Craigslist BMW Finds:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
$20K tribute car. Sure looks sharp. Too much for cosmetic upgrades or a good deal?

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1975-bmw-3-series-turbo-rep/6227937098.html
00A0A_7UxF0h9GB4a_600x450.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd grab it if it was closer. Too bad.
Both need smog, why not get earlier e12 that doesn't? Never made sense to me. Plus they made a ton of them, almost 3/4 of a million:

Production[edit]
The production total for the E12 is 722,435 units,[19][self-published source] including 23,100 produced in South Africa.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Both need smog, why not get earlier e12 that doesn't? Never made sense to me.

Ian was actually referring to the e24 with the Recaros and the BBS wheels. I wedged an e12 post in between his response. I would much prefer an e12 based e24 though. I'm sure the later ones are nicer but the e12 ones push all of my buttons.

As far as the gold e12's go, the reason why you want a late model 528i is for the G265. I suppose if you were building one you could start with an early model and upgrade the transmission from a 528i donor.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks good for the money, when a basic 2002 is pushing the high teens. Shame there are no engine or undercarriage photos. Bigger shame if it doesn't actually have a turbo.
It's been for sale for a while, no turbo, not even injected. Go to the wholesaler website link, plenty more pics.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ian was actually referring to the e24 with the Recaros and the BBS wheels. I wedged an e12 post in between his response. I would much prefer an e12 based e24 though. I'm sure the later ones are nicer but the e12 ones push all of my buttons.

As far as the gold e12's go, the reason why you want a late model 528i is for the G265. I suppose if you were building one you could start with an early model and upgrade the transmission from a 528i donor.
Agreed

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Production[edit]
The production total for the E12 is 722,435 units,[19][self-published source] including 23,100 produced in South Africa.

Regarding South Africa, I read that you could get an e12 with an e28 dashboard, or an e28 with an e12 dashboard. I can't recall which, but I will dig it up. It may have been on the first fives site. I think an e/4 with an e12 dash and a wood wheel would be cool.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Texas doesn't require emissions testing on cars older than 24 years, and only in the larger cities, which includes Austin, where I live.
Its a toss up for me as to E12 or E28 based E24. It would depend in condition and price of the one in front of me. For now, I'm deferring all new vehicle purchases until the E9 is back on the road. Got to stay sane but I like to window shop.

Ian

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder about how thrashed it might be, as that's a good price, and as you said, woohoo on the golf part. I had roundtails from drivers license to post college, but now have a de-bigglie-bumpered 76 square-tail that I love...glad I'm not closer to this one, very tempting..

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have had 3 square tail light 2002's. i actually always like them because you can see them from behind. okay, i hate the diving board bumpers.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
The bumpers are clearly from an EMW 340, which was made in the same factory with some overlap in production. Would be interesting if you could prove they actually came on that car, but I haven't seen pictures of another 321 with those bumpers. Post-war 321 bumpers were one long straight beam. It seems very logical they would have used whatever was on hand considering the then-current circumstances.

1200px-EMW_340-2_Limousine_1953_-_Flickr_-_KlausNahr.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score