Dash Gauges rather than Clock

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of seeing if I could get a 2nd fuel /temp gauge and fit it in the clock's spot on the dash to give me oil pressure and oil temp . If I could also finangle a LCD voltmeter where one of the warning lights goes that would be a bonus. Was originally thinking that a duel gauge could be retrofitted in the clock, but then it occurred to me the existing temp/fuel gauge might be easy enough to integrate. I am not an electronics wiz, but I have a friend who is. I suppose you would need to calibrate the pressure and heat senders by way of a resistor or some such thing. Anyone have any ideas on the feasibility of this?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul Cain did a "what if BMW built a 3.8 CSi " project and one feature was adding temp and pressure gauge where the clock was. Can't seem to locate his site but it was also in the BMW Roundel in Aug 2000,

That was my first inspiration!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, Thanks Stan. If I can find some info on this that would be great (Paul...you out there?)
That sounds like a great Mod. The clock does look very nice, but I don't need to know the time.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks Stan. If I can find some info on this that would be great (Paul...you out there?)
That sounds like a great Mod. The clock does look very nice, but I don't need to know the time.

As I recall, he had N. Hollywood Speedo make him the unit.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nicad,
When you see the sort of mods Paul made you head will swim!
The car is an awesome example of what could be done without detracting from the style elements of the cars we all love.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
website status

I am trying to get the site back up. Apologies, the host of the site is pretty non-responsive.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just bought an extra gauge to experiment with. I hope this project ends up working out.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
www.38csi.com site is back up

NiCad,
The gauge I started with was an early 924 porsche face that had the two windows in the correct position. this is the face you might want to source, this was then custom silk screened along with the two gauges oil pressure and temp. and then assembled into the original e9 gauge canister.

Hope this helps,

Paul Cain

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Paul , might you have a photo of the finished product?

steve in reno

Reaction score
I also installed a v meter and o/p gauge where the clock goes. N Hollywood did the work and it came out excellent. Cost was reasonable.
Pic's are found with search.
The clock body is not large enough for this. I had to send them a fuel/temp body for the conversion.
Time is no importance as I am now retired!
steve

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here ya go! Glad I'd saved this somewhere. Courtesy of Paul Cain.
6444802631_7d1993a876_o.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo Bert. That looks exactly like what I want. Steve, do you know what terms I should use in the search? Didn't have any luck with gauges.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks of the link Bert. I will get in contact with North Hollywood. Steve, just wondering what those two Black items are with the crinkle paint?

steve in reno

Reaction score
Nicad
if you search for posts from steve in reno you will get even more pics I believe.
I thank Bert for the help.
Not sure what 2 crinkle parts you are referring?
steve

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Photo 41 of 45, just after the Honda CX. Maybe these are Bike parts.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Stevehose is correct.
Item was purchased from a fellow forum member and sold to another forum member after I completed the dash.

I do have enough veneer for another dash and side rails in this jewelbox carpathian elm burl if anyone might be interested.

Bike is actually a GL model of the CX family. air shocks front and rear mono, water cooled shaft drive. 40K miles and no leaks. Bullet proof ride. 650 cc. Produced 1 year 1983.
Not many would know that CX look