CSL Air Filter Box Restoration Questions

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We sandblasted the airbox and repainted it as shown (though one post says powder coating is the answer - anyoen know for sure?). See below.
air box clips.jpg
air box.jpg
air box1.jpg

The clips are intact but were painted too!!!!

One of the older threads suggests they were "yellow".

Is that anodised with a yellow/gold plate - does anyone know for sure? Are they available for sale anywhere?

Many thanks in advance,

David

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Nicad- the mechanic thinks the clips need to be disassembled to replate - and he thinks this will be a pain/damage them - is this true?

Wladek

Reaction score
Before painting i made additional zinc plating of filter box & re-zinc plating of cover locks.
AirFilterBox.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd just plate them if they are finicky to redo. So they won't be perfect? Can't see how they wouldn't take to the plating.....but I have never done it.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just buy new ....

ah, normally i kiss the floor you walk through, but this time i have to say that there are not new clips like those, new ones are the wire style,
very cheap, though

i have replated those, easy to dissasemble, just remove the internal pin, and replace after with a new one

Thanks Nicad- the mechanic thinks the clips need to be disassembled to replate - and he thinks this will be a pain/damage them - is this true?

@Atavistic , if you do not mind buying new ones i would like to buy your old ones

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi David,

Photo of my clips and air box paint colour (not powder coat) FYI.

(PS I also think the correct colour air filter membrane is either black or dark yellow. Mine has a bit of a tacky matching green membrane which I have never seen for sale anywhere, and I am planning to replace that)

561049B2-8CE7-48EC-89E0-030DD3760D1E.jpeg

Wladek

Reaction score
(PS I also think the correct colour air filter membrane is either black or dark yellow. Mine has a bit of a tacky matching green membrane which I have never seen for sale anywhere, and I am planning to replace that)

View attachment 45227
Most popular color of air filter gasket is orange (as Chris mentioned because it was Purolator). But as for me color doesn't really matter, it just depend on air filter brand (black is probably K&N).

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
EB9AF945-6AEC-44C4-840D-236688013202.jpeg
ah, normally i kiss the floor you walk through, but this time i have to say that there are not new clips like those, new ones are the wire style,
very cheap, though

i have replated those, easy to dissasemble, just remove the internal pin, and replace after with a new one

@Atavistic , if you do not mind buying new ones i would like to buy your old ones

What a lesson... I spent the morning hunting and searching..
I found Three Different clips. I had no idea.
Big wire
Little wire
Csi flat and Carb flat
I have all 3 of the clips.
14 spare csi clips.
100.00 per set of seven if someone wants them.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
very cheap, though

Challenge accepted. Hurry up and sell yours Don!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 3 csi’s in the shop all with flat clips. Then I have carb air filter units with flat and with wire. The carb air filter ones with flat must be 28oo cars!
Thanks Chris!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have given me something to aspire to in the restoration of my Taiga E9 engine bay. Beautious!