DIY - Air Conditioning Updating with Sanden Compressor and Parallel Flow Condenser

This DIY is subject to editing. More posts are being reviewed and information will be added.
I have tried to credit the people for their original posted information.
If there are errors or lacking information in here please let me know.

Air Conditioning Compressor and Bracket Selection

Posts were searched for this DIY:

@Stevehose did a great write up in 2011 as follows and some info was used:

Book by Rob Siegal "Just Needs a Recharge: The Hack Mechanic Guide to Vintage Air Conditioning."

Sanden Compressor and Mounting Bracket

The wing cell bracket (dimensions shown below) is part # 64-52-1-284-953 might be found on eBay or try Al Taylor - [email protected] @rsporsche

Might have to grind some of the wing cell bracket to allow it to lay flat against the block as it might interfere with the rib on the block. @Dan Wood
Others have had to shim the compressor bracket to the wing cell bracket. @Luis A.

L.C. Wylie & Co. Sanden Compressor Bracket https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/

1626190916396.png
1626191665414.png
1626190951010.png
1626190996576.png

1974 only - 74 is the only year with this unique bracket and compressor, part # 64 52 1 272 240. The original compressor has a mounting ear on the very top and vert bottom. @HB Chris

Compressors

-switch from old York boat anchor to "Sanden style" 709 compressor and York mounting bracket from Johnjoysyl eBay seller ($190 for both and must be at least a 15lb weight savings): @Stevehose (Steve has later recommended the L.C. Wylie & Co bracket per above)

1626207677329.png

508 or 709 works just fine. There's a lot of variations of both, different fittings and different sized pulleys etc. This is the one I like. A 709 with a 125mm pulley. Larger pulleys work (132mm I think), but can make installing the bolts more difficult. The 508 has 5 pistons and the 709 has 7. There's very little functional difference, I've used both with great results. But in theory the 709 is the "better" one, so I usually go with it if the price is about the same. @Layne

We buy from authorized Sanden dealer. I don't buy knockoffs because I have to replace them for free when they fall apart.
VINTAGE AIR DOCK 04808-VUA COMPRESSOR A/C SD-508 134. You want bling- buy the chrome model Bling-Bling @sfdon

Following are examples of where to buy the compressors:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-04709-vua @Layne @Stevehose

1626201859625.png

1626202333325.png

1626209917518.png
@Rex Kapriellian

Compressor Belt

1626207908251.png

***************Looks like the best belt choice is either 9330 or 9335 (see below)************** However, several lengths will work.

For AC I used Gates XL9345 (12.5/13mm x 885mm). I have an unknown (not stock- looks kind of like yours) compressor mounted on one of Layne's brackets. @TedS

Optional Belt Numbers same as XL9345 @Dan Wood
1626201941963.png

12/12/2021 For Sanden 508 with Layne's bracket
And the winner is...9335 (same as the one Chris has on his E12 with the same bracket and compressor as I have). I think the last three digits are the length of the belt in 10ths of an inch....so a 33.5" belt. I think Steve's Napa 25-9330 would probably work also. per @Dick Steinkamp

Non original pulley options will require different belt lengths.

Last edited:

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
AC Parallel Flow Condensers

This section is to provide ideas on selecting and mounting a condenser and fan.

Posts were searched for this information:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/upgrading-to-a-parallel-flow-condenser.26316/

Article from Rob Siegal "thehackmechanic"
https://www.bmwcca.org/roundel/conditioning-coupe-part-701-700 (there are probably more to be added)

Condenser summary

The consensus seems to be that the Parallel Flow Condenser should be between 16 x 18 and 16 x 20.
Larger than that might cause frost back from the original evaporator.

16 x 18 @mark99 @Stevehose 16 x 19 @Dan Wood 16 x 20 can fit @HB Chris

I think I used 16x21 or 22 but larger will fit. It will freeze the hard lines under the dash! (R-134a) @HB Chris

Condenser Fans

Stock is quieter and less effective and the Spal noisy and more effective

1626219785126.png
Old stuff replaced with new stuff.... @sfdon

(Below)-replace old crusty condenser with modern 16x18" parallel flow version from nostalgicairparts.com ($90): @Stevehose

1626220193827.png

Examples of Mounting the Condenser and Fan

(Below) Condenser Mounting Nostalgic AC Parts 1 44-1618 16 X 18 Superflow R-134a Condenser @mark99
(The 16x18 Condenser from Nostalgic was out of stock June 2021)

1626220306042.png

(Below) Condenser Mounting @sfdon

1626220684971.png

(Below) Fan Mounts - I just checked, I bought a SPAL 0517 for $90, it pushes a ton of air but is noisy, not on the freeway but at idle or at a traffic light. I just used the plastic mounts, no issues. 16 x 20 Condenser @HB Chris

1626220859051.png

(Below) Spal fan mount other than direct to condenser @Nicad @bluecoupe30!

1626220951891.png
1626220975149.png

FYI- Unless you need further help from Nostalgic AC, the 16X18 condenser mentioned, is available from Ebay shipped at about $60. Part# is CN20015XC, made in China by UAC. Thought it might have been made in US. At any rate, it does appear to be made with quality parts. Save $65 between freight and cost. @Ed G

(Below)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VS1LY7I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
16 x 19 UAC Parallel Flow Condenser @Dan Wood

1626221097111.png

(Below) On this E9 I installed a generic parallel flow condenser and made all new hard lines, generic dryer etc. The only original part was the evaporator. I used the biggest condenser I could fit (I forget the size, but you can find it in my thread "72 restomod"). It would have been difficult or maybe impossible to install that size condenser with the engine in place (my apologies to anyone who may need to replace it in the future). Other than that, the engine isn't in the way much, and if you're using original pipes and condenser, it shouldn't be in your way at all. I would probably install the lines and condenser first, then the engine, then the compressor and hoses. @Layne

1626221355723.png

1626221401011.png
1626221422848.png

Attachments

• 1626219922826.png
    1626219922826.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 1626220160566.png
    1626220160566.png
    277.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
AC Drier, Hose, and Fittings

Post(s) searched for this information:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/a-c-replacement.36799/
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-upgrade-photos-details.9633/

The recommended drier from @sfdon fits the original bracket and has the same fittings as original
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Number/Receiver-Drier-__1158350471_BEH_A9F1070E.aspx

If using the stock evap, always good to flush it and stick on a new expansion valve. @teahead

One potential source for the Expansion Valve is:

@pickman did a great write up on required hose and fittings as follows:

I completed this conversion about a year ago. Attached is a list of the hose fittings, hoses, condenser coil and compressor part numbers and cost at that time. I used the same conversion bracket as shown in the threads. I had some old R12 and used this changed the compressor oil and it works very good. To fabricate the hoses I purchased the end fittings and some cheap clear plastic hose to arrive at the hose cut lengths (think twice cut once) and it came out great. The only part that I caution is once the new compressor is installed with belt the compressor pully is fairly close to radiator lower hose. To remedy this took some repositioning of the compressor mounting bracket and move the radiator as far toward the passenger side as possible. Got lots of photos of this conversion if you need.

My hose lengths were not the same as @pickman so recommend using smaller hose for checking length before cutting the #8 Hose. I used 5/8 inch heater hose as that is what I had available. @Dan Wood

The earlier E9s has a Vibration Damper (Accumulator) that can be eliminated when changing to the Sanden Compressor @HB Chris

The hard lines on my project were cut and destroyed when I bought it. The suction side hard tube I was able to acquire has a #10 Female fitting. I had to procure a #10 Male Flare to #10 Hose. I also chose a 45 degree #6 O'Ring to #8 Hose for the bottom outlet of the condenser which a 90 degree #6 O'Ring to #8 Hose would have worked better. Other than that the fittings are identical to what @pickman posted. @Dan Wood

Sources for the Hose and Fittings

@sfdon sells AC hose kits.

I think if I did this again I would try the Reduced Barrier Hose and Fittings. @Dan Wood

https://coldhose.com/ can also provide the Flare Fitting Copper Washers, O'Rings, and Hose Assemblies

Johnjoysyl on eBay

Crimping tools run from $151 for Mastercool or $106 from Vevor. They appear to be identical as they use the same pictures. Vevor might be the manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-7...astercool+crimping+tool&qid=1626223846&sr=8-2

https://www.vevor.com/products/hose...JwpZwXfteGntJWhytkwyMsfK0XGCNx_xoC5ggQAvD_BwE

Vevor Crimper
1626395799590.png
1626395858436.png

Last edited:

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Electrical

Replacement for AC Fan Switch 64511352023, discontinued

One recommendation is to use an INDAK 2 speed fan switch such as below which is currently not avilable from Amazon and can be found from industrial supplier. @sfdon

Below is one possible source @billpatterson

The following schematic is to add an 82C auxiliary fan switch to the radiator drain so the condenser fan will turn on without the AC to help prevent the car from overheating if stuck in traffic:

The 82C fan switch is for an extra port in the radiator and does not replace the drain.

A thermostat housing with extra ports can be added pn 11531710959 with a 91C fan switch @sfdon

91 C Fan Switch.png
Aux Fan Schematic.png

Last edited:

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
If using the stock evap, always good to flush it and stick on a new expansion valve.
I added it Rob and will also look for the TXV recommended part.
Great suggestion and I missed that one.
I wish I had replaced mine but so far am lucky as it is working.
Thx,
Dan

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI if you want to go custom for the evap (hard to find OEM if converting from non-AC):

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan ... this is going to be very helpful when i get to reinstall my a/c. many thanks for putting this together. i have many of the same parts already.

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dan, my car is coming close to completion. Recently I’ve done a flurry of post on the car.

I will do a search after this post, but is there an easy-to- find collection of pictures of your car?

Thanks, Robert

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, my car is coming close to completion. Recently I’ve done a flurry of post on the car.

I will do a search after this post, but is there an easy-to- find collection of pictures of your car?

Thanks, Robert
Robert
We have taken a lot of pics but haven't posted that many. I use them mostly to help with memory. If you need something in particular please let me know. Your car is looking good!
Dan

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our shop stocks the new 4 hoses for a retro fit.
they are made by Motion & Flow Control Products.

we carry early and late series hoses to fit our setup.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Vintage Air 04808-VUA - Vintage Air Sanden Air Conditioning Compressors
spacer.gif
VTA-04808-VUA
Air Conditioning Compressor, Sanden 508, Aluminum, Natural, 2-Groove V-Belt Pulley, R-134A, Each
(Mfr. #: 04808-VUA)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I did all this a couple years ago. I worked well and then not so well.
Found out the expansion valve was wacko. Of course the hardest thing to get to.
I replaced it and it works but it not achieving the high low required to cool to under 40 degrees.
Get a new one, be very careful with dirt and hope it works.
The valves are simple but designed for R12 and not 134. There is a difference in the properties.
Rob does not cover this.
Luis and some others are investigating an aftermarket evaporator and expansion valve.
One other thing I would do if I did it again.
I would convert all the copper washer type fittings to o-rings.
That is not easy for the evaporator. Someone would have to cut off existing and solder on new ones.
There are also adapter fittings to do this. Do not know about those.

I had all my hoses made at an AC shop in Marietta.
Literally took car there and made hoses to fit on site.
No problems with fit.
Looks like Don has an easy solution for that.

I'm local if you need help.

Gary Beck

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dan, thank you for the kind comments.

A/C will be next year’s project.

Hope to meet you prior to the start of the project!

RP

Whipcity

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

Reading with extreme interest! Would you theoretically suppose this s/o would work for a ‘72 E3?

Thanks,
Hugh