of the seam between the engine compartment and the fender which looks fairly good.

Attachments

• 2010 05 23_0127.jpg
    2010 05 23_0127.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2010 05 23_0129.jpg
    2010 05 23_0129.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 2010 05 23_0130.jpg
    2010 05 23_0130.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 179

1973cs

Reaction score
Shots inside the trunk

Here are some shots of he front and rear, dash and driver's side door.

Attachments

• 2010 05 23_0131.jpg
    2010 05 23_0131.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 2010 05 23_0132.jpg
    2010 05 23_0132.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2010 05 23_0133.jpg
    2010 05 23_0133.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 2010 05 23_0134.jpg
    2010 05 23_0134.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 177

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Parts car!

If the floor pans are is such bad shape then the chances that the rocker panels (which involve 2-3 layers of sheet metal sandwiched together; fender, rocker and rocker cover) are going to be in bad shape. All the salt / water that caused the floor pan damage will have gotten into the wheel well areas which means new front inner and outer fenders at ±$2k per side just for new sheet metal. In the photo of the top of the fender it looks like it has been patched or covered. It should be smooth with a layer of asphalt insulation along the top. The 'A' pillars where everything comes together could need rebuilding (where the rockers and fenders all come together. Did you get a peek up into the front fender areas? At the rear of the front fender well you will see the leading edge of the 'A' pillar box. Tap around with a screwdriver to see if you find any holes.

At that price I suppose you could buy the car with the backup plan of parting it out. You would learn a lot about these cars in your further probing into the rust areas (and dismantling). Worst case, part it out and make a few extra dollars towards purchase of a better one, or, if the rust really is just on the floors, then restore it. Not a huge risk for $1,500. The other thing to consider, is that it may take a couple of years before you get to drive it.

1973cs

Reaction score
I guess the only way to tell for sure how far gone the car is would be to get it on a lift. If it folds in half in the process I'll know its had it :-D

But seriously, I appreciate the feedback. The part of this car that is most damaged is also the one that seems to go on most cars, so I'd think it would be difficult and expensive to get a sectioned piece of the tub to splice in. What would a rolling shell with minimal rust cost me? Even if it needed pretty extensive bondo and paint work plus a little bit of rust abatement it would likely be easier for me to deal with that and transplant the interior and mechanical guts. Otherwise, assuming the rockers have somehow managed to survive the floor pan cancer where can I get new pans and what cost am I looking at. I have access to a full shop and welding gear so I can donate as much sweat equity to the car as necessary.

If I can't get a rolling shell and I can't save the existing body this really will be a parts car. In this case what do you think all the various bit and pieces would fetch? I'd assume the sale of the interior would help m recover most if not all of the 1500 if that's what the owner sells it to me for.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

J

gary bellamy

Reaction score
73 coupe

Hey Newbie I just recently joined forum as well.
I saw your post & wanted to let you know I live in Newmarket & maybe I can be of assistance, as I just purchased a 73cs chamonix last fall and may be able to shed some light as to costs etc. Contact me if interested.

MR B[email protected]