CSL Golf RHD for sale

Bryce

Reaction score
Hi
Just so this site can return to a more convivial tone, I'll clarify the "sale" history.

I originally brought the car to be used as an interesting daily driver. I had no intention of it being a "trailer queen". I brought (for USD10k) what I was led to believe was a fully restored body and the car just needed mechanical assembling. But what I actually brought was a fully rusted body that had been disguised under lots of filler and new paint (as can be seen in pictures previously posted), with a not so good engine. So I essentially needed to embark on a restoration project that took many years and I ended up with a car much more expensive and not suitable for what I initially intended to use it for. With so much time and $ invested in the car I had quite a bit of emotional attachment to the car. But I never really used it except for the occasional coffee run.

I have 3 times got to the point of selling the car.

The first time about 4 years ago at NZD90k - I had no interest.

The second time 2 years ago at NZD100k I had interest and from "tferrer" friend (and some others) and an offer to buy. Turned out that the "shock" of actually selling was not pleasant and I wasn't sure I did in fact want to part with the car. I took it for a few drives and decided to keep the car till I was sure I wanted to part with it. I apologised to the potential buyer at the time for the tease. tferrer, I also apologise for your being dragged into the current comments online which are very unfair.

After hardly using the car over the last 2 years I (again) decided to sell. So a few weeks ago, I did actually sell the car to the "Toyshop" - I'm not disclosing the price as it would be unfair on the current owner, but I was happy with the price I got. I am fully aware of what CSL's asking prices are online.

It's worth remembering that buying a car in different jurisdictions means differing costs to bring the car "home". If you're buying a car outside your home country there are import duties and freight to pay, and these effect the value of the imported car. Typically these are deducted from the value of the imported car compared to one you may buy locally. Value is also really hard to be specific for a car like this CSL. It is an "excellent" on Hagerty valuations except for the original engine/transmission - then what's that worth? to some much less - to others not much different - to others maybe more as it's a much better ride and an "upgrade". The car is still for sale by "The Toy shop".

If you want a car to actually drive, then you'll be looking for a while to find a better CSL. If you're wanting to collect concours medals, the engine will be a deduction. The car does have the original non-a/c consul and front bumper with it if you were wanted convert to original to get a few more concourse points.

I'll take this opportunity also to thank Carl (and Chris) for their friendly help, but also Malc for generously helping with a few parts early on.

If anyone in NZ is wanting to buy new inner rear L/R fenders I still have a pair of these I didn't need. No other parts.

cheers, Bryce

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Heckuva thread to read, about all I can say is:
"Well done Bryce I sure could'nt rise about these cretins the way you have!"

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting read! I missed the entire thread.

One could regularly find $60K RHD CSL’s in 2016. I would wager that the RHD CSL has the largest two year value spike of any CSL.

@tferrer never at any point listed a value. He made an statement about city pack relative values, and the market would backup his very brief post on the subject.

@Keshav is correct, it takes two to tango and it sounds like @Bryce was happy with the sale.

afishe

Site Donor
Reaction score
just in case anyone is actually still interested in the car, it is still for sale and the seller claims to have located the correct engine and gearbox for it (NZ is such a small place..). My CSL (2285467, many many small parts and some big rusty ones..) is due out of the dip tank any day soon, will post progress.