CSL Fire at track

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted here yet. Another video shows the CSL stopped in the pit lane and the Capri hit it from behind causing the fuel leak.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Horrible to see....

I've always wondered about such accidents, also when it's during racing; you're not to blame, but your car, your baby, your money, goes up in smoke. Litterally in this case.

Just part of the deal? As in, if you don't want to run the risk, make it a garage queen?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looked like the Capri had a fuel leak, was started then shooting fuel forward at the CSL.

Does not look like any kind of collision as neither car looks damaged until the fire starts.

Hope no one was injured. Cars can always be repaired.

bdigel

Reaction score
Looked like the Capri had a fuel leak, was started then shooting fuel forward at the CSL.

Does not look like any kind of collision as neither car looks damaged until the fire starts.

Hope no one was injured. Cars can always be repaired.
Negative , there is a another Video that shows the incident from a different angle , the capri most likely lost brakes and slams the sitting CSL rupturing a fuel source , large quanaties of fuel pouring on the pavement and fumes eventually hits the capris brakes and boomm Ill see if I can find the other video , its alarming and not just cause of the incident but the whole situation , so many safety violations that would not fly with most race orgs here in the states

bdigel

Reaction score

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can see the fuel spilling from under the CSL, during a period of 15 seconds, a large pool forms of about 3-4 meters in diameter (12 foot), and this older guys just stands in/on the edge of it, looks down, sees the fuel, and doesn't move for a whole 15 seconds! He then is engulfed in flames and jumps out; he likely doesn't need a hair cut anytime soon.
Shell shocked?
1697708989924.png
1697709069860.png

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This isn’t “it’s just racing”
Should get an Oscar nomination for how not to do it. I’d say 3 major inexcusable errors:

(1) Driver error. Fault = Capri:
Capri Crash
Looks like a pretty hard hit on the back of the CSL. Why was the Capri coming into the hot pits so frickin fast? If the brakes were gone, it should have been evident to the driver at pit entrance due to speed limit, and the driver would know not to pull in behind someone. You aren’t racing for a million bucks in Historics so what’s the f*cking rush? I sure hope that Capri owner paid for the repairs to the BMW. Lucky a bystander wasn’t killed.

(2) My historic race cars have tubular metal cages built around my fuel cells, sides and bottom. I see lots of guys hang their cell from the trunk floor, and NOT build a cage around the cell itself (eg totally exposed below the trunk floor). Years ago I had a crash backwards into a barrier at Watkins Glen at a decent clip. The trunk floor of my 1950’s Alfa was buckled up pretty good but the fuel cell was protected perfectly. IDK if this CSL had the same level of protection.

(2) In the video the guy with the FE is in street clothes, and after the gas ignites the heat drives him back so far away that his FE is useless. I think he also backs off to protect his massive exposed beard (WTF!). Where I race, we have a dedicated crew member in a full Nomex getup including a Nomex headsock.

(3) With proper training the fire person should know to lay down some foam on the pool of fuel as an ignition suppressant BEFORE the fire started. BTW, this is why AFFF is better than any other fire retardant in a Motorsport pit area.

In the video, it appears to be general chaos for quite a while before someone gets close enough and applies the right suppressant in the right way.

(4) I think I see someone spraying water, which isn’t very helpful other than to spread the fuel/fire across a larger area. well meaning idiot.

Old Guy: probably an innocent spectator who behaves exactly as you’d expect.

Finally, maybe we are too lax in the pits in historic racing. I remember an extremely attractive young lady photographer, in the hot pits, leaning over an old formula car to shoot the cock pit. When she brushed up against the high mounted exposed exhaust her pants caught on fire! Fortunately, they were synthetic pants (nylon?) which melt more that they burn so it was easy to put out. Lucky gal.

John

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Negative , there is an another Video that shows the incident from a different angle , … so many safety violations that would not fly with most race orgs here in the states

Totally agree! And given that it’s in Europe I’m surprised there aren’t people with lot cigarettes standing around ;-)

Last edited: