Chip Foose schools BMW

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chip Foose talks about BMW's design direction regarding the new 3 series look,. Chip points out how BMW used to lead the design crowd but now BMW seems to be following. I much prefer Chip's ideas as opposed to BMW's monster kidney.
Doug

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd bet when they watch this in some Bavarian board room, there will be people squirming. I really like the M2....and that is about it from BMW. Love Porsche and quite like Audi.
That being said, probably going to settle on Damn Ugly Subaru.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Look this up. Yes, copy Lexus but the real driver is money. BMW's biggest market is China. This is what the Chinese want and so this is what caused these massive grills designs.
It's always about the money and as we well know BMW is right there with the best of them.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Look this up. Yes, copy Lexus but the real driver is money. BMW's biggest market is China. This is what the Chinese want and so this is what caused these massive grills designs.
It's always about the money and as we well know BMW is right there with the best of them.
I think you are bang on with that. Must cause mental dissonance in German design studios.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of the responders to the video says that Foose's rendering looks like a Pontiac. I tend to agree. Here's a 10 year old G8...

1249574000.2002hondacivicsi_red_2007_holden_ve_ss_commodore__front_.jpg

Still better than the BMW.

I don't like the looks of the new M3 (nor the new 4 series), but I don't think I'm the customer BMW is shooting for.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Throw Maserati into the huge grill pool, too.

1604334184364.png

It isn't a trend I gravitate to, that's for sure. The new mega kidney grills from BMW?? I'm not a fan.

...or maybe I am and just don't realize it? o_O

1604334433056.png

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That Maserati looks like an AMG GTR

big grilles started with audi.

Now it's a huge trend.

Sad.

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
It could be worse. It could also have had massive tailfins like the cars in the 1950s. In 6 months the giant gaping grille won't look so wierd. BMW knows that their main market is now China. They are way behind on converting to BEVs and they had to try some type of gimmick to boost sales.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, I like the new grill. It’s reminiscent of the 328 homage concept BMW did a few years ago that I wished they built.