Dash Board Opinions

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have reached the point of dashboard replacement in my project 3.0CS. One of the PO's installed these gauges and in doing so, drilled through the wood. Obvious that wires were passed through a tight hole and then had female connectors added. I am wondering if I should maintain the aftermarket gauges in which case I would have to code and mark all the wires, cut the connectors, drill a hole in the new wood and re-splice everything. Sadly, there are 3 holes in the lower dash that were drilled to attach this, the lower dash is pristine otherwise and does not need replacement.

As an aside, when I got the dash out ( thank you Markos for your decon thread), there was a lone puzzle piece behind it, quite ironic.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are going to the effort of restoring your dash, I would lose the aftermarket gauges. More importantly, was your coupe originally Taiga? If it is a Taiga car, you are a lucky man!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would not install gauges hanging down under the dash. That said, before deciding to do away with them completely, I would ask what do they measure and do you use them? They appear to be oil temperature and oil pressure. I've done this in my car, but it was a ton of work and involves deleting the radio altogether:

20170730_184321.jpg

Somebody makes a three gauge version of this that is available commercially (LeatherZ, maybe?) and accommodates the radio. There is also the option of replacing the center speaker grill with a gauge plate similar to those used in the Alpina race cars.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have little desire to keep them unless they add some value down the line. Forgive my sarcasm but I live in Ma where everyone drives looking at everything but the road. I view this as a distraction mostly. I may just bury it behind the dash if I change my mind later. Problem is that lower dash has holes drilled to accomodate it. This would mean I live with the holes or buy another lower dash. At least the lower part of the dash is easy to exchange.

Yes it is Taiga, a pleasant suprise for me. My family thinks its over the top, why the PO painted the car red is beyond me. Maybe he/she listened to their family, I have no intention of listening to mine (for this decision that is).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on the explanation. You mention holes in the wood, but also refer to the lower dash. Where exactly were the gauges mounted?

If the holes were drilled on the wood shelf, you can fill the holes and replace the vinyl. I’ll add details later once I know where the hole are.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Three screws to hold the gauges in place, 3 holes made in error I suppose.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Three screws to hold the gauges in place, 3 holes made in error I suppose.

View attachment 67488

I would recover that piece. If you want gauges go with one of the cleaner options shown. I like data and information. I’m going with gauges also but ensuring that my approach is reversible. I am mounting a map light to my dashboard tray though.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rob,

I mis-interpreted what you meant by dashboard in my PM to you. A professional upholstery shop might be able to repair it the way I mentioned, but I could not!! The dash I was referring to is the horizontal (or tray) part that has the 3 small wood inserts.

Gary-

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rob,

I mis-interpreted what you meant by dashboard in my PM to you. A professional upholstery shop might be able to repair it the way I mentioned, but I could not!! The dash I was referring to is the horizontal (or tray) part that has the 3 small wood inserts.

Gary-

Madera concepts makes that piece. It wouldn’t be that difficult to replicate, but the underside has a bit “going on” compared to the top.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ditch the gauges altogether.

I prefer to convert an old FUEL/TEMP gauge to OIL PRESSURE and VOLT.

And get rid of the center speaker.

E.g.:

View attachment 67543
Rob,

I have a spare fuel/temp gauge. Where would one get the voltage/pressure gauge conversion done, and what sending unit would be needed for the oil pressure?

Thanks,

Gary-

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assume you mean the other Rob. I may eliminate the center speaker and place there. Long way away however.

Rob, that dash is awesome. The wood I pulled out of mine...well I had to design a setup so it would not fall apart on removal. I always wanted top be an archaeologist.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That gauge and dash belong to @steve in reno and was done by North Hollywood Speedometer,

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary VDO sells a sender you can use in place of the stock sender that sends oil pressure to the gauge and keeps the stock idiot light. I have one in my car.

There is also the Paul Cain approach:
20160819_122148.jpg
20160819_122154.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my simple Alpina style, I like the stock speaker grill or gauge cluster in this spot, seems to break up the otherwise large swath of wood IMHO. Whichever way you choose to go, I am in favor of the extra gauges, the volt meter has already saved my a$$ and I am hoping the oil pressure gauge will warn me of impending grenading of engine before the idiot light indicates it already has.

jci1Ot045bNUjFnZDws53YH7ayD-1TLa0PViNDUEvdBIb6KdRBxSZFt0U9A4U-jLfJWoZ_bxKFeNvM7yjH2DvCIBaIpYwI2m9bd5YAMhWGeTD133jqT8hXdRsmJjmtA5SdvruBr235DuKMKoRINohug0_HP6mlcUFLbdYXsy_8u6vg7ymlpCN5hChY12LH_jNbopdabAu6lURWd3dNbm9ew9tnkr_icFHqAqcOTHcQkTR-w-9_gkIyj3-48gWWANZEGnrNJBstWo2sBaXq1wAGHqhb0v0pi_uqKW__SiyXzppcnyrGM-T70HeaIipRPdXlo9lTq7L6TnA6FOjIBv8mypueO37VpLuK68RMAtNm8vF7F3wpoR0vUGurGVPChr4d2OWktHHdqVjdl-N8hh6dc6ux5gPFmISz1NKiKZEfGtuANQjFLSS3hfMvXJF5DoNNKJinIhsuoYDD-Zkg504QmQDxIVAnlcBFnQm00_idKlBtPUn2BTnwTDn6PU03gGN7QRe_Rgp7H8pSvVM_zXVsmsdlzw18pITdc6pXktBtsLYOSbdKR6NXbYPM6U-7uXzxGqBZ1J2rFBZNJ1wpetIPbtlVebX4sv263s2bvVp4OYC3l6zeEkOpBuCdOlefXXV7f4IbVjmWEGOK7rfO2lh_iF_J3ygUk=w1070-h781-no

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is my over-the-top setup. Like everything of mine, they are just parts in a bin at the moment. There is something about four gauges that looks less appealing than three. As mentioned I like data, and I’m keeping my original non-AC console and wood tray.

I’m using AC console sides, as the gauge plate is based off of an AC face plate. The AC console puts your gauges at about a 45 degree viewing angle. I’m currently in the process of filling the AC vent holes on the side and having it professionally recovered.

See other four gauge console examples from Duane Sword and DeQuincy.

24C0E98B-31A9-486A-A25E-713A73F29AF8.jpeg

Reactions: JDH