Carpet Followup

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Latest communication from Cabrio. Not good news. My reading is we are unlikely to see the carpet, certainly not for a while. If something should change will advise accordingly.

Oh....and big thanks to Jesus for jumping into this. Unfortunate not a better outcome.

John

Communication below:

Dear Jesus, Dear John

last week I had the possibility to speak with the relevant people regarding
production. Actual situation is, that the production capacities of nearly
all carpet manufacturers who are able to make carpets like the required, are
overcrowded with large regular orders at the moment. We have even problems
to get e. g. the regular 2-tone charcoal, which is the most demanded colour
of all. As long as the production is behind with the regular main colours,
there is no big chance to make any discussions regarding special colours. We
also have several orders pending in the blue-grey and we definitely declared
those customers that we have no reliable time schedule to offer. So most
switched to other colours, some re-use their old carpets and some angry went
away. Unfortunately we are only in-between, and we also loose a lot of
business and reputation with actual not-realizing of this special
production. Generally we are keeping our "waiting position", as we know from
other projects, that years can pass until those things are realized. Are you
interested in a alternative offer for charcoal and other already existing
colours for those who can not wait?
Please let me know.
Thank you.

Best regards

Klaus

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Is there any news on the carpet kits? Again, I just wanted to make sure I'm down for 3 carpets sets. I know there are 22 people, but I have several cars.

Thanks, Tom

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
World Upholstery makes a great quality two tone gray. So does Cabrio incidentally and with the weak Euro may be of interest to others.

Grey / blue per the original. That was goal. Custom run with low production numbers, an active economy killed it this year. They are all booked. Guess if the economy was in the tank we would have had a better chance. Mixed blessings.

Patience is required and if there are immediate needs not the right answer.

I am not in a hurry, fortunately, as the car has an excellent velour blue carpet. Just not quite right and I'll wait for the correct subtitute if it can be made to happen.

It was a serious attempt. Wish the report was otherwise.

John

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for your and DQ's efforts so far in this process. My carpet is pretty darn good, but having the correct new carpet in inventory for the car's next owner (my Son or Daughter??) seems like a good idea. Hopefully it happens one day.

skb

Reaction score
Copy of an email I sent to Cabrio. Will keep forum advised of response. If positive perhaps there may be enough critical mass to make a purchase happen. I am looking at match for Navy interior.

John

Greetings

There has been a lot of interest in your carpet kits on the E9coupe.com forum in the U.S. Your carpet pile and colors are very close the original but not an exact match.

Is it possible to provide you a sample and get a special run of carpet that is closer to an exact match. If possible how may carpet sets would you need to sell to make the special run. And at what cost per set.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'm interested in the tan loop carpet for my 1970 2800 CS, if it can match the original.
SKB

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi SKB

We are not longer in contact with Cabrio. I would suggest you contact them directly.

John

sorry John
i am still in contact with Klaus
his last answer was: (sept2016)

"no news yet, I visited the producer some time ago. The fiber still sits in
the same place as last time, I also heard the same words as last time. They
increase their capacity a lot but also gained order volume."

i will continue this search

tomcolitt

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates and your efforts John and DQ. The only thing I could add or suggest is that in my experience Germany is often not the best place for getting something like this done in a cost efficient and timely manner. This could be a shot in the dark, but I have seen some good reproduction parts for Mercedes come out of Poland although I don't have any particular contacts for carpeting in that area. Also, how about low-wage countries like India or even China?...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates and your efforts John and DQ. The only thing I could add or suggest is that in my experience Germany is often not the best place for getting something like this done in a cost efficient and timely manner. This could be a shot in the dark, but I have seen some good reproduction parts for Mercedes come out of Poland although I don't have any particular contacts for carpeting in that area. Also, how about low-wage countries like India or even China?...

i agree, but i do not have contacts there
i am also very favourable to the quality and respect for klaus products
i know he is still struggling to get this done, i am in his list, if ever this is done i will know about it and i will comment it here
i am not able to start a new route

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if anybody wants to send me a small piece of blue carpet, i will see if i can find the correct colors of nylon or wool from fiber producers of the blue + gray.