Calendar Car Details

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is the tread to post info about your coupe if it is in the 2015 calendar. Thank you for all the positive feedback, it is greatly appreciated

Here is my info.
May is Athena, my '73 3.0 CSi. She was a 20th anniversary gift to my wife. The shot was taken by Brad Day at The Vintage in Winston-Salem. The photo was used as the cover of Scott Study's Vintage magazine #17 covering the 2012 event, which was Athena's longest road trip at the time. In fact that spring we drove her over 6,000 miles. It was an adventure driving to the event, we took both Athena & Vern that year. That was the year we had to replace her alternator. Billy Revis at Motorsport Connections did an excellent job, they are the go to shop in W-S.

My wife, Cindy Carraway-Wilson, was interviewed with Athena by a local TV station covering The Vintage that year. http://triadnc.twcnews.com/content/658033/old-salem-hosts-vintage-bmw-car-show/

I chose the shot because it was the only picture taken at The Vintage in May that was large enough to print well.

The picture is also my avatar.

Attachments

• athena R copy.jpg
    athena R copy.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 155

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine is Miss April.

My son took the picture with his new Canon lens during a late afternoon photoshoot in Audubon Park among the oak trees and spanish moss.

I went full on driving lights and he focused on the vintage german plate which incidentally still has it's mid-70's Munich registration stickers on it, apparently this is unusual to see because by law they are supposed to be removed/scratched off when the plate is taken out of service.

Am humbled to have been included, thanks Andrew!

IMG_1711_2.JPG

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
First off, I want to say that I'm honored to have my car be Ms August. I've owned cool cars in my life, but none that I've ever been proud to show off, so this is a first for me.

My buddy is an excellent photographer, and when I bought my Coupe back in Nov 2013 he and I talked about shooting a bunch of shots of it, but we never got around to it. Finally in August I had a week off of work, as I was supposed to race some motorcycles at Bonneville Speed Week, but it was rained out, so I came home.

I called him up, and we stopped by a little park in Palo Alto during the golden hour of light, and he shot a few hundred pictures, and posted the best ones to his Flickr stream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/teal_hushypushy/with/14930926282/

My car is a nice 10 footer, and he made it look like a million bucks. The shot that was selected for August is amazing, and I had it printed on a sheet of aluminum. After she saw it in person, I convinced my lady to allow me to hang a picture of my car in the front room. It's art, it just happens to be art that involves my car. :mrgreen:

in the valley by hushypushy, on Flickr

BMW's official classic Facebook page was kind enough to share one of the shots of my Coupe out of that set as well. It's been a blast owning something worthy of sharing.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Picture quality

Hi Andrew, well, this year is not officially over and I'm already thinking of next years' calendar :) What is the best resolution for our submissions. Sometimes cool shots get captured on iPhones but that may not translate well on the big screen!

Thanks,

PS- sent a PM

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Partial Miss November here

Hi all!

Thank you Andrew, first of all for putting together the calendar for all of us to enjoy and, secondly, for including my redhead as part of the November display.

I found my coupe three years ago, the somewhat unloved and unwanted stepchild of an E24 M6 fanatic.

I've given her the love she deserves and, in return, she has treated me well. We've ventured to Lime Rock and Saratoga to the north, and south to the Vintage twice. She is very much a work in progress.

The photo was taken last summer after a blissful afternoon of washing, polishing, and waxing. The picture was my reward to myself for the effort. Hope you all enjoy the fruits of my labor!

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Andrew, well, this year is not officially over and I'm already thinking of next years' calendar :) What is the best resolution for our submissions. Sometimes cool shots get captured on iPhones but that may not translate well on the big screen!

Thanks,

PS- sent a PM

The pictures need to be about 4 MB or more in size to be 300dpi at 9" x 12" to be able to print correctly. I had dozens of great pictures I wanted to include but they were too small for the print requirements. The larger the file the better.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Miss Feb 72 csa polaris/red leather

First, as most all have said, thanks Andrew...not just for doing the calender, and for such a great quality job, but for the almost zero time-frame in which you did it...And I appreciated the subtle details; snow in dec, leaves in oct, athena in Winston-Salem in may, and Hilda in Feb...she looks like Feb; sadly cold and neglected, like she should have a runny nose...The evil twin of the GRTWHT of Stan...
Bought her sight-unseen, out of coastal VA from a guy that even delivered it to me here in western NC, but a rear caliper was sticking when he (over-)drove it up on the trailer,thus the dent in the front bumper. Murray Fowler came east for the Vintage that year (07), and reviewed the car as "an original reference book...but not worth saving".. The rust is all original, as well. The GOOD (74 Polaris), the BAD (not that bad..72 Arctis Blau), and Hilda the 72 Chamonix UGLY; they stay in the car "barn", Hilda's out of sight behind (marital edict)...I can't yet bring myself to chop her up, as that would be like killing a mockingbird.
Peter, the pics are with my wife's I-phone 5, FWIW. Maybe Andrew will post my crusty Hofmeister kink shot, since I can't do so...Athena's is prettier on the cover...
Sorry so wordy...want to hear about my dog...?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not Athena's kink on the cover. I don't recall who sent the dewey kink I used.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 151

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok April is my photo taken at Amelia Island Concours March 2014.

Number 59 in the back belongs to Kemper Miller and was bought from Peter Greg in 1976.

Number 25 is owned by BMWNA and is raced at Vintage events by BMWNA CEO Ludwig Willisch.

Number #51 BMW 3.0 CSL that also raced at Le Mans and won the 1973 European Sedan Championship. It is currently owned and still raced in vintage events by long-time BMW CCA members Scott and Fran Hughes.

The Calder car was also there but incased in a Plexiglas case.

