Coupeguy

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
"lets talk in positives ... this will make everybody raise their game."

I agree with this comment but at the same time if the vendor doesn't take kindly to your dissatisfaction of their product I don't think that is fare either. As long as the vendor is open to hear customers out and improve on their product I think they deserve all of our support as they are what helps keep our coupes running, my issue is ones who get offended when you have a complaint about their product and basically have the attitude of if you don't like my products then go away that I disagree with.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not taking any exception to what you are saying. my thought is good press or bad press is often the same thing - it creates a mental connection. remember, bad press is often countered with good press ... then it becomes a discussion about the person who posted the comments. for instance, you had a bad experience on the light, i had a good one ... -1 / +1 ... equates to zero. things can balance out. don't forget, there are also some very positive posts in the feedback section on the vendor that you are talking about.

no press is what is bad for a vendor. it often means stay away.

great press, and more great press about the same vendor is great news. you might pay more with a great vendor, but you know you are going to get what you expect.

another thing is to reward great customer service. there have been some posts about that too.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this is a pic of the italian lens i got from coupeguy. it looks + works great. looks great on a black car

Attachments

• e9 italian turn.jpg
    e9 italian turn.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 209

RogerB

Reaction score
this is a pic of the italian lens i got from coupeguy. it looks + works great. looks great on a black car

Just my opinion from my experience with Dan, but this is not a business for him: it is a service!!? I'm reasonably sure there is no big profit margin in the sale of parts he provides which we can get nowhere else!?? My csl sun visor clips for instance. He even offered to reproduce the bezels on top of the csl seats where the head rests go, if he can recover his expense to make them. He and I both tried to source them out of Europe from the usual sources but to no avail. Personally, I'm thankful for what Dan tries to do for the coupe owners! FWIW RB

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan has sold me many parts, and they have all worked out well. Shipped quickly. I have not bought any fiberglass body work.

Here is what he said about his air dams back in 2010. Seems resonable:

Just to clarify a few things, the airdams are still available for $390 plus shipping, with or without foglite holes as shown on my website www.coupeguy.com. The starting point was a 635 airdam, but a lot of time and money was spent adapting it to fit the front of the E9 and attaching to the front valence as was the original CSL airdam. Paul Cain's airdam was mounted as it was on the 635, to the front bumper necessitating drilling holes in the bottom of the bumper, a method I thought would be less attractive to prospective users of the airdam. With this method the airdam can be used with or without the front bumper.

The quality has been mentioined here, its the best that can be done with the layup methods used. Were I to use glass cloth, sanding and using actual primer paint would increase the cost to well over what most would be willing to pay. Tooling and development were expensive, but still is not what one might expect from a company such as BMW who can afford anything. Fit can be an issue, one reason is due to the variation in overall width from car to car. These were pretty much hand built bodies by Karmann and I have noted variations of over 12-14mm from one car to another. So I do try to make it clear that some adjustment or fitting may be necessary, and sanding and priming is the least that the surface will require before paint.

Any further questions about the airdam, its origin, mounting, availability, etc will be addressed, just email me at [email protected]

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just my opinion from my experience with Dan, but this is not a business for him: it is a service!!? I'm reasonably sure there is no big profit margin in the sale of parts he provides which we can get nowhere else!??

I think that's a good observation. He's probably doing the best he can on a shoestring budget, and sometimes it works out better than others. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he lost money on the airdam project. For me, I made one small purchase from Dan and the quality was great.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
First, thanks to Scott, Scott, Roger and David and anyone else who stood up for me. Roger B is correct, this is a hobby for me, selling bits for one single BMW marque could scarcely be called an income. I was fortunate enough to retire at age 50, and since then have done what I could to keep the E9s on the road. The fiberglass parts I supply are made from relatively inexpensive fiberglass molds, those molds wear with time and use so it is possible a part might not fit perfectly. The CSL airdams I supply now are from a new mold taken from an original airdam. I cannot hope to match BMWs parts, they can afford to make molds from metal which will last indefinitely. I try to explain this on my website, also the fact that some trimming and fitting will almost always be required since the bodies from Karmann themselves display a surprising amount of variation in overall width.

I put in a great deal of time and money into developing the 635 airdam, if I had not there would be nothing out there for you to mount that looks like it does. Perhaps you can take that into account when you try to mount one. I can do it and frankly, if I can do it anyone else can. It just takes a bit of time and patience.

As for those of you who feel I have been unfair or dismissive I have to admit I did not realize I had been quite that abrasive. It was unintentional, I assure you, but if I have then in what would probably be most cases I do apologize. If you feel that way email me at [email protected] and we can see if we can find a way to make whatever transaction you have a question about more to your liking. I have always tried to treat people the way they treat me, so I am sure in some instances I could have been justified. Still and all I am hopeful I can help others of you with your coupes. If you have a question about the car or some issue to solve let me know. If I can help I will. As for fiberglass parts not being returnable if I allowed everyone who told me that they would have to do some work to make it fit I am afraid I cannot help you. That is why my webpage makes it very clear that they may need some trimming and fitting and are non returnable. If they have an obvious defect of course I will try to help you and make it right. Email me at [email protected].

At the risk of sounding trite, I wish all of you happy couping!

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Purchased a gauge pod from Richard. It was shipped out very quickly and he took great care to package items in bubble wrap.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
have dealt with dan on a couple of occasions now and every time i do its a top notch experience. great communication, prompt service, fast shipping. Couldnt ask for anything more.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will second Bimmerboy73's comments above. Dan has given me advice, which I wisely followed, and helped with situations that put no $$$s in his wallet.
Steve

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan contacted me about buying some parts I had. It took several hours to work out a mutually fair deal and as soon as it was done, I was paid. Can't complain about that kind of business ethic

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, right back at ya'. There is such a thing as a bad buyer who can be rude and demanding but these guys are far from that sort of problem. Good buyers, good coupers, always glad to help with info or parts or whatever I can.