E9 People vs Other BMW People

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ah, the old fake Cashier's Check scam. Back in the day Cashier's Checks were always considered to be cash in hand. Never any problems until...
Then we learned if the bank deposited the funds into your account before it verified the check with the other bank, said bank could claw the money back from your account. In the meantime you have sent the overage cash to the scammer.

Lesson # 1: A Cashier's Check is just a check until it has cleared.

And then there are the paypal scammers. How do I know? Don't ask, I've tried to forget that one. Will only say it involved parts for Lilli, my 2002.

Steve
Steve— how did you get scammed on paypal? Something we should know?

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
This is the kind of crap I'm talking about.

I posted an ad on Gumtree for an e28 sunroof.

Get a text from a guy, who says he has one. He sends me his licence unsolicited.

View attachment 131751

He also sends me an image of an e28 sunroof. We agree a price and I send him the cash.

I then get a call from a private number where the caller claims I've been scammed in the past buy Guy Number 1 and actually quotes the mobile number of the guy I just spoke to. He says he's in Victoria, so freight would be cheap.

Ok, this is interesting. I cancel the payment and don't say anything. Might as well have some fun.

I text Guy Number 2 and thank him for the tip off and he says he has an e28 sun roof. Great..

He sends me an image of his part (sunroof) and its the same image as Guy Number 1. WTF! I don't say anything but am smelling more rats than the barn where I found the e28!

Guy Number 2 claims to have some other bits and offers to help me out. Claims Guy Number 1 has stolen some of his pictures from old Gumtree listings.

Guy Number Two then offers to send me his licence to prove who he is. He claims to have never shared it before. I accept. Interestingly he proposes a payment method where I can't cancel the transaction within 24 hours, as I did to Scammer Number 1.

Out of interest I plug his details into google and and the exact same image he sent me pops up on a blog about camping in Western Australia.

View attachment 131752

I text him back and ask if if he's into camping as well. He has no idea what I'm on about. What a surprise!

Now 150% convinced this all part of the same scam I end the conversation, sans a sunroof but still with my cash.

Seems like a very hard way to try