My car and other photo are November and the blue coupe in the upper right is mine. Ironically the photo was taken at Amelia Island in a State Park.

Great job Andrew and thanks for the memories..............

Added photos of Calder under glass and my thorn (blue coupe) between two roses.

Attachments

• Calder under glass.jpg
    Calder under glass.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 169
  • Coupes Amelia 14.jpg
    Coupes Amelia 14.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
The cover "dewey kink" shot and December car are of my '73 CS.

The kink was shot early in the morning outside the Howe Sound Brew Pub Hotel in Squamish BC while on a road to a wedding. Loved the way the sunrise played on the curves and flat surfaces with the uniform coat of moisture.

The December shot was taken by my friend, Warren Mackie, with camera gear I have always lusted for but could never purchase - the car gets the money. Mt Rundle and Two Jack Lake in the background - both in Banff National Park (in the Rocky Mountains, Alberta, Canada).

The car is a not very original (once was Malaga), somewhat modified (EFI 3.5 M90B35 etc etc) with a touch of rust and working on an authentic patina from much driving and tinkering.

Thanks Andrew and Happy New Year to all,

Doug

duane_sword

Reaction score
January calendar coupes

The four coupes you can see from left to right in "January" are;
* TomS with his black CS which now carries the plate "DROOL" (under-going major upgrades this winter - exciting stuff!)
* StanC with "GR8WHT" (who also floated on his air-mattress in the great flood of 2013)
* DuaneS (that would be me) with my 3.0CS Alpina
* AndrewS (our calendar maestro) and his E9 "Athena"
* there was a 5th coupe there, out of photo shot, but it was TodB with his sweet 2800CS Nacht Blau

See the attached for the wider angle shot.

The photo brings back great memories of the vintage racing weekend at Lime Rock Park in 2013.... we also called it "The Year of the Flood". As you can see the tents behind the coupes and the calm before one of the most intense thunderstorms with solid torrential rain for hours on end.... fellow E9 colleagues were said to be floating on water on their air-mattresses with 3"+ of rain inside their tents... yes there was alcohol involved but this was very real not hallucinations.

Attachments

• Year_of_the_Flood_LRP2013.jpg
    Year_of_the_Flood_LRP2013.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 201

dbower

Reaction score
Miss October

I think October is George Whiteley, Blairsville/Atlanta Georgia. Gary Beck, correct me if I'm wrong.

Don

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The photo brings back great memories of the vintage racing weekend at Lime Rock Park in 2013.... we also called it "The Year of the Flood". As you can see the tents behind the coupes and the calm before one of the most intense thunderstorms with solid torrential rain for hours on end.... fellow E9 colleagues were said to be floating on water on their air-mattresses with 3"+ of rain inside their tents... yes there was alcohol involved but this was very real not hallucinations.....

It felt like a hallucination when I woke up at o'dark early, stepped out of my tent and into 6" of water. In horror, I slogged over to my coupe and found it up to the rocker panel in water. I climbed in and drove to higher ground. I think the good soaking did not help my fuel pump's longevity as it died after that.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This 1971 BMW 2800CS is owned by George Whiteley of Blairsville, GA. This particular car has been in my possession for a little over two years, but I have been a BMW enthusiast for more than four decades having owned eleven of Bavaria’s Ultimate Driving Machines.

This Nacht Blau Bimmer beauty is extensively modified with a sympathetic eye towards looking like the classic it is. Modifications include a fuel injected 3.5 liter M30B34 engine from a Euro e24 along with a Getrag 5 speed transmission, tuned suspension, sport exhaust and Alpina closed-hub wheels. These pictures were taken near my home in the north Georgia Mountains.

Attachments

• IMG_9209-002.jpg
    IMG_9209-002.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 138

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andrew, as many have said, thanks for the hard work! I'm sure it was fun but hard work none-the-less. That seems to be a common theme with members here :)

I wonder if we could do a "runner-up" post; I'm sure there are some interesting shots! Love the Lime Rock gathering!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Andrew, I join the rest of the forum in thanking you for doing this. Here's the story on the Luigi CSL.

Luigi chassis #001 won the 1976 European Touring Car Championship. Driven by Jean Xhenceval and Pierre Dieudonne the car had 7 wins in 1976, but unfortunately had DNF's in the two biggest races of the year- the Spa 24 Hr. race, and the Grosser Preis der Tourenwagen race at the Nurburgring.

It was sold to Martino Finnoto at the end of 1976 and won 5 more races in 1977 at the hands of Carlo Facetti and Martino Finotto. #001 was the runner up in the championship that year.

#001 was sold again at the end of 1977 to privateer Alessandro Fracastoro. The car continued to win hill climbs and touring car races in the Italian series until it was retired at the end of the 1981 season. Its last in-period race was the Trofeo Urat in Solerno in October of that year.

It sat in a barn in Italy until 1992 when it was purchased by Sr. Adolfo Panizza. He had the car restored by Luigi Moreschi Motorsports to Motorsports livery. Sr. Panizza ran the car in select hill climbs and vintage races until 2001. The car was retired a second time to his collection.

I purchased the car from Mr. Panizza in January 2014 and had it shipped to the US. The car arrived at SeaTac airport on January 28.

Racecraft in Woodinville, WA undertook the restoration of the car. My intention was to restore it to its Group 2 1976 Castrol livery and return it to the track. Racecraft had the car back on the road in exactly 100 days and we were able to debut the car at the Sonoma Historic Motorsports Festival last May.

I put together a video on the history of the car and the incredible job done by Racecraft. It features period 8 mm film of the car competing at the Nurburgring in 1976 with Hans Stuck at the wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnqCVT8Nm4&list=UUwCqF1cAp-CSUkT23vr6yLA&spfreload=10

Last edited: