E9 CS 3.0 alpina

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That manifold looks exactly like mine on my Alpina equipped engine. Alpina has the serial number of the cars they produced. This could be a very valuable car you have there. Will need a huge restoration, but if it is what it looks like, you are in the money.

I couldn't find an Alpina M30 Weber manifold, but I also noticed that it looked a lot like the Alpina M10 carburator manifolds.

Magnets ussually do not lie...It is a CSL.
Moving forward.

Given the potential provenance of this car, I would reach out to Gerrit, Yanick, or BMWPete via this forum's PM feature and ask for some recommendations on next steps.

Next up! Can you post some pictures of the dashboard and steering wheel? I'm curious to know what wheel it is sporting, and if there are gauges in the speaker holes. You can probably roll the car outside and take a leaf blower to it. That would rid you of the current Indiana Jones look.

To give you a little bit of inspiration about a Colorado Orange Alpina car, here is Yannick's old Inka Orange (more reddish orange) genuine Alpina B2S.

1971-bmw-alpina-03.jpg

Here is what Colorado looks like:
71-BMW_CSL_DV_14-MM-04.jpg

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are a very lucky guy! Wonderful find.
Zaragoza is a lovely city, I have been there a few times. We have very old and close family friends there. Maybe one day we will meet up there.
Definitely get in touch with folks mentioned above.
Your car is worthy of a full nut and bolt restoration. Just a matter if that is in the budget or not.
If it's not in the budget to do a full resto, this car is worth some big money even presented as a barn find.
Scott
Sanibel, Florida USA

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your car looks safe and DRY! Don't worry about it's looks. The real damage was done driving around northern Europe in February in the 70s. Look for information from Alpina and the experts mentioned above. Hopefully, you'll get input to figure out if it is a B2s or not. Airboxes, bolted up "Petal" wheels, headers, etc. all come into play. You will find that figuring out this car's history and learning about it is as much fun as anything else that has to do with it.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
FYI you can send your Alpina to BMW Classic division in Germany and they will fully restore using their NOS or sourcing the parts.
https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/offers-and-services/classic-center.html
If I wanted my BMW fully restored I would definitely do that. ie put in a container and transport to Germany for the BMW experts to do all the work. Would be the safest and most trustworthy way for a full restoration on such an important car like yours. Also I suspect the price would be lower as they wouldn't rip you off, unlike what an independent restorer might.

Fonzy_75

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for your advice. I Will really take into account when deciding where to take It. Right now I am trying to get informed about the history of the car and getting a wide scope of the issue (I am new in this e9 world)

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Can you re-upload pictures? And what a Dad!!! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Based on your VIN you have one of the first 169 true lightweight 1971 carbureted CSLs, they built 23 from 2211537-2211559. Paint code 02 is Colorado. Hopefully you can bring it back to life! Share more pics when you can.

According the the lezebre.eu website regarding the Alpina E9 CSL - "The Alpina factory built less than 15 of these extremely rare BMWs and only nine are known to exist today"
So would this Spain barn find car be one of the 15? So now 10 Alpina's exist?

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Fonzy

I have a CSL that was said to be modified by Alpina in the 70's. you can find the tread about it at
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/csl-photos-questions-will-follow.10520/
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/csl-restoration-beginning.10868/

I have e mailed Alpina but they were not very helpful they said they didn't have much of the records from those days.
I met someone in the BMW booth in Techno-Classica Essen couple years ago he told me to call a specific person at Alpina but I have to dig out that contact.
I'll send it to you if I find it.

Good luck

Harun