CSL's sold $400,000.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Arde,

Sorry about that:) just me being me and writing as I speak, without thought for how it might read, yes, I laugh myself when I read it back. I won't bore anybody with who Wilfredo is, wikipedia can do that for me. Hopefully, I got the general thought across though :) ?

Like many have said, higher values equals more parts, more cars saved, more to look at, better quality restorations and as this forum tries to do, better quality information out there.

While the CSL's will/are becoming the darling of collectors, just like 911's - the cars that are just as gorgeous will follow, there are many, many more people in that price range and natural market forces (I know, I will stop saying that soon) will follow.

I also drive my cars often, but never with reckless abandonment and yes sometimes the thought crosses your mind about an idiot texting or whatever, but I buy them to enjoy them and enjoy I do. I think most classic cars owners to certain degree drive defensively, but enjoyably.

Any nice E9 is now on an upward trend, I can't tell where the market goes in the future, but collecability is, I feel assured.

Hi Chris,

Just caught your note, have a glass for me my friend and enjoy those stunning views.

Pete

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
At least with rising values it's easier to justify the "investment " resto expenses with the wife/other should the "secret file " ever be found ! Also, for anyone that's owned/restored or maintained a boat /yacht for their hobby ,E9 ownership is "cheap "...when did someone last make money on their boat ?!.:lol:

That reminds me. I have to finish mine up before I get married. What's mine is mine at this point, so she doesn't have a say.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$400K CSL (city pack) = $75K BMW 2002 Turbo + $90K BMW CSI + $35K BMW 2002 Tii + $40K BMW 2002 ti + $50K Alpina B10 + $80K Alpina A4S + (3) $10K BMW Bavaria’s :)

Disclaimer: Prices off the cuff.....you get my point, yes this is my short wish list :)

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't tell the wife!

As others have stated, higher values mean I can justify spending some more money on my car to get it right. But the only person I have to justify the expense to is my wife, because I am not counting on my car an investment. The joy I get out of the car is justification enough for me. The fact that it has gone up since I bought it may make her happy, and that helps my cause. But value appreciation is not an end in and of itself. And I doubt it is the point for the lucky guy who paid 400k for a CSL. I bet he bought it because he loved it and wanted the best one he could find.

I do believe we are in a bubble, albeit one that will last a long time. But I predict that in 20 years, values of many of these cars will go back down as the pool of buyers ages and dies off. There are hundreds of thousands of 1965-1998 911s out there, and I just don't see how their current path will be sustained. The same goes for e9s, Ferrari 308/328/550s, and most 50s and 60s Alfas. I hope I am wrong...

Scott

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sadly, not exactly!

Ok, Guys and girls,

I have now spoken to Richard and with the greatest respect to Coupelady, there has in fact been some kind of misinterpretation of comments made.

Richard was just relaying the exact same information I shared below on the Canepa Batmobiles, both series one and both close to the $400k mark.

Sadly, all of you "city pack" CSL guys can put away that retirement check for now....... :)

Last edited:

coupelady

Reaction score
Correction on that statement about 2 non bat ("town car") CSL selling for $400,000. In checking with Richard Conway, I made the error, they WERE 2 full batmobiles. Sorry folks for the mix up. I will try and be more careful in the future.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Correction on that statement about 2 non bat ("town car") CSL selling for $400,000. In checking with Richard Conway, I made the error, they WERE 2 full batmobiles. Sorry folks for the mix up. I will try and be more careful in the future.

...so a case of putting the Bats among the pigeons ? :lol:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I tend to think rising values are a good thing, in large measure because more e9s will be preserved and because it should help parts availability.

On the parts availability front, I met a representative of BMW Classic at the PVGP on Saturday. He was touting the BMW classic center concept; I refrained from recounting my last visit to one of his classic center dealers (the parts guy didn't know what an e9 was and took quite a while to find a 1972 3.0 CS is his system. When I asked him to check to see if the part was associated with another BMW that employed an M30, he asked e30? and apparently didn't know what an M30 was even though it was employed by BMW from the late 60s through the 70s and 80s and into the 90s.)

I signed up for his mailing list, and in response to his "BMW will never relinquish its parts numbers" comment, I expressed my dismay at the difficulty of getting certain parts for our cars. I used the example of the tiny rubber part that sits atop each window near the wing window, which is available only for one side of our cars.

He informs me that part of the BMW classic concept is an accumulation of parts requests, which BMW NA intends to use to determine when to manufacture out of stock parts. Supposedly the BMW classic parts centers will be trained to do this. Interestingly, he indicated a key part of the concept is a "Master Technician" at each such center, who is trained to find old parts. It sounded like this training is not provided to the guys at the parts counter (which fits with my very recent experience). I am wondering whether I need to identify the "Master Technician" at my local BMW Classic Center and deal with him/her.

We may want to attempt to learn more about how this system works; perhaps from time to time we may want to orchestrate a production run of unavailable parts.

I did not get into the desire to obtain European parts directly from BMW, but I may in the future.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes Pete I will check out Wilfredo. I may have to take down the poster of Luis Suarez I have on the wall to hang a Wilfredo...

I may have exaggerated when I said drive with reckless abandon, I meant that when I bought my coupe I showed it to my high school daughter and asked her if she would prefer to drive some very used Toyota to high school or that cool Verona. They were at price parity. Giving the car to my son and daughter is reckless abandon, she drove the car once and does not want the responsibility of driving it again. I did use the car for commute a full week this year when my fleet was in disarray and an idiot went straight on the right lane of a dual right turn intersection. I was on the left lane. That could have been over for Verona right there. I did not have even have the time to reach for the horn but was able to brake as I sensed an idiot very viscerally.

DQ did not mean to fight the market forces, he only questioned the cheery mood much like Chief White Halfoat in Catch 22 was not happy every time they found oil in every place he pitched his tent...

Great thread!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, Guys and girls,

I have now spoken to Richard and with the greatest respect to Coupelady, there has in fact been some kind of misinterpretation of comments made.

Richard was just relaying the exact same information I shared below on the Canepa Batmobiles, both series one and both close to the $400k mark.

Sadly, all of you "city pack" CSL guys can put away that retirement check for now....... :)

Pete, you're one of the most reliable source of CSL info I've seen, and have proven your worth to the forum again.

Wasn't one of the 2 BAT's that Bruce sold the one our own forum member "BMWM1" had for a few years, and which had bought from a to remain anonymous E9 collector in the PNW? If yes, despite not be perfect ... that was a really nice CSL with some special factory modifications which made it 1 of 1. So there was some justification for it being priced higher than a run of the mill restored CSL.

John

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John,

You are correct, that car was a very nice car, but not a perfect one and the price reflected is what seems to be the market for a very nice Batmobile.

That said, I still hold the first 169 Carb CSL's as my favorites and they are often overlooked in value in comparison to Bats. The purity of these early Carb cars just hits my buttons in all the right places.

Thank you for the kind words as well, lets hope we can all share and improve the knowledge base for all, certainly as some of us start to show our age and our cars continue to look younger :)

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John,

That said, I still hold the first 169 Carb CSL's as my favorites and they are often overlooked in value in comparison to Bats. The purity of these early Carb cars just hits my buttons in all the right places.

+1!
Ciao