Center Console Blank Renew...kinda

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine were the usual, crispy and flaking so nothing to lose. I had some chrome wrap left over so....here is what I started with after cleaning the blank to get a smooth surface. I left the center with ridges cause I knew I could not get that fine ridge detail
IMG_1542.JPG

Next, cut out a piece of chrome wrap. It looks like crap because it has a thin protective clear over it that is removed at the end. Also adhesive back which was taken off.
IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544 (1).JPG

Cut each corner on a diagonal, fold one edge around the corner, cut the other edge straight. When done on all four corners, I used a razor to cut out the center.

IMG_1547.JPG

Used a hairdryer to work all the corners and edges smooth, tacked down along the back with the adhesive backing, where the turn was too great/ no stick, I used a dab of crazy glue. Peeled off the protective coating:
IMG_1548.JPG

Then installed. The Switch is original. Not perfect but you cannot tell unless you look close. Best alternative I could come up with.
IMG_1550.JPG

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine were the usual, crispy and flaking so nothing to lose. I had some chrome wrap left over so....here is what I started with after cleaning the blank to get a smooth surface. I left the center with ridges cause I knew I could not get that fine ridge detail
View attachment 109123

Next, cut out a piece of chrome wrap. It looks like crap because it has a thin protective clear over it that is removed at the end. Also adhesive back which was taken off.
View attachment 109126

View attachment 109127

Cut each corner on a diagonal, fold one edge around the corner, cut the other edge straight. When done on all four corners, I used a razor to cut out the center.

View attachment 109128

Used a hairdryer to work all the corners and edges smooth, tacked down along the back with the adhesive backing, where the turn was too great/ no stick, I used a dab of crazy glue. Peeled off the protective coating:
View attachment 109129

Then installed. The Switch is original. Not perfect but you cannot tell unless you look close. Best alternative I could come up with.
View attachment 109131

excellent, very nicely done

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tyson, let us know how you fair on this. My wife bought this pen applicator and it is very helpful for those small spots, comes in different tip sizes.

IMG_1582.JPG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Never be the first to go on a new drug or the last to come off an old drug, I guess I wanted to hear a personal experience since the video looks soooo good........

PimO

Reaction score
View attachment 109123

View attachment 109126

View attachment 109127

View attachment 109128

View attachment 109129

View attachment 109131
Nicely done bavbob, how did you manage to take the actual switch part (black part) out of its housing? I am ready to wrap the switches and have difficulties taking them apart..

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tape stuff on a door handle that had some chrome pop-up / bubbles. Sand bubbles, apply tape.

Thanks so much, Scott, for the handle.