Clearcoat?

A good spray painter will not get orange peel. The clear coat is to give the topcoat colour more depth.
I disagree. Sometimes you get nearly no orange peel on horizontal surfaces but I've been around very very good painters and they all say to expect orange peel. Clear coat gives some depth, but it's purpose is to add gloss and protection. Base color doesn't use an activator and is designed to bond with the clear coat, which is why you can't wait too long before putting clear on.

This is straight off the gun with no buffing :cool:
Straight off the gun (3).jpg

I disagree. Sometimes you get nearly no orange peel on horizontal surfaces but I've been around very very good painters and they all say to expect orange peel. Clear coat gives some depth, but it's purpose is to add gloss and protection. Base color doesn't use an activator and is designed to bond with the clear coat, which is why you can't wait too long before putting clear on.
sorry to disagree but you must allow at least 24hrs before applying clearcoat. The guy who did my car is an absolutely anal and the proof is in the pudding.

sorry to disagree but you must allow at least 24hrs before applying clearcoat. The guy who did my car is an absolutely anal and the proof is in the pudding.
Paints are different so there isn't one correct way to do it, but 24 hours is closer to being too long then not being long enough. A lot of paints take clear after 30 mins to an hour, but like I said, there's lots of different paints and you have to go by the manufacturers specs.

Paints are different so there isn't one correct way to do it, but 24 hours is closer to being too long then not being long enough. A lot of paints take clear after 30 mins to an hour, but like I said, there's lots of different paints and you have to go by the manufacturers specs.
Dang I stand corrected....I spoke with my painter.......20 minutes....my mistake.:)

@dang,

I value your opinion given that you paint your own cars. As your posts also highlight, you are conscious about “good enough” and realistic about what works and what doesn’t.

So if you are painting a solid color (I think Colorado is?), I would use single stage. Less labor and material cost. Fewer passes = less chance for screw ups.

This is helpful also Dick. You’ve done so many cars and have levered both methods.

I came to this thread only after watching a video recently. The owner of this golf e12 repainted it in single stage glasurit. He has an eye for nice BMW’s both original and modified, and he went with single stage original paint for this highly modified but period looking e12.

3B02270B-9CA3-48CC-96D4-6A6F9CE480CF.jpeg

A good spray painter will not get orange peel. The clear coat is to give the topcoat colour more depth.

Orange peel can be minimized with a pro downdraft booth, carefully controlling the temperature, selecting the proper temp range hardener and reducer, proper mixing ratios, AND having an experienced painter apply the paint....but it can't be eliminated. I can clearly see the peel in this (unenlarged) section of the picture you provided...

Straight off the gun (3).jpg

...and with the proper lighting, I'm sure the rest of the panel looks the same. I doubt if the paint shop is going to turn the car over to you in this "as shot" condition. There are several days ahead of them to color sand and buff it to an acceptable level for such a special car.

Also, my old eyes aren't the best, and if you can tell the difference in shine or depth of color between the two cars in post #15 (taken at the same time with the same lighting) I can accept the fact that my eyes are even worse than I think. :(

Last edited:
This is straight off the gun with no buffing :cool:
The surface roughness is admirably low, and s sign of a good painter. But in the reflection none of the edges and lines are sharp. That’s due to orange peel. Color sanding and buffing will take that out. But for a non-concours finish I would leave it as is.

Back