E9 driving feel

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Rear shock towers, be sure to reinforce them as there have been noted failures from metal fatigue..

Also I haven't heard this. I know this is a problem on the E46 M3 rear shock tower, but didn't realise the E9 was susceptible?[/QUOTE]

The e46 was susceptible in stock form because the computer program BMW employed to design the e46 used German roads as a frame of reference. US roads are neither designed as well nor maintained. In and around our nation's capital, the majority of our road surfaces are rated as fair to poor (and I would bet if the Germans were rating these roads they would be rated "shitty"). As I travel around I find similar road surface quality throughout the US.

The traumas transmitted by our crappy roads are less likely to be absorbed by tire sidewalls as we move from 14" wheels to 15" wheels to 16" wheels and beyond. And lowered, sporty suspensions do not absorb those shocks as well as more compliant stock suspensions. Add to this engine modifications that also impart more stress to the vehicle while putting more power to the ground and we are putting far more stress on the structures of our cars than they were designed to handle.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the basic working thought is that the bilstein shock is stiffer than the stock shock ... combined with the 40+ year old metal ... it is prone to punch thru. I believe this also happened to M5bb (Gary) last year.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bilstein + lowering + less tire/more rim + old metal + poorly designed tower = recipe for disaster.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unbelievably helpful information.
Thanks so much.
I have been tempted to goto a 5 speed, but I don't mind the higher revs. Makes it sound better/more fun. But if that change is a big deal, then love to do it. Is it difficult/expensive to do? Are the lower gears tighter and thus slightly quicker too?
The heat bypass looks interesting too. Is there another thread on that here somewhere.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Unbelievably helpful information.
Thanks so much.
I have been tempted to goto a 5 speed, but I don't mind the higher revs. Makes it sound better/more fun. But if that change is a big deal, then love to do it. Is it difficult/expensive to do? Are the lower gears tighter and thus slightly quicker too?
The heat bypass looks interesting too. Is there another thread on that here somewhere.

One of the very nice options of the 5-speed is not shifting into 5th gear. If you want to have a 4-speed, use 1 thru 4, and when you compare the ratios they are very similar.
Here's a blurb written up about the conversion.
http://bmw30cs.blogspot.com/p/5-speed-conversion.html

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

the gearing on the first 4 gears is basically the same as what you have ... 5th gear is just an overdrive. only the dogleg tranny is a close ratio which makes it quicker. in an over-simplified answer, two ways to make a coupe quicker with the same engine - dogleg 5 speed or change the gear in the diff. a bigger number gear on the diff will raise the revs / mph ... which lessens the strain on the motor ... making it get there quicker. the downside of the dogleg tranny is where 1st gear is ... it takes some getting used to.

the alternative is a higher HP engine / fuel delivery system.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The 265 Getrag with the mechanical speedometer drive are getting harder to find. Needs a different bell housing than the 4-speed. Might as well replace the clutch and flywheel while you are there. Shorten and balance the drive shaft. The exhaust has to come out so, either restore it or buy a stainless system. Then get the Z3 shift platform, custom linkage rod to use a threaded shift knob (thread is 15 x 1), transmission was $300 the rest of the work was around $3500.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Bilstein + lowering + less tire/more rim + old metal + poorly designed tower = recipe for disaster.

The Csi I sold last year suffered the same fate and this in the middle of a 1500km rally. She drove on to end second. I really don't understand how that was even possible.

Attachments

• DSCF2077.jpg
    DSCF2077.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 162

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
The 265 Getrag with the mechanical speedometer drive are getting harder to find. ........transmission was $300 the rest of the work was around $3500.

Though a forum member might sell you a 5 speed for $300, the going price on eBay is double to triple that amount for a presumed 'good' tranny.
SFDon can find you one that's checked out and confirmed to be good.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Though a forum member might sell you a 5 speed for $300, the going price on eBay is double to triple that amount for a presumed 'good' tranny.
SFDon can find you one that's checked out and confirmed to be good.

I like the idea of a dog leg transmission to get with you as acceleration with the overdrive as well. Is it expensive or difficult to install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the dog leg does NOT have an overdrive. 5th gear on the dog leg tranny is about the same as 4th on your current tranny. yes they are more expensive than a std. getrag 5 speed as they are much rarer

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My youngest son is asked in lit/writing class to write a homework essay on the topic "E9 driving feel".

The body of the essay he turns in reads:
" Today I feel like driving my E9".

