CSL Alpina Steering Wheel

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
You might appreciate this @CSL177 Pic from yesterday, driving down the coast after a spirited 75 mile rip through back roads. Put the CSL Alpina on. So much better than the Petri.
20210911_121235.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Russ, @CSL177, had a birthday yesterday,Sept.11th. So what better car to drive to a BMW Cars & coffee than his fully restored '67 911S ??

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 97

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@tferrer I shoulda kept that wheel... hey, since it's not period correct for the car, wanna sell it back to me? ;)

Thanks again for the invite, Drew. Your coupe is extraordinary, the best car of the gathering.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Once again Drew, that color is just amazing... and a lot of subtle personal touches that are just right make the car. You did good.

20210911_110953 (2).jpg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@tferrer I shoulda kept that wheel... hey, since it's not period correct for the car, wanna sell it back to me? ;)
Russ, the wheel you had put on wasn't a CSL Alpina. It was a very early (and very nice) 360mm Alpina, whereas the CSL Alpinas are 380mm and have that unique kinda droopy spoke configuration. I ended up trading it (plus dinero) towards the correct CSL specific Alpina you see in that pic above. That 360 Alpina would actually be great in your 67 S. I think @JohnP_02 might still have it in his collection if you want to wheel and deal to get it back!

Gary Waggoner

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gary, my car wants to look like yours when it grows up.
What springs did you use to get that drop?

Thanks in advance.

RP
I have Carls springs front and rear. I dont understand why your car is so tall in comparison.

Attachments

• C66I5666.jpg
    C66I5666.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 104

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did you re-drill the body and put the trim back on? It looks way better with the trim in my opinion.
Gary, the Nelson’s didn’t work for me, as evidenced by the photograph.

I agree, a lot better with the trim.Thank you. Believe it or not the 3M double stick tape is doing a nice job.

Looking back at the photographs, I’ve got some work to do on the fiberglassrear bumper.

Also looking back on some of the old photographs, the door has now been lined up and the trim line, with the flexibility of the double stick tape, is nice and straight.

My thanks to everyone for your inspiration and support of the project.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you. Gary is your stripe a decal or paint?
17680FE9-FBD8-4C4E-A125-EAB32D35BACA.jpeg

Here is a photograph after some ceramic coating stuff

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks planted, Tyson... is that after the springs were swapped?
Yea, Russ - H&R progressives and Spax adjustable. Rides SOOO much better. Now there's actual compliance in the suspension. Now looking at the sway bars you put on. They are quite large! I would venture a guess that my back roads don't quite need the same as turn 17 at Sebring ;-)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Couple more from the L and couple weeks back. There is a monthly drive called the Breakfast Club Rally and if you get stuck in with a good group, then it's a blast. If you get stuck behind a guy in a McLaren 720 driving 12 mph it's not...

CSL_BCR_6.png
CSLatBreakfast_Rally_1.png
Lotus7_atspeed_2.png

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Glad to see you got on the BCR, @tferrer . I've been doing it since it started last year. I've been sidelined for a few months due to car repaint though.
Yea, I've gone to a few of them starting when they first kicked off but my initial experience wasn't so great as the roads were abusive.

Let me know when you get your ride back together and we can connect for one of them!

Wladek

Reaction score
You might appreciate this @CSL177 Pic from yesterday, driving down the coast after a spirited 75 mile rip through back roads. Put the CSL Alpina on. So much better than the Petri. View attachment 126507

You might appreciate this @CSL177 Pic from yesterday, driving down the coast after a spirited 75 mile rip through back roads. Put the CSL Alpina on. So much better than the Petri. View attachment 126507
So all was correct - you need momo horn button with metal silver ring & "glossy flat black" plastic frame. Both Alpina & BMW had them.
That one you have look like repro.
momo horn button.jpg

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Wladek - yes, it's a reproduction but I have an original Alpina horn button that I'll be using eventually ...

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yea, Russ - H&R progressives and Spax adjustable. Rides SOOO much better. Now there's actual compliance in the suspension. Now looking at the sway bars you put on. They are quite large! I would venture a guess that my back roads don't quite need the same as turn 17 at Sebring ;-)
What springs and shocks were you running prior to the swap?

For some unknown reason the PO of my coupe had installed massive sway bars front and back. Not sure of diameter, but the front one was so thick it actually damaged the mounting bracket on the drivers side. I say unknown reason because as far as I know (and can tell) the car wasn't tracked or autocrossed or anything like that.

-Dan

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Dan, I ran cut springs and Bilstein HDs with big bars (29 & 24mm w/hard bushings IIRC) but it was used as a track car. Not much suspension compliance,
and it cornered flat. Front camber plates were fixed at -1.5 degrees. I'm sure it's MUCH more comfortable to drive the way Tyson has it set up. Looks good, too! ;)

Binder1_Page_08 (2).jpg

Last edited: