Brake Booster Replacement

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Hi,

No, I bought all the parts but have decided to go a different route now.

I have decided to go even a bit more modern in what I'm doing and use a conventional booster (in this case from a Alfa 166 (booster is smallish diameter but double diaphragm)) mount this on the LH side of the engine bay on a custom mounting frame of the standard hole / mount in the fire wall, but where it gets a bit funky is
that I am going to operate this with a rotating tube that runs across the engine bay from strut tower to strut tower, this tube will have drop arms that drop down into the engine bay and get attached to the brake peddle and the booster via push rods, this was quite normal practice for manufactures back in the 70's and 80's when making their RH drive models, sometimes this mechanism was in the engine bay and sometimes up under the dash.

I am also upgrading the brakes at the wheels going to 330mm x 28mm thick disks and using the 4 pot Brembo calipers from the Alfa 166 as well.

Should stop well!

Steve
Wow, yes pretty funky! I'm also running some large brakes and calipers, e36M3 with 315mm. I like your idea but late in my build so probably to late for anything that engineered. Just wish someone made a powerful dual circuit remote!

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, The remote systems are a rubbish, may have been OK in the 70's but by today's standards (or even the late 80's for that matter) they are terrible hence they way I'm going.
I really like having good brakes, they are a big part of the driving experience for me, I dislike mine so much I really don't drive the car because if them.

I have some pics on my phone of my mock up I have done in timber I can send you if you like, PM me you cell number / face book etc and I will see if I can send them to you.

System is pretty much bolt on so you could make it work possibly if you wanted to.

By the way, I still have all the Hydro boost stuff here if you are thinking of going down that road and still need to buy it all, I have the master cyl, valve block, reservoir , master cyl rebuild seal kit and a new pressure bomb.

Steve

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Regarding the Tii booster's use in the CS. It is not a performance equivalent. You will need to apply more brake pressure than on a car with a stock booster. Also the length is either 1" shorter or longer (I forget which at the moment), so some aspect of the system would need adjusting. In my case, new SS brake lines took care of this dimensional change.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are more interested in ‘go’. Than ‘show.’

If yes, You could look into pad compounds with higher coef of friction, which will help offset the harder pedal with a small booster. The difference in performance can be quite significant. Porterfield has a pad compound (R41) which is up near 0.6 even when relatively cold. They are a track-type pad so they are dusty. Also, they can be a bit too grabby/sensitive for easy modulation by soccer moms/dads in modern cars. And they will squeal a bit when cold.

R41 is probably best suited to E9 owners who are enthusiast-type drivers who don’t drive in sub-freezing temps and have stock (small) brakes. But it also reduces required brake pressure.

Last edited: