Dash Cam - Hard Wiring

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a hard-wired Dash Cam into their E9?

I installed one a few years ago into my daily driver (F25) by tapping into the mirror/rain detector 12v source and stepping it down to 5v. That circuit is ignition-dependent, so there is no concern about draining the battery whilst parked.

The only 12v source I can think of that is near the top of the windshield is the dome light, but that is on a constant power circuit - and I have already forgotten to pull the power cord out of the cigarette lighter (which is also constant) a few times and running down the battery. Plus, stringing a cord around the windshield and down to the console looks gaudy (and thus, negates using the radio ignition power as the wire would still have to be routed up the same way up to the camera).

Alternatively - I have seen newer X-series vehicles with pin-hole cameras installed in the bumpers and these must be corded with a controller/recording unit somewhere safe from the elements. This would be fairly easy to install and power with an ignition-dependent circuit.

Thanks for any input.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think you could bring a power wire out of the mirror anchor spot - power is already right near there at the dome light (non- sunroof coupes). i also think Rob is correct with the A pillar. the only other option i could think of is the seatbelt light on newer coupes ... or using the speaker hole to fish a wire out somewhere thru the upper dash

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about the power window circuit. It only works with ignition and you can easily access it below the shifter console.
Better to jump off the latching relay near hood release as it energizes the window circuit, pics in our FAQ on wiring and relays.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed a female 1/8" jack into the seat belt warning pod on the dash to power my radar detector. Perhaps do the same and it's removable when you take the dash cam out. Easy to wire it up, putting it on the side instead of the front like I did will make getting the male plug in and out easier, I have to use a 90 degree one and it's a pita.

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed a female 1/8" jack into the seat belt warning pod on the dash to power my radar detector. Perhaps do the same and it's removable when you take the dash cam out. Easy to wire it up, putting it on the side instead of the front like I did will make getting the male plug in and out easier, I have to use a 90 degree one and it's a pita.

This is not possible on my coupe - mine is a CSi and I do not have this dash indicator. However, very creative, and I may mount the camera lower and pull power from the radio ignition circuit.

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Follow up: I found a dual USB port on Amazon for $10. I'm always hesitant to drill any new holes or change anything from the original, but I chose to install the USB port inside of the glove box due to it's proximity to where the power is needed and where I can draw ignition power from (the radio). Also, the glove box has enough of a gap to fish the camera wire out of.

The hole was easy to drill, the port mounts nice and flush, and fishing the USB wiring harness over to clip into the radio power was simple enough.

I'd rather be able to hide the cabling altogether, but I'll take this solution for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 79

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Follow up: I found a dual USB port on Amazon for $10. I'm always hesitant to drill any new holes or change anything from the original, but I chose to install the USB port inside of the glove box due to it's proximity to where the power is needed and where I can draw ignition power from (the radio). Also, the glove box has enough of a gap to fish the camera wire out of.

The hole was easy to drill, the port mounts nice and flush, and fishing the USB wiring harness over to clip into the radio power was simple enough.

I'd rather be able to hide the cabling altogether, but I'll take this solution for now.
I'm curious about the need for one of these. What do you use this for?

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm curious about the need for one of these. What do you use this for?
I mean no offense to the older and retired on this board, but I live in a desert "snow bird" area and the quality of drivers during my "driving season" (fall/winter/spring) goes down just when I am driving the car most. I've had several cameras in my daily drivers and have so far caught a 4 car pile-up right in front of me, an SUV hit a car next to me and rolled over (like something out of a movie), plus many instances of road ragers. It's a smart $100 investment.

Also - that model camera has both a forward and rear/cabin camera...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I mean no offense to the older and retired on this board, but I live in a desert "snow bird" area and the quality of drivers during my "driving season" (fall/winter/spring) goes down just when I am driving the car most. I've had several cameras in my daily drivers and have so far caught a 4 car pile-up right in front of me, an SUV hit a car next to me and rolled over (like something out of a movie), plus many instances of road ragers. It's a smart $100 investment.

Also - that model camera has both a forward and rear/cabin camera...
Got it. I have family in Glendale and in Phoenix, so I've seen this first hand.