E9 People vs Other BMW People

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Curious to get others observations on this as I find it interesting.
Have been on the E9 scene for a while now. My (loose) observations are as follows:

1. Everybody is very helpful and open to giving advice (sometimes unsolicited and a bit too honest) but I love that.
2. Where possible we happily let people know where there are spare parts hiding that may be of use to others.
3. We are all very patient with new members and those that seem to prefer learning by mistake or cost over run, as opposed to listening to those that have been there before.

Contrast this with my recent experience in the e30 and E28 scene - this is Australian specific - and primarily relates to private wreckers and people selling 'rare' parts on Gumtree (our Craigslist) but also some businesses.

1. Descriptions of spare parts are usually inaccurate and frequently overpriced.
2. There seems to be a basic level of competence/professionalism lacking - i.e I bought a new clutch slave the other day and they sent a clutch master. Despite the invoice confirming I ordered a slave it's my fault..
3. Dishonesty seems more rampant - I almost got scammed on an e28 sunroof this week - the guy uses images off the web to solicit payment and then ignores you. Never had this issue once with an E9 but it seems common with E30s & E28s.

I'm wondering if there's a demographic issue here where dare I suggest E9 people are usually from a different social strata to most other BMW enthusiasts? Or is it just that E9's are more niche and the community is more closed so to speak in that there's usually about one degree of separation so poor behaviour has consequences sooner. I suspect culture in the 'vintage' BMW scene (502s, 328s, Dixi's) is probably closer to ours than say the e30 crew, with possibly the exception of M3 owners?

I'd like to stress this isn't a reference to the e28 or e30 forums, where I find a similar positive culture to here. Is this the same in the US and Europe?

Curious what we all think. W.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Age and wisdom are sometimes concurrent. Not always. I tend to agree with most all of the above. More often than not, I think e9 owners (usually) have of other loved vehicles, and the coupe tends to be the lady that gets the love in a marriage kind of way. I feel the same way about my 2002, and I think that many feel the same way. I have said before, that I have a friend that has a Ferrari 360?, that saw my coupe, in its rustic splendor, and said "any rich asshole can have a Ferrari...but that's really something..." That's it in a nutshell. Yes I have met two guys, I think, that had e9's, that were turds, but they were still mostly good turds. Karma takes care of such things. Maybe rust is the common denominator...like cancer survivors that tend to bond over common maladies (and I don't mean to be flippant, here). We share a common love for an uncommon car. And we commiserate with each other with the inherent problems, help each other, and celebrate the little positive victories...and share those.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or is it just that E9's are more niche and the community is more closed so to speak in that there's usually about one degree of separation so poor behaviour has consequences sooner.
Maybe rust is the common denominator...like cancer survivors that tend to bond over common maladies
Very keenly observed and accurately described, Wes and Dave!

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The reason for our civility is our moderator, pictured below.

Markos - 1.jpeg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As observed in the previous posts. E9 & 2002 people tend to be more helpful & enthusiastic. This & the 2002FAQ are the 2 best forums.

Further observations:
E28s, I'm an owner of a 1988 M5, there are a handful of helpful people & the forum isn't user friendly. Some E9 & '02 owners have E28s.
E36s, I have a 1997 M3, it is the best car I have ever owned. Can't stand the E36 forum & snarky culture so I don't interact with other owners.
E83 X3 & E86 Z4 while I love the 2007 X3 & Z4 Coupe 6-speeds. Never go to what I think is the worst, bimmerforum. Z culture, real enthusiasts.
F25 X3, 2014 X3, bimmerforum again. No enthusiast culture.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
R3vLimited - the E30 forum is not very useful. It is geared (in my opinion) to the racer / tuner group. Air bags, big engines, etc
Additionally, the group is too big, when looking for information, it is often difficult to find

RMP

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Curious to get others observations on this as I find it interesting.
Have been on the E9 scene for a while now. My (loose) observations are as follows:

1. Everybody is very helpful and open to giving advice (sometimes unsolicited and a bit too honest) but I love that.
2. Where possible we happily let people know where there are spare parts hiding that may be of use to others.
3. We are all very patient with new members and those that seem to prefer learning by mistake or cost over run, as opposed to listening to those that have been there before.

Contrast this with my recent experience in the e30 and E28 scene - this is Australian specific - and primarily relates to private wreckers and people selling 'rare' parts on Gumtree (our Craigslist) but also some businesses.

1. Descriptions of spare parts are usually inaccurate and frequently overpriced.
2. There seems to be a basic level of competence/professionalism lacking - i.e I bought a new clutch slave the other day and they sent a clutch master. Despite the invoice confirming I ordered a slave it's my fault..
3. Dishonesty seems more rampant - I almost got scammed on an e28 sunroof this week - the guy uses images off the web to solicit payment and then ignores you. Never had this issue once with an E9 but it seems common with E30s & E28s.

