Center grill chroming

stphers

Reaction score
I have not found a clear coat that does not yellow after time I am trying out a clear Cerakote but have just used it on a bunch of engine aluminum parts in a 72 coupe that I am just finishing up for a fellow I did all the stuff about 7 months ago and it still looks good but has not been subjected to heat yet I really like the Everbrite on the polished aluminum pieces Also finishing up a major restoration on a 70 2002ti that I have used all stainless steel screws everywhere, after buffing them up and then using the polish and Everbrite on them to retain that bright polished look so far so good some I have put in over a year ago and still are shiny

Thanks, Rick

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have thought about taking a grille apart to polish the slats + cerakote them. i was planning to plane down a piece of wood to put inside the slat to minimize any damage while buffing. for those that have polished the fins, do you think it will work?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have thought about taking a grille apart to polish the slats + cerakote them. i was planning to plane down a piece of wood to put inside the slat to minimize any damage while buffing. for those that have polished the fins, do you think it will work?

IMHO……The slats when seen from behind are all pretty wavy and uneven thus getting a wooden support to fit within the slat will not be an easy task. The pic is typical for a used grill. Even a brand new one (2nd pic) slats aren’t exactly even. The slats when removed are very flimsy and very easily bent/ scratched….

Attachments

• IMG_2983.jpeg
    IMG_2983.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2984.jpeg
    IMG_2984.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 25

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Keshav, i have noticed the same thing ... but the ones i have tend to be a little wider on the back side. the wood (or possibly a metal strip) might be helpful to straighten the slats

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Keshav, i have noticed the same thing ... but the ones i have tend to be a little wider on the back side. the wood (or possibly a metal strip) might be helpful to straighten the slats

Sure, worth a try…..I once tried to get the slats to look even from behind even though one cant see them, but the material is so thin and even the slightest stretching left marks on both sides..

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Make sure to have support behind the slats once you remove them. I lucked out and had this piece of metal. I recommend going to your hardware store and see if they have something like this. Not only did it provide support when sanding and polishing it also allowed me to pound with a rubber mallet the slats nice and straight. In addition you want to make sure you do not break the tabs and putting the metal inside the slat protects the fradgile tabs. Metal would be much better than wood if you can find it. If you do embark on this feel free to reach out to me with any questions, like all projects I wish I knen then what I know now . My cell is 650-740-6101

Attachments

• IMG_4775.jpg
    IMG_4775.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 18