cars worth

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alan,

I think that folks may be hesitant to respond. Your car is highly personalized and you have endeared a lot pain with the wiring, and tuning. I think is the price that some pay for a transparent build thread. I’ve never made your life easy since I joined
so I’m happy to chime in. :D

If I were you I wouldn’t ask for less than $50K. All joking aside you have a clean e9 with lots of go
fast parts, fresh paint, and a desireable driveline.

If I was actually selling, I would do a number of things First, include receipts, especially the latest work from Bill Watson. I would also remove the stickers, swap the roundels, remove the badges, remove the disc changer, backdate the radio,
and undo the speaker boxes. I would also paint the valve cover and ITB “manifold” black. All of this is relatively cheap/free. Even though I have a stupid array of accessory gauges myself, I would remove those also. Lastly, I would ditch the two batteries and mount a single battery in a Korman tower brace/battery mount. Finally, take lots daylight pictures, preferably by a professional photographer. Flash photography inside a dark carport isn’t doing your interior any favors. :)

If you aren’t selling, don’t change a thing. The hardest decision will be listening to the motor or Jerry’s voice over the stereo. :)

Attachments

• 58048452-1F0A-43D4-987A-7E0EDB265682.jpeg
    58048452-1F0A-43D4-987A-7E0EDB265682.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 128

Rek

Reaction score
Having seen the prices which some 'nails' go for, $50k for this seem very low. This gives a good discussion on the matter and makes interesting reading.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fs-1973-3-0cs-alpina-tribute.3833/

Alan, I have not met you nor have I seen or been in your car. From this discussion, had you offered the car for sale at $50k when I contemplated E9 ownership, I would have sent one of my kids as security deposit, raised the cash by selling internal organs and been over to buy it in a heartbeat.

The mention of Paul Cain's car in the thread is interesting too. I would start at $100k and let the market decide what its worth. You can always come down, but the worst feeling in the world is selling then having the phone ring off the hook with buyers as you know it was too cheap.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having had a little more time reading through the build thread, seeing a few recent pictures, and reading 3rd party descriptions, I see that a lot of time and energy has gone into the build. I know it is hard to put a value on one's time, but certainly appreciate the desire to do so. While I do believe the value of this finished car is $50k+, I feel it is helpful to play devil's advocate. Because the car is so personalized and specific, there would likely be a certain percentage of the market that would just be interested in the engine. For that subset, I would think the value would be less - even though the buyer of the "engine" would get a coupe as a bonus. That said, I concur with @Markos comments that by removing some of the added on customization, the car would appeal to a broader market. With that done, I would expect the car to fetch a higher price.

Of course, if you are not selling, then finish it up, press the go pedal, and keep it out of the wall. It should be a whole load of fun. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can you give us a link to the build thread?
I was going to post it, but cant' seem to find it at the moment.

Alan, in looking at your fantastic collection of grill badges, I am worried that adding one more (the new badge that I hope to send out soon) may starve that big engine of much needed O2 - ha ha. But I am a sucker for a good grill badge, so I understand. :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to post it, but cant' seem to find it at the moment.

Alan, in looking at your fantastic collection of grill badges, I am worried that adding one more (the new badge that I hope to send out soon) may starve that big engine of much needed O2 - ha ha. But I am a sucker for a good grill badge, so I understand. :D

That's the first thing I thought too. I had a E-type a while back and the previous owner had the license plate mounted directly in the center of the small opening blocking about 50% or more of the air flow. I ran without the plate for ten years and never got stopped.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m fixated on the battery...
Can’t get over it....

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
thats wonderful
thank you for all your considerate input.
and ill heed markos comments and perform the needed revisions
i do like the idea of the rear brace. clean and functional.
ive had a real hard time getting bill to get the written tacks but will surely need it for
my general knowledge of whats happened to the system
the link is in restoration 4310316 begins.
i am going to sell it after a year or so as i just have no garage to keep in.
so there it is.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Well no one has stated a hard number, so, based on my experiences with some fifteen 2002s, a 2800CS, euro 635CSi, various E12s, and so on, and my recent 325xi purchase, I'll start the bidding. I'm far far away in Honolulu so I would have to incur considerable relocation SOSs (heck I don't even know right now where the car is) but one has to put one's hat in the ring somewhere! $500 USD. Do I hear $550?
J/K, okay?