I'm wondering if there's a demographic issue here where dare I suggest E9 people are usually from a different social strata to most other BMW enthusiasts? Or is it just that E9's are more niche and the community is more closed so to speak in that there's usually about one degree of separation so poor behaviour has consequences sooner. I suspect culture in the 'vintage' BMW scene (502s, 328s, Dixi's) is probably closer to ours than say the e30 crew, with possibly the exception of M3 owners?

I'd like to stress this isn't a reference to the e28 or e30 forums, where I find a similar positive culture to here. Is this the same in the US and Europe?

Curious what we all think. W.
I have a E24 M6 and e28 M5 and then came the E9 CS, my experience is that the E9 is a much higher learning curve than the M6/M5. Thus, we need each others help more than in the other two, for me.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Observations I have made

1) The E24 forum has some wonderful people, there are SFDon's and HBChris equivalents and have also been very helpful to me. Sadly, the people buying E24's these days are younger and more into the restomod scene which breaks my heart. More importantly, they totally lack communication skills. I actually posted that newer members never respond to the individuals that answer their questions and help out and that without follow-up, we cannot learn. I got kudos from only the older, original members.

2) Having an anonymous voice such as a forum post, often leads to un-tempered comments.

3) We are so lucky to have this forum (E9 and E3) where people only speak if they have knowledge unlike the tons of worthless, anecdotal stuff on other forums. Again, I think it is age and wisdom.

To share a quick story. X3 with broken rear springs which is a common problem. I go on the X3 forum to ask about how often this occurs and alternative springs to buy. Guy from Slovakia says that my post is worthless because that question has been asked and dealt with and I need to read more and not to ask questions. I just responded that maybe in Slovakia, you cannot ask questions but here you can and BTW, the shit original springs for the X3's were made in Slovakia. That is the most negative post I had ever made.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sold my CSi over a year ago, picked up a cherry 2002 from JMinNJ. I am on here as much as I am on 2002faq. Similar positive user experiences. I have not been shunned, cast into the Outer Darkness nor stoned with evil emojis.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
not my own experience, but i have been told that more modern bmw forums tend to lose strength and are being moved to facebok groups, where nothing really lasts and stays long

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.

I posted an ad on Gumtree for an e28 sunroof.

Get a text from a guy, who says he has one. He sends me his licence unsolicited.

IMG_0491.JPG

He also sends me an image of an e28 sunroof. We agree a price and I send him the cash.

I then get a call from a private number where the caller claims I've been scammed in the past buy Guy Number 1 and actually quotes the mobile number of the guy I just spoke to. He says he's in Victoria, so freight would be cheap.

Ok, this is interesting. I cancel the payment and don't say anything. Might as well have some fun.

I text Guy Number 2 and thank him for the tip off and he says he has an e28 sun roof. Great..

He sends me an image of his part (sunroof) and its the same image as Guy Number 1. WTF! I don't say anything but am smelling more rats than the barn where I found the e28!

Guy Number 2 claims to have some other bits and offers to help me out. Claims Guy Number 1 has stolen some of his pictures from old Gumtree listings.

Guy Number Two then offers to send me his licence to prove who he is. He claims to have never shared it before. I accept. Interestingly he proposes a payment method where I can't cancel the transaction within 24 hours, as I did to Scammer Number 1.

Out of interest I plug his details into google and and the exact same image he sent me pops up on a blog about camping in Western Australia.

IMG_0489 (1).jpg

I text him back and ask if if he's into camping as well. He has no idea what I'm on about. What a surprise!

Now 150% convinced this all part of the same scam I end the conversation, sans a sunroof but still with my cash.

Seems like a very hard way to try and make $300.

Never have I had an experience like this with chasing E9 parts :D

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe a little off topic.
When I see a scam, I try to play it out to see how far they will go. I received this check for $24,000 in 2006 for a vehicle I had for sale which was more than the selling price. I was to return some money back (shipping IIRC) which was the scam. The scammer sent via next day delivery which cost them money. A call to the bank verified the check was fake and when I responded with that information, I never heard back.

Attachments

• Rocky Mountain CU Check.jpg
    Rocky Mountain CU Check.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 98

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah, the old fake Cashier's Check scam. Back in the day Cashier's Checks were always considered to be cash in hand. Never any problems until...
Then we learned if the bank deposited the funds into your account before it verified the check with the other bank, said bank could claw the money back from your account. In the meantime you have sent the overage cash to the scammer.

Lesson # 1: A Cashier's Check is just a check until it has cleared.

And then there are the paypal scammers. How do I know? Don't ask, I've tried to forget that one. Will only say it involved parts for Lilli, my 2002.

Steve

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I received notification that Chase credit cards are in the mail, I don't have a Chase account. I call and they tell me they were ordered using my SS# from an address in Alabama. They will investigate but I am not allowed to be privy to what they find. If I want to know, I have to file with my local police station who can request details of the investigation. Thanks for protecting the scammer and sharing nothing with the victim.

These white collar crimes need stiffer punishments, they can ruin a life.