For once I am not joking.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
the dog leg does NOT have an overdrive. 5th gear on the dog leg tranny is about the same as 4th on your current tranny. yes they are more expensive than a std. getrag 5 speed as they are much rarer

Thank you for the information. If that is the case it does not seem worthwhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let some friends drive my other BMWs Saturday August 26th, 49 miles on back roads for a Dynamometer Run Day. Took Vern, Athena The M5 & The M3. Only ran The M3, as the rear design of Vern, Athena & Rodney are not as straight forward as the E36. Heard from the Dyno owner and he researched how to secure the older cars so I can do a few pulls.

This relates to feel in, I drive all my cars confidently and fast. All my suspensions are designed for spirited drives and usually use the yellow speed caution speeds as half the speed I can handle the curve. Although Athena is one of my heavier BMWs, her handling is tight and sure footed. While driving back from TedFest in Mississauga Ontario on routes 7 & 9 in Vermont and New Hampshire I was regularly doing 80mph in the 2 lane passing zones in 4th up hill, keeping up easily with an M4 that was also going for the pass of 'slower traffic'. The friends who drove my other cars, were being very cautious compared to me in the same car.

Last edited:

pmansson

Reaction score
I have extremely tight and discreetly modified coupes and E-types. The latter came out in ´61 , 4 yrs before the 2000CS, which is the E9, but with a 4 cyl engine.
The BMW is the better of the two, from a handling wiewpoint. They both rust of course. The CSi cost twice as much as the E, in Sweden in 1972. The E´s came out in 1948 and the 6 cyl BMW in 1968.
I love both models. Drove one of the Es 350 miles yesterday. Brilliant in the rain with XWX, which all my old cars have.
I think my coupes handle pretty close to modern Audis and BMWs, if driven in a similar way.

RJRuiz

Reaction score
To me, the charm of driving an E9 lies in it's intensely mechanical, analog feel. The sound of the engine, gearbox and wind noise combine for a memorable experience everytime out. My coupe is substantially modified, with CN springs, HD Bilsteins and a modded 3.5/5 speed with a 3.63 LSD. Love way the gears whine. The bark of the exhaust when downshifting, the wheel moving in my hands, it is sensory overload in the best possible way. No need to pipe in recorded engine sounds with our cars.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would love to know more information on the items below in terms of approx cost/complexity:

As one who drives my E9 extensively, covering 12K miles or just over 19K kilometers last year, I'll contribute the following modifications and observations.

5-speed transforms the car and increases fuel economy over the 4-speed. The .80 overdrive drops the revs by 500, so 70 mph or 112 kmh engine is turning 2500 rpm. with the 4-speed I was getting 17.5 mpg, 5-speed is close to 23.5 mpg. On a long distance trip range is increased by almost 100 miles or 160 km. This is the single best upgrade that's been done to my car, it has already paid for itself.

Heater bypass valve, second best modification. Makes the interior much cooler and pleasant, yet when you want heat it's there.

SF Don said adding a 5 speed would be $5,000. Seems high but I trust him. Gas savings not worth it if $5,000.
I haven't heard about the heater bypass. Can you explain?

Thanks.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, most of this can be found via the search function:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heater-bypass-valve-diy-in-progress.10824/#post-128141

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heater-bypass-mod.8581/

Besides the saving in fuel, the 5 speed lowers wear and tear on the engine and reduces engine noise on the highway both of which add to the value. There's quite a bit of sourcing to be done, espicially finding a good used 5 speed, Don checks them out himself so that is way better than just buying one blind off ebay or of unknown history/condition, and they're getting harder to find. Plus other work like a shortened drive shaft, mounts, fabrication, labor etc etc and it adds up.

Would love to know more information on the items below in terms of approx cost/complexity:

SF Don said adding a 5 speed would be $5,000. Seems high but I trust him. Gas savings not worth it if $5,000.
I haven't heard about the heater bypass. Can you explain?

Thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, most of this can be found via the search function:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heater-bypass-valve-diy-in-progress.10824/#post-128141

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/heater-bypass-mod.8581/

Besides the saving in fuel, the 5 speed lowers wear and tear on the engine and reduces engine noise on the highway both of which add to the value. There's quite a bit of sourcing to be done, espicially finding a good used 5 speed, Don checks them out himself so that is way better than just buying one blind off ebay or of unknown history/condition, and they're getting harder to find. Plus other work like a shortened drive shaft, mounts, fabrication, labor etc etc and it adds up.

Thanks. I first tried searching "5 speed" but most responses seemed to lead to this thread. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.