CSi on BAT

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe, but it's actually illegal to remove a VIN from a car.
Is this true of a restored, vintage car? I've seen more than a few P 356's that are not much more than a VIN tag dangling from a patch of rust. Which is to say, that the wind blew the rest of the car away and the VIN tag pretty much fell onto the dirt floor it was stored in. :D It seems that it would be illegal to forge the wrong VIN on a car, but not to simply refurbish it as part of a resto. Maybe that is just what I "want" the law to be.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Maybe, but it's actually illegal to remove a VIN from a car. Of course, done all the time with restorations. Especially when it's affixed to the dash pad (like old Mopars).

I dunno, I don't like seeing BRAND NEW VIN tags. Screams REPOP, which then screams FRAUD, but not necessarily. But possible.
mine is soooo worn / faded you can barely read BMW ... so all you can see the VIN. it came with the car but not on the car. i got a new one from Coupeking with my VIN. after the car is painted, it will go on because putting the old faded one on a freshly painted car + engine bay just seems like the wrong idea. if / when i ever sell the car, the old one will go with it.

seems like a reasonable price for a reasonable coupe.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The important VIN is stamped into the firewall sheet metal.
Big deep numbers.