E9 A/C options

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would like to check what are the options for A/C in E9.

I'm expecting E3/E9 heater module is exchangeable.

What about:
1. E3 facelift
2. E12,
3. E23/E24 pre-facelift,
4. E28.

E9 with an air condition were almost an unicorn-like equipment in European cars, even such a luxury as E3 or E9.

It looks like for example E28 A/C unit is still quite compact but devil's in details.

Does anyone of You made any interesting A/C-fitting exercise?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Curve ball here, I've been looking at A/C for mine too but turbo means I'll be too tight for space, what about the electric air compressor kits that you can get nowadays? More efficient and runs newer style gas, I'm not too sure how easy it is to convert the old systems to run R134A

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
as far as interior components (the hard stuff to find), the only thing I can think of that will interchange is an E3 evaporator and blower motor (and switches).

Nothing from an E12/E28.

Of course, the console sides and faceplate are all E9-specific.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw an electric A/C installation in an XK140 and it was totally neat and looked like it belonged there The condenser and compressor were mounted in the wheel well. I don't know what was under the dash but the shop that did it is close by and I can always find out as the owner is a great guy

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about reuse of E12/E23 parts and standard E9 heater/blower housing with some specifica brackets being added?

Regarding electric A/C this might not be bad idea (no mess under the hood) but for the exercise I would like to consider BMW approach if possible.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If this fits a 2002, I'm sure it can fit an E9; something like:

Baikal Bimmer

Reaction score
Anyone know if one of these seiko pumps with the associated bracket would work? My car has a b35 and came with one of these originally when in a 735

image.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those Seikos were pretty robust, and probably can be made to work. The issue is going to be how efficient it may be, which probably depends on how old it may be. I would check the age of that thing and go from there. More than ten years old, just get a new one.

The Sandens can be made to work with either R12 or R134.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought a reconditioned Seiko from Mesa, still going strong after 7 years. If it ever fails I would buy a real Sanden.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am using a Seltec Identical to a Selden and a few bucks less. Mine is for R12 Of which I have 6 cans stashed

Last edited:

tronch

Reaction score
If this fits a 2002, I'm sure it can fit an E9; something like:

This is the one I use. I bought to this people from Dallas, but they just buy at old air products and resell.
no support form them.
I can forward more info if someone interested

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's good there is a modern option to consider.

My current approach is to try to use BMW parts. My initial question was coming from the observation BMW was reusing many parts. It applies to many common parts and A/C that time up to 90's was a real luxury. Being low volume it made no sense to develop new part for each model. And we know even housing of the A/C is common with E3.

Over the years BMW part number changes with no or minor changes in the shape to the user/car.

E23/E24 (pre facelift) modules are quite compact and still available. That's why I was asking about the differences in details and probability of reuse.

My chances to buy A/C module in EU for non-sick money are close to zero. Even looking on eBay US, I saw none of them for some time.

The rest of parts can be bought new or manufactured w/o any problems.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm using it from time to time.

I have been cheated once over there (broken part was sold to me). The best to have someone there who can check it before payment.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would just look for with "Klimaanlage E9" but some parts can be reused from other. Look on RealOEM or similar to check what is exchangeable with E3/E10... MB.

tronch

Reaction score
yes check “BMW E9 Klima”. ”BMW E9 air”
I just search, but no many things

Using traslation you can post there as “suche”. Means looking for, and people can contact you