Brake fluid flush--Clutch slave cylinder

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to flush the system on my 3.0CS with a 5 speed trans. Where is the clutch slave? I'm replacing the brake reservoir and lines to the master cylinder so the clutch needs new fluid also. I photo would be helpful. Thanks!

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Clutch slave is attached to the drivers side of the trans. Follow the line from the master down under. I highly recommend you dig up SFdon's youtube video on bleeding the clutch as it will make your life much easier. I just had success with it this week.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks.. I did this years ago on my 2002 and will use a power vacuum bleeder on all of the bleeder valves.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw his name,but could not find his post about this topic. Youtube does not have it using his name as a search either.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Clutch slave is attached to the drivers side of the trans. Follow the line from the master down under. I highly recommend you dig up SFdon's youtube video on bleeding the clutch as it will make your life much easier. I just had success with it this week.

Please post the Youtube link you mentioned. Looked for it but turned up nothing searching under SFdon, Don Lawrence, E9 clutch bleeding or BMW 3.0 CS clutch bleeding.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw that video on YouTube also. Once I was under the car, it was the same as bleeding the slave cylinder on my 2002 about 40 years ago.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am having trouble flushing new fluid through my clutch slave cylinder for routine maintenance. This is not air in the system, this is I can’t access the bileed nipple very well. Do I have the bleed nipple and flex hose around the wrong way?
When I built it I assumed the bleed nipple goes at the top, but the picture on this video shows the opposite.
Which is correct please?
I have the late style slave cylinder.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure on E9 as mine is an automatic but on the E24, the line to the slave is flexible. I have found it easier to remove the slave while still hooked to the hose and turn the thing upside down so the bleeder is non dependent, then bleed it like your brakes.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys
My issue is not bleeding it, it is flushing out old fluid. But, if I do as you suggest and remove it from the transmission then I will have decent access.
I am also thinking of swapping the routing of the flex hose input and bleed nipple, to make future access to the bleed nipple easier. Again, all about flushing and bleeding out air. But first I will try as you suggest and see how easy it is to remove to do the flush.

If you are wondering, why all the fuss about flushing the clutch.
During my first real drive of the car, the clutch slave failed, rust in the bore damaging the seals. The service records show that the previous owner had the exact same failure. It is shared fluid with the brakes, so I want to be sure that all the fluid is flushed and all traces of contamination and water are removed. I suspect this is neglected with many cars.

Will let you all know.

Best wishes
Charles

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
To flush the fluid through the clutch slave cylinder I did what Bavbob suggested, left the flex hose attached but removed it from the transmission. 3/8 drive socket and racket, easy. Excellent access to flush it using a Gunson Easybleed with very low pressure from my bike tyre. Then refitted it.
I did this to be sure to get as much brake fluid changed as possible whilst changing the brake fluid.
Thanks For the suggestion.