Brake Booster Delete or Downsize

CallumNicklin

Reaction score
Hey all,

A question for those who have fitted a 2002Tii booster...

Please see attached pic. Does it look like this will be small enough to work these ITBs and a shorter trumpet? Or, any other systems that might work better?

Also considering a servo delete and switching M/Cs. Anyone on here done this?

Cheers,
Cal

Attachments

• BBB36E3E-C8E1-41B5-A46F-A3469E64F61E.png
    BBB36E3E-C8E1-41B5-A46F-A3469E64F61E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
  • 249AF257-5DC2-4F43-AA84-B77D2896731C.png
    249AF257-5DC2-4F43-AA84-B77D2896731C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 326
  • 758CAA1C-37AC-4005-9D23-DA93B2000A0C.png
    758CAA1C-37AC-4005-9D23-DA93B2000A0C.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 290

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THE TII WOULD STILL HIT WITH THE (E) LENGTH
I WOULD GET THE TI AND ALSO SHORTEN THE HORNS THAT WOULD WORK
HICE SETUP THOUGH I LIKE THE INJECTOR INPUT LOCATIONS

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
No, those won't work. You cannot come straight out from the carbs and keep the stock brake booster location with horns that long. I know somebody makes horns like yours with a 15 degree upwards cant. (I know this because I recently bought a stash of old carb parts and have a few of these).

I found a guy making reproduction Alfa horns (from the GTV, I think), and this is what I have gone to. That is a tii booster under the horns
Engine Bay.jpg
:

Engine Bay.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Before you swap your trumpets or the brake booster. Research whether a fuel injected ITB really needs to be “level” (Yeah I know the carbs aren’t perfectly level). Most ITB manifolds are recycled carb manifolds. You could get a shorter, straighter version, or mount them upside down. Take a look at any m30 with a slide throttle, or any number of JDM motors with ITB’s...

BMW:
442E380F-4019-43B5-A0F5-5CC29F65BDBE.jpeg

VW:
CBDC6803-61BE-40CF-B795-C264B8117EAE.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You could get a shorter, straighter version, or mount them upside down. Take a look at any m30 with a slide throttle, or any number of JDM motors with ITB’s...

Confirmed that you can’t mount the manifold upside down. It fits, but the ITB-side flange is not reversible.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Before you swap your trumpets or the brake booster. Research whether a field injected ITB really needs to be “level” (Yeah I know the carbs aren’t perfectly level). Most ITB manifolds are recycled carb manifolds. You could get a shorter, straighter version, or mount them upside down. Take a look at any m30 with a slide throttle, or any number of JDM motors with ITB’s...

BMW:
View attachment 67565

VW:
View attachment 67564
Markos -- further to your suggestion -- and apologies to all for the thread highjack -- At Cars n Coffee on Saturday I was looking over an itb install a local guy did on a Datsun 240Z to replace the factory carbs (I was primarily interested in his Electromotive ignition setup). His intake manifold was canted upward about 15 degrees as you suggest.

Honolulu

Reaction score
This isn't my area but noting the 2002 carbs(?) mounted on a phenolic spacer for heat insulation reasons, could one make up a set of six, or pair, of such phenolic blocks that have an angle cut into them? The material would be relatively easy to machine...

lloyd

Reaction score
Hey all,

A question for those who have fitted a 2002Tii booster...

Please see attached pic. Does it look like this will be small enough to work these ITBs and a shorter trumpet? Or, any other systems that might work better?

Also considering a servo delete and switching M/Cs. Anyone on here done this?

Cheers,
Cal

https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/brake-booster-delete.15489/

Have heard that the FI Volvo P1800 used the same tii booster, or that they they can be made to interchange. That said, I recall seeing the same model Volvo with a slightly smaller aftermarket booster, that may have had a Bosch sticker rather than one from ATE.

TiiBrakeBooster_zps23554793.jpg

But what about something that projects less from the firewall, like this from an E46 (2002 330i) ?? (No, I do not have any dimensions)

maxresdefault.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This isn't my area but noting the 2002 carbs(?) mounted on a phenolic spacer for heat insulation reasons, could one make up a set of six, or pair, of such phenolic blocks that have an angle cut into them? The material would be relatively easy to machine...

It doesn’t look like the idea of angling the ITB’s is getting much traction. I had a similar idea as yours for the coolant flange spacer. Angle it away from carb/itb #1. The problem with your approach is that the studs wouldn’t line up with the manifold holes.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't think a booster that mounts closer, or that is thinner would help much. The bracket that the booster mounts to places the booster into the air flow path outside the center of a three carburetor setup. If you could move it back, you would merely be moving the interference to the carb closest to the firewall.

gazzol

Reaction score
i have a servo delete with a Tilton pedal box....
How is the braking effort with this setup? Am thinking of a servo delete myself but am worried about the effort required to press the ge pedal. What size are the master cylinders? I'm assuming there are two.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
How is the braking effort with this setup? Am thinking of a servo delete myself but am worried about the effort required to press the ge pedal. What size are the master cylinders? I'm assuming there are two.
there are indeed 2 master cilinders. But , sorry , i don't remember the size… should look "if" i can see it. First they were mounted on the oem frame in the engine bay using the oem pedals but i changed that to a Tilton pedal box with the cilinders in the car . Therefore we had to weld a box in the car , partly into the frame rail. Even reinforced the box , so it is sure stronger than the frame was .
pedalbox 001.JPG

pedalbox 002.JPG

Braking is fine... but i do have the big Wilwood calipers in front....
SAM_2791.JPG

Last edited:

gazzol

Reaction score
Confirmed that you can’t mount the manifold upside down. It fits, but the ITB-side flange is not reversible.
The throttle bodies don't care which way up they are, unlike carburettors they can go upside down the fuel rail will still fill with fuel and the injectors will spray just fine. It might look odd but that's only because we are used to seeing injectors at the top. It would save you a lot of messing around.