Dash material.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction on replacing the dash vinyl? I called just dashes and they’re backed up for > 2 months on turn around time, I asked if they would sell me the material and have a local upholstery shop replace them, they wouldn’t sell the material nor tell me where I can pic some up.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i would imagine that contacting a company like Veteran Company would be a good start to find the material - a thin vinyl for wrapping the shaped pieces. if you need the thick vinyl for the bottom part of the dash that's something altogether different. http://www.veteranco.com/
they are in LA so not hard for you to check out.

you should check out Juan Ortiz, he has done some very nice coupe interior work.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used a small shop in Costa Mesa, Universal on 17th St. He just matched the vinyl and recovered the top piece only for me. You cannot tell the difference.

Juan has a huge backlog right now, there’s a Turkis coupe in his shop from this Forum.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have heard great things ... and not-so-great things about just dashes ... they are also VERY expensive. i would check on the guy HBChris is talking about. i have seen his top dash and its as perfect as i've seen.

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Rex,
Could you post what you find out from Universal. I'm in need of new vinyl as well.

Thanks,

Jake

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Rex,
Could you post what you find out from Universal. I'm in need of new vinyl as well.

Thanks,

Jake

I am having my wood refurbished in conjunction with my mini restoration and they just informed me that we need the black vinyl on the dashboard replaced next to the word. Is this the correct source? Please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am sure this shop buys its vinyl from either Veteran in LA, Global in Santa Ana of even Gahh or World, they don’t have a secret stash, they just matched what they could find to my original dash. Any auto upholstery shop should be able to do this.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am sure this shop buys its vinyl from either Veteran in LA, Global in Santa Ana of even Gahh or World, they don’t have a secret stash, they just matched what they could find to my original dash. Any auto upholstery shop should be able to do this.

Getting the vinyl taken care of is the last step in my mini restoration that I have not had any real progress with. I have left to the end because I am told it should not be that big of a deal but now I am getting nervous. Should I?

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
Hey Rex,

Thanks,

Jake
Jake,

I spoke to lee (the new owner/son of the original owner) seems like a reasonable guy and the price was also reasonable. He also provides the R&R service.

I’m waiting for a slot to bring my car in. I’ll let you know.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Scott. With all the classic cars I have had including 9 Corvettes ,15 BMWs and many others to a tune of 50 plus vehicles I found that the small shop with older owners with years of experience,did the best job at the lowest prices and the fastest turnover. These shops that,because of word of mouth from members like those of this forum,create the reputation for the shops they recommend,thus higher prices,and longer turnover time. These shops that we recommend may be good and we are satisfied with their work,however what have we done to compare the work with smaller shop that may be as good or even better. Back in the days when I was driving Vettes,there was a shop in Worcester Ma. Whose reputation of being the best body shop in New England. So of course I had all my Corvette body work done at that shop. I got to know the owner well and recommended him to all my friends. He was good charged twice as much as any other shop in the area. The last Corvette I took up to the shop was for a paint job. When I picked up the car all the sharp edges were burned through. I was very upset and asked to talk to the owner. What he told me was he had not physically worked on cars for a few years and t he person who buffed my car was from a vocational school working on an internship for his senior year. Never again went back to have any work done on any of my cars and never recommended the shop again.
Again just some tips. The highest price does not always mean the best work.
Thanks

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I googled auto upholstery and got Big Al’s in Hailey, give them a call. There must be others, your body guy has no recommendations?

Thank you. I believe that my carpet was done by big Al’s many years ago. I called them up and left a message and have not heard back. People are a bit flaky and my mountain town. I don’t recall it being the best experience with the workout done in the end and got done well. I am hoping that Benny can take the lead on this. I will ask him tomorrow when I see him. I believe the car is being painted tomorrow. I cannot wait

jmackro

Reaction score
I used a small shop in Costa Mesa, Universal on 17th St.

I used Universal years ago to re-cover my dash pieces. To give you an idea of how long ago that was, Murray Fowler had recommended them to me. The proprietor at that time was John Muntean; John explained that he used vinyl without a fabric backing so that he could stretch it around the complex shape of the gauge shroud. I was quite please with the results.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
have a spare gauge cluster piece and some very thin vinyl. i might give it a try to wrap it and see if it comes out okay.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting the vinyl taken care of is the last step in my mini restoration that I have not had any real progress with. I have left to the end because I am told it should not be that big of a deal but now I am getting nervous. Should I?

Scott,

I remember mention of this in one of your videos - very brief. Please confirm, is it the flat piece of vinyl that serves as the shelf, or is it the curved dash pieces. If it is the flap part, just about anyone with glue and vinyl could do it.