BMW racing obscura questions

Shawn Essex

Reaction score
Questions relating to Jeremy Walton's "Unbeatable BMW"

1. Jeremy states that there were 2 BMW lightweight e9 coupes that were returned to BMW after the Broadspeed consultancy ended in 1972. Is there any info/pics of the 2nd prototype e9 available? (1st prototype wound up at Vasek Polak by 1973 with motorsport white/stripe paint job and grp 5 wings). Have never seen pics or info on 2nd prototype.

2. Jeremy states that Alpina ran rear inboard brakes in 1972 racing. Any pics/indo of this set up?

Thanks,
Shawn

roundel

Reaction score
Q # 1...BMW sent two CSL street cars to BMW GB in autumn `71, 2211343 (Inka..) and 2211347 ( colorado..)....... 2211347 became the only Broadspeed Group 2 prototype, which was returned to BMW who as you say then sold the car to Vasek Polak in the USA. I brought the car back to the UK in the 1990`s, it now lives in Munich. However 2211343 remained as a street car, but during 1972 was used as a donor body for the BMW GB Group 1 car that was destroyed in an accident. Unfortunately that too was destroyed in another accident soon after...
Q # 2....I believe that was the case but I have never seen any pictures.
Alex

roundel

Reaction score
Sorry I was relying on my memory...2211343 was the Broadspeed car not 347........

Shawn Essex

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies/link Alek and frogisland.

I was not aware of a connection between BMW (Concessionaires) GB Limited and Broadspeed. Thought that the 2 lightweight prototype e9s were only ever in the hands of Broadspeed before being returned to BMW in Germany after consultancy ended. Makes sense why only 1 e9 (Broadspeed modified) is pictured with early motorsport paint scheme at factory before being shipped off to Vasek Polak. Sounds like 2nd lightweight prototype never made it back to BMW Germany. Thanks for the info.

I will keep the search up for info/pics on the 1972 Alpina racing rear inboard brake set up.

Thanks again.

Shawn

Shawn Essex

Reaction score
By the way, what is the current state of the Broadspeed car now located in Munich? Still done up as the later Vasek Polak car or returned to Broadspeed specs? Any pics?
Shawn

roundel

Reaction score
The Broadspeed car went from me to Sweden, from there to a new owner in Munich. It is now with Mint Classics but minus its original M52/3 engine.