Craigslist BMW Finds:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
'68 NK - $3,600 USD. Looks pretty complete!

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/d/1968-bmw-neue-klasse-sedan/6283977952.html

00Q0Q_9G94okLFkyC_600x450.jpg

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice E23. A friend of mine in Seattle bought a '79 manual E23 for an astounding $150. It had brake issues and a few assorted deferred maintenance issues, but was almost as low miles as this and was also very clean. It's now happily on the road as an occasional driver.
This one is tempting, especially as I'm going to Oklahoma in a few weeks, but the price is a bit high for me to pick up a third BMW.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
gotta love that they didn't mask the gas tank and just blasted it with silver paint while painting the trunk. so why would a 2800cs have the spacers now sitting on top of the fenders? didn't think the 2800cs had them. unusual repair / replacement to the spare tire well.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
gotta love that they didn't mask the gas tank and just blasted it with silver paint while painting the trunk. so why would a 2800cs have the spacers now sitting on top of the fenders? didn't think the 2800cs had them. unusual repair / replacement to the spare tire well.

My 1970 USA 2800cs had the spacers I believe to get the headlights up to US spec height. I found them in the trunk with some other misc parts. The bolts are longer to accommodate the spacers and without them, look strange sticking up too far. So I'm sure these guys just put the spacers on top to use up the extra bolt length and maybe add a bit of bracing to the metal. Sure, why not? About the same amount of effort as just painting the tank silver.

Ian

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice looking car for the money. Surprised these are still so affordable. Wonder what year a decent E9 became worth more than a 6 series? There must be some official chart.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd sell the dogleg and recoup some of the cost. 80's dash boards don't do it for me. But yes a nice car for the $$

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you have to love the euro bumpers on this over the big USA versions. not as obtrusive as the 74+ 2002 + 3.0cs, but not as elegant as the euro version. speaking toward Steve's dash comments, i think the later 80's dash was much nicer than the early 80's dash.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice looking car for the money. Surprised these are still so affordable. Wonder what year a decent E9 became worth more than a 6 series? There must be some official chart.

Funny thing, the 6er was produced for 13 years, but most expensive luxury cars reach full depreciation within 8-10. So early models were already near worthless while the later years were still selling new at $40k+, despite them looking near identical. I remember reading the history of the Back to the Future II car (I'll refrain from posting a picture in case anyone just ate lunch and doesn't wish to lose it). It is a very early E24, possibly the earliest remaining (1976). And it sold for a few hundred bucks in the late 80's to be converted into the abomination it became. Of course E9's were cheap in the 80's and 90's, but I believe they were mostly already being sold as collectibles and not just old cars.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
OK...I plead ignorant. If the handbrake is where it should be on the tunnel, what is that on the far left that looks like an0ther pedal? That is a great looking e24 for the money...fortunately way too far away to cause domestic hardship here at home.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK...I plead ignorant. If the handbrake is where it should be on the tunnel, what is that on the far left that looks like an0ther pedal? That is a great looking e24 for the money...fortunately way too far away to cause domestic hardship here at home.

That's the hood opening lever in the open position. It has quite a long travel to it. Folds up under the dash when the hood is closed. I do close it with my foot, just like a pedal. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd sell the dogleg and recoup some of the cost. 80's dash boards don't do it for me. But yes a nice car for the $$

Take it back! I used to appreciate the novelty of the 4spd. I am now fascinated with the novelty
of the dogleg, regardless of the downsides. My puny motor can benefit from the close ratio gearing!