CSL Golf RHD for sale

Bryce

Reaction score
Hi
My 1973 Golf CSL is for sale as it gets almost no use (a quiet run around the block every couple of months) - I don't know what price to ask so if you're interested, can you please suggest a serious price.

The car has undergone a very serious rebuild, all sorts of transplants and a cosmetic makeover. The pictures show the story and the detailed quality of the work involved. Most of the work was finished by late 2013 but the car has had little use since then.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123429072@N07/sets/

The main cosmetic difference to original is the lack of chrome wheel arches - I just don't like them on the golf colour, but I have a set that would need restoring before attaching (fenders are rolled). It was rebuilt as an excellent driver rather than as a concourse winner.

I brought the car prior to rebuilding in California and still have the CA plates. The car is located in New Zealand. Estimated freight to La is about USD1400, to Brisbane is about AUD2500, to UK about GBP1100.

Majority of the cars detail is below:

1973 BMW E9 3.0 CSL in Golf, Serial # 2285269.
- Manual front and electric rear windows
- Excellent chrome (NOS belt trim)
- Excellent dash wood etc.
- Scheel bucket seats
- 14” Alpina alloys with Michellin Pilot tyres
- Power steering (rebuilt).
- AC installed (134a)
- Aluminum doors, bonnet and boot/trunk
- New Carl Nelson springs
- La Jolla sway bar, strut bar and urethane bushings
- Rebuilt brakes (and boosters)
- High compression M30B35 3.5 liter engine upgraded to a Motronic 1.3 fuel injection system and 5 speed conversion (by La Jolla Independent).
- Michellin xxx spare tyre as new
-Full body restoration included “everything”. Major elements were:
- Rear restoration by La Jolla Independent (USA) and front by Vintage Auto Restoration Murray Sutton (NZ)
- All quarter panels (fenders) removed in restoration
- Rebuilt inner wheel arches
- Rebuilt A pillar structures
- Rebuilt door frames and new aluminum skins fitted
- Rebuilt front bulkhead
- Rebuilt floors
- Rebuilt fuel tank
- Rebuilt rockers with new rocker covers
- Many new rubber seals, trim, hoses, etc
- New stainless screws and bolts used where ever possible.
- New OEM windscreen
- New tool tray
- Original radio not connected as modern stereo installed in Dash/Glove box operate via bluetooth. 4 speakers.

Just ask for any specific pictures or any other detail.

My ph is +64 27 22 66 592.

Thank you.
Bryce

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Insanely awesome car! Amazing how GOOD it looked BEFORE the rust repair! Just goes to show these cars hide, potentially, $50k in body work!

As far as CSLs w/o their original drivetrain it may hurt it some, along w/being RHD (limited market).

I would put the number around $120-150k?

Bryce

Reaction score
Hi
50k In bodywork would have been nice! I never added up the total cost or time but know it was a lot more than 50....
Cheers
Bryce

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a City pack car so I don't think they carry the same value as a true lightweight. I was also under the impression that city pack cars had steel bumpers (at a minimum a rear) and steel doors.

Cash

Reaction score
Wow I would be so pissed with the original seller. Stunning restoration. I'd love it but I'd need to save more pennies.

So refreshing to see another RHD on here

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jeesh, these California cars not so pristine as most would think. Gotta watch those ones who spent time right on the salty coast.

A CSL deserves a restoration like that, but a CS or even CSi to go through that much body work is practically prohibitive.

GLWTS!

Bryce

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the positive comments! A couple of replys to comments:

re city pack:
I have no idea what "city pack" really means, but it does had a steel rear bumper and I have a good front bumper (chrome) that came with the car. I chose to powder coat the rear bumper black as I like the look in Golf. The power steering was also another accessory that I added but didn't come with the car. It definitely had original aluminium doors which helped cause the corrosion (between the steel frame and the aluminium panels) so I had to restore the steel door framing and replace the aluminium door panels.

re prices:
I am aware that LHD cars have a wider market and therefore am not expecting LHD pricing. But don't know what that means specifically!

re rebuilding a CSL vs CSI/CS
For me rebuilding is a passion regardless of the model. I still have plans for other cars where straight finance is very dubious. I certainly wont recover my passion ($) spent on the CSL!

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bryce, sorry to hear your selling, but I guess if your not using it.....
As for price, who knows, but I have a figure in mind I think it's worth.
Had mine recently valued and it is quite hi, considering it's only a bastardised Cs, give me a call and I will fill you in on the details if you like.

Steve

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bryce: This is the City Pack definition straight from the CS Registry. The end result is a CSL approximately 295lbs heavier than a "regular" lightweight CSL.

From CS Registry:
A City Package was offered as an option on all 3.0 CSL models and fitted to the majority of right-hand drive cars sold in the UK. Designed to make the 3.0 CSL more usable as a daily driver, it consisted of the following items:
-steel body panels (not included on all examples)
-power steering
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi chassis components (including anti-roll bars)
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi front and rear bumpers
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi windshield
-standard 3.0 CS/3.0 CSi side glass
-rear-window defroster
-chassis undercoating
-interior hood release
-additional sound deadening
-retractable rear side windows (power-operated)
-tool kit on inner trunk lid
-trunk lock
-velour carpeting

burky

Site Donor
Reaction score
csl

I have a 1972 City Pack CSL it came with a steel rear bumper , glas front, alloy door skins, bonnet , and boot lid,it is currently undergoing a major tidy-up, there is not a speck of rust on the car shell, corrosion on one door, so i replaced both skins, I have been a bit tardy posting photos, but will do so in the near future.
I personally know of 4 r/hand City Pack cars in SYDNEY, and have heard of one more.
Burky.

Bryce

Reaction score
Hi,
After searching online a fair price seems to be around NZD100,000

That equates to approximately USD68,000, GBP47,000, AUD93,000. Does that sound fair given shipping and some taxes would need to put on top of that?

The UK has 10%+20% import taxes, but only 5% for 30+year old cars without "substantial" modification. But without the original engine it may be "knowing the right people" to avoid the higher taxes. That, or wait 7 more years and only pay the 5% for 50+ year old cars!

I'm not sure what taxes for the USA but as it came from the USA there may be some exclusions for reimporting.

I'm not sure about Australia - there is a 10% GST, but don't know if "luxury taxes" apply to classic (30+ year old cars) that are over $70,000.

If anyone's interested in discussing further please email me on [email protected]

cheers
Bryce

Rek

Reaction score
That sounds really low - like half price.
Hi,
After searching online a fair price seems to be around NZD100,000

That equates to approximately USD68,000, GBP47,000, AUD93,000. Does that sound fair given shipping and some taxes would need to put on top of that?

The UK has 10%+20% import taxes, but only 5% for 30+year old cars without "substantial" modification. But without the original engine it may be "knowing the right people" to avoid the higher taxes. That, or wait 7 more years and only pay the 5% for 50+ year old cars!

I'm not sure what taxes for the USA but as it came from the USA there may be some exclusions for reimporting.

I'm not sure about Australia - there is a 10% GST, but don't know if "luxury taxes" apply to classic (30+ year old cars) that are over $70,000.

If anyone's interested in discussing further please email me on [email protected]

cheers
Bryce

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've spoken to Bryce several times for a friend and my understanding is my friend and him have agreed on a price and preparing to ship.