Chuck Branscombs E3 from the 80's specs

chope97

Reaction score
Chuck Branscomb Bavaria from the 80's from http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=49105 FYI

In 1981, Ray Korman built a nice stg2 motor for me with the triple Webers, cam, headers, pistons, porting, etc., and I did the whole suspension too (28/22mm bars, springs, Bilsteins, Alpina subframe bushings, limited slip diff, 8x16 Rial wheels all around with 225/50s, etc) during the early 1980s. Interior work included Recaros and a Momo wheel. I did most all of the on-going work/maintenance on the car myself including rebuilding the whole front suspension, doing all calipers, etc. I knew every inch of that car (especially after doing a heater core replacement and having to get that damn box out of the dash they build the car around).

My wife and I won the first "Best Bavaria" award at the 1982 CCA Oktoberfest in Albany. I did about every track event I could find between 1981 and 1989 with the car from Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Lime Rock and mostly at Summit Point along with a ton of autocrossing (was autox chairman of the National Capital Chapter for a bit in mid-80's).

I never had any issues with cooling with the built motor after I replaced the radiator and ran the E12 viscous fan clutch and larger fan. When Korman built the motor, we used a 1981 head that had the thicker water passages. I drove the crap out of that motor at so many track events and autocrosses not to mention hard street driving, and it was still running strong with over 100k miles on it when I sold the car. Hey, I still have Atlantik Blau touch-up paint in my toolbox.
icon_lol.gif

Sadly I sold the car in 1994, and the proclaimed enthusiast ended up letting it rot in a field for years (I found it a couple of years ago while hoping to buy it back, but it was too far gone).
icon_cry.gif

Regards,
Chuck

P.S. Do you ever come to the local CCA Triangle dinners at Rudinos? Or how about any THSCC autocross events? VIR track events?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Before and after pics

Hey chuck, thanks for sharing, that thing rips! Or used to I should say, what a shame, I hate hearing those stories, but know it had a good life under your tutelage. I couldn't view the pictures on mye28 site. As much as I don't want to see the after shots, I'll suffer through them, like watching a crash, it's hard to look away. Could you post a link or pics on here I can view. Thanks! What are you driving now?

chope97

Reaction score
My name is Clarence

Sorry for the confusion I am just sharing this great car from the pass. I am from DC and saw the car autocross at BMW CCA events. My understanding is that the car is at a Tenn independent BMW shop waiting to be restored. It was left outside in the weather and it looks bad. Just wanted to show what these cars can do and did back in the day.