Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I never would have guessed that they were

Weißer Kantenschutz / Keder Gepäckraum Radhausverkleidung​

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like my '69 box is part of the side trim panel.

IMG_20190528_194230773.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WOW! So many variations of attachment methods (plus two locations for the chock and two different carpets...cut for box vs under box). Like so many other vintage BMW details, a book could be written on this one...and probably still not capture all the combinations, permutations, applicable build dates, etc.

Christoph

Reaction score
think only 2500/2800 through 1970 had the snap on the side and they are almost impossible to snap, they were never on the floor.
1971 2800 E3, no spaps on bottom.
Have spoken to my president (E3 Club) these days. He was with his father when the father picked up his 2800 at the factory in 1969. That started a life-long addiction. Series 1 cars had the snaps, and they never worked. The father was an ambitious driver, i.e. the box flew around in the boot all the time. The carpet covered the whole boot floor. also under the box, given it stayed in place. The cutout came with the Series 2 and probably also the screws through the bottom of the box.

@Hans woonboot & @dang: The boxes in your cars look most extraordinary, but BMW was a small manufacturer then. That may make the unexpected a lot less strange. Hans, if it is possible and you don't mind I'd love to take a look at the box (and your car) some time. Most places in the Netherlands are within 500 km from where I live, and it may well be worth a trip.

Christoph

Reaction score
WOW! So many variations of attachment methods (plus two locations for the chock and two different carpets...cut for box vs under box). Like so many other vintage BMW details, a book could be written on this one...and probably still not capture all the combinations, permutations, applicable build dates, etc.
Exactly.
Please be sure to provide some pictures and event description of the E3 Club gathering. Is it always in the same location or does that rotate? Always the same time of year?
Yes, I will. In short, the meetings are in a different place every year, depending on where there are local members who like to do a lot of work in advance and show us their favourite country roads. They are always in Germany but when close to the border we try for detours to our neighbour countries, e.g. the Netherlands (11 & 19), France (13) or Austria (15). This year the meeting will be quite in the centre of Germany, in the Marburg area. The gatherings are on the 3rd or 4th weekend of September, give or take a week. Suits our members well, holiday season is over, and the weather is still nice, well, sometimes quite nice.

Hans woonboot

Reaction score
Ik heb deze dagen met mijn voorzitter (E3 Club) gesproken. Hij was bij zijn vader toen de vader zijn 2800 ophaalde in de fabriek in 1969. Dat begon een levenslange verslaving. Serie 1-auto's hadden de drukknopen en ze werkten nooit. De vader was een ambitieuze chauffeur, dat wil zeggen dat de bak de hele tijd in de kofferbak rondvloog. Het tapijt bedekte de hele koffervloer. ook onder de doos, aangezien deze op zijn plaats bleef. De uitsparing kwam met de Series 2 en waarschijnlijk ook de schroeven door de onderkant van de doos.

@Hans woonboot & @dang: De dozen in je auto's zien er buitengewoon uit, maar BMW was toen een kleine fabrikant. Dat maakt het onverwachte misschien een stuk minder vreemd. Hans, als het mogelijk is en je het niet erg vindt zou ik graag een keer naar de doos (en je auto) willen kijken. De meeste plaatsen in Nederland liggen binnen een straal van 500 km van waar ik woon, en het is misschien wel een reis waard

Hans woonboot

Reaction score
Hi Christoffer, you can always come and see me. Unfortunately the car has been disassembled and I am working on the sheet metal. I live in Leiden. Regards Hans

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was joking about the equator because of Coriolis acceleration.............water circles the drain below the equator in one direction and opposite above the equator. I'll be quiet now.
Yes, and it made me laugh and then wonder if fuel and air swirl around in different directions south of the equator. "Well you see, there's your problem right there. You've got a northern hemisphere venturi. That'll never work down here."