Craigslist BMW Finds:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Reposting this once since a member isn’t proceeding. If this car is legit it is a steal. The body kit and wheels are factory and the dash is in KM. I didn’t know that they came in auto. So much want!!!

Member said that the seller replaced the roof due to his son smacking a tree. Clean title afaik.

For those not familiar with the M535i, it is basically a euro 535is, not an M5. It has a dirty B34 with high compression.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/d/1987-bmw-m535i/6395672626.html

BC9BDB3D-14F9-4493-8877-5870BFD6C796.jpeg
A341A25D-3C3F-4ED5-9652-CE4D2636F151.jpeg
76B98C05-F398-4CAD-B22D-036E239EA6BF.jpeg
E1DF74F9-D090-40D0-B236-3D713497E71C.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding the Vancouver E28 535is, they did come with auto transmissions. Pretty sure the M badges do not belong.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this car is legit it is a steal.

Indeed it is, even here in North Europe where we used to have, well not alot of them, but they were not rare cars to see on the road, they now sell for 15-20k€ if decent, and way more if in good to excellent condition.
I'd buy that for $5k any day, as long as there is no major problems with it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only difference here is the aero kit and badge which in my mind looks a bit tacky but that was the 80s.

I agree that the car screams 1980's. I don't particularly like the M535i in white. It looks much more subtle in black or grey.

I wouldn't say that the only difference is the aero kit and the badge. The high compression euro B34 has nearly 30 more HP than US car. The car also has euro bumpers and euro headlights. Granted the weight difference is likely negligible with the MTechnic body kit. The wheels are also specific to the M535i and are quite rare (in the US at least). Again, at this price point the car is a fantastic deal.

Indeed it is, even here in North Europe where we used to have, well not alot of them, but they were not rare cars to see on the road, they now sell for 15-20k€ if decent, and way more if in good to excellent condition.
I'd buy that for $5k any day, as long as there is no major problems with it.

That is $5K CAD. This car is $3,900 USD. For folks in Seattle, you can get it over the border yourself for a negligible amount. You can call the port of entry for instructions and links to the paperwork.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you import a Canadian car?
It would have to be all US spec

Yes you can, and it's quite easy. The car is over 25 years old, it doesn't need to be US specifications. The whole 'federalization' thing that we spend time undoing was from grey market cars that were imported early in their lifespan.

What I don't know is if if you have to be a registered agent when the car doesn't meet regulations. That's how the statute reads...

https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig120115.pdf

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a long pdf... 22 pages so I might look at it later
Long ago when I was CS shopping I looked at a gray market car, after I read the details (like the government can reposes it at any time if they find something amiss) I decided to pass
At least in the past, the car you are importing had to meet safety and EPA rules, 2 different things

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a long pdf... 22 pages so I might look at it later
Long ago when I was CS shopping I looked at a gray market car, after I read the details (like the government can reposes it at any time if they find something amiss) I decided to pass
At least in the past, the car you are importing had to meet safety and EPA rules, 2 different things

Not a worry for e9 cars or the last e24/e28 ever produced...

Here this should cut to the chase:
https://montumotors.com/faq

Importing: Why 25 years old?
  • In the US, when a car reaches 25 years of age, it is exempt from the NHTSA (25 year exempt), EPA (21 year exempt), DOT, and FHTSA.

Directly from NHTSA:
    “A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS… You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date [(Month & Year)] of the vehicle’s manufacture.”

Directly from EPA:
    “Vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either expempted or excluded from EPA emissions requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age.”
Importing: Does California have any state specific restrictions?
  • California Special Rules (CARB): It is possible to import cars into California under the 25 year rule. It might end up taking some extra time and money. 1974 or older are exempt from smog and direct import requirements. If the car is newer than 1974 it is much more involved and can cost thousands to legalize.
Importing: What cars can be imported?
  • Essentially any car that’s 25 years old or older. Example: If a car was manufactured in June 1992, then it’s available for import in June 2017.

If you want a car imported that’s less than 25 years old; it’s a VERY pricey and lengthly process which requires rigorous modifications and crash testing. Feel free to contact us if you won the lotto or have a lot of money to spend.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
California makes it a bit tougher even if over 25 years old. My friend bought a 71 Jag from Canada and the DMV wanted a letter from Jaguar that it was a US spec car. They didn’t have unique US VINs but the certificate said delivered to the US importer. Oh, and Sacramento lost his papers twice!