Custom forged pistons

Henrik

Reaction score
Hi!
Has anybody any experience with custom forged pistons from Ireland Engineering. They are probably lighter than originals and Mahle pistons. The idea is to bore an original 3.0 CSI to 3003cm3 and use these pistons. Probably a more rev. willingly engine??

Henrik

Henrik

Reaction score
I will contact him and se if he can supply these pistons or if he has any opinions about the plan.

Thanks

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Paul makes great products.
As well as the pistons he makes a nice cam for the M30 motors.
Hopefully you can get in touch with him.
Lets us know, please.

TodB

Reaction score
I've reached out to him a couple of times in the last couple of days to see if he would post some info about his products.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Forged pistons expand as they heat up so they tend to rattle a bit when cold. Cast pistons don't have this feature.

rdholland

Reaction score
I'll be starting to build my M10 for the 68 2000CS soon. Because of the parts car I got, I have two blocks that have never been bored to choose from and already got one block hot tanked and magna-fluxed. Now I am trying to make decisions on bore and CR.

I think I'll go 91mm on the bore and 10.5 CR which means I am currently looking at forged pistons as well. I was going to contact Ireland. I don't know Paul but it sounds like you guys have had good results. I assume he also has experience with the M10? I like Ireland for their experience with my engine type as far as recommendations and additional components.

Cheers,
Rob

Henrik

Reaction score
Paul makes great products.
As well as the pistons he makes a nice cam for the M30 motors.

I´m also interested in a new cam, but not racing style. I´m probably in the 284 degree area.
Can a D-jetronic manage this kind of modifications at all?

DerSchwede

Reaction score
No, the D-jet will not respond to a cam swap.

Get new D-jet OEM-pistons and a stock cam and you will have one of the sexiest engines aver made! :)

Forged pistons might actually be heavier that stock for the M30... check before you buy!

Henrik

Reaction score
Ireland Engineering predict that their forged pistons are much lighter than OEM. But I´m not sure what I will achieve by installing forged pistons instead of OEM 0.25 overbore pistons except for the price of course... Forged are almost half the price. Seems to me that W&N have bought Mahles stock (they don´t supply these anymore) and tripled the price.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know where Ireland gets their pistons? I ask only because so much comes from China these days and I wonder if the alloys and processes are tested and certified.

AceAndrew

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Ireland gets their pistons? I ask only because so much comes from China these days and I wonder if the alloys and processes are tested and certified.

The forged pistons (and blank billets) are made here in southern California. If you'd like the specifics, shoot me an email Chris. Unless we spot each other at SoCalVintage.

Recently finished a redesign on the M20 pistons as well.
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=294666