Coupe Deconstruction Simplified

jmackro

Reaction score
Why do my pics get flipped?

Wish I knew the answer to that - I've had it happen to my pictures too. In fact, I've tried compensating by counter-rotating them before loading, so that when they get flipped, they should look OK. But no - whatever algorithm is outsmarting us chooses not to flip the pre-rotated image.

I'll be following your progress on the repaint, because as you know, I need to do this as well. I'm particularly curious about how your bodyman will remove the old, damaged paint (sanding, chemical or media?).

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, remember Oregon has a law, you cannot pump your own gas. My son went to Reed in Portland, ask me how I know about the law. Both I and a guy from Texas were pumping our own gas and got yelled at. I looked at him and said" you must be here for freshman orientation too!"

Quick story: While in Portland, some kid on a bike ran a stop sign and plowed into the side of my rental. People were horrible to me, like I did something wrong. There were 2 victims here, the kid and me. Anyway the officer that came pulled me aside and apologized to me for how I was being treated. He then said " I am from Eugene, not Portland". Congrads to your son in Eugene!.

Last edited:

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Best of luck to Colin heading off to school!!

Why are you taking the Coupe apart?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paint stripping has begun. Bubbles on wheel arches was due to filler still being wet when primed, it was off-gassing when paint was removed!

6F72DBDD-5600-47AE-A239-39CA5281C0D2.jpeg
43C62098-5561-427B-A963-5D41406E728F.jpeg
6BEC316D-DCB0-45F2-9879-A634B2C2975B.jpeg
EE22790F-82C7-48AD-83E7-3628F14028AB.jpeg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, what do you think was the main reason that previous paint did not hold up? Paint quality? Prep? Natural degradation?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris, looking at the two first pictures in the thread, how did you manage to take out the lock cylinder? It looks like the nut is either 27 or 30 mm. I don’t have an open end wrench that big so I tried with a crescent wrench but it is too thick to work in that area. It is pretty crowded in there.
How did you do it?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another mechanic trick if the screwdriver idea doesn't work, but I think that is how I did mine.

Get an cheap opened ended wrench the proper size and grind the sides off until it is thin enough to fit in there.
Popular trick for the big nut holding the fan/clutch fan on an M30 motor. You can buy a special wrench for this. I never have.
Some have the more modern fans for Hotlanta traffic.
Another is a Vise Grip plier with a long skinny nose. They are thin and may fit in there but turning the nut can be difficult.
HTH

Barry.b

Reaction score
Paint stripping has begun. Bubbles on wheel arches was due to filler still being wet when primed, it was off-gassing when paint was removed!

View attachment 104948View attachment 104949View attachment 104950View attachment 104951
Hi Chris , my car came to me in poor condition , so it’s easy for me to go at it with power tools , but from what I can see in the pics ,your car looked quite good so I think it takes quite a bit of bravery to take apart a good car .
Are you doing the work yourself ? Or do you use a body shop ?
Will you etch prime it on the bare metal areas ???
Just wondering as it is all ahead of me :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint failed so I had no choice to go for a repaint. We are stripping where necessary, I only did the disassembly and I have quite a few pics I should add. But we don’t have to do door jambs, engine or trunk as we keeping the Malaga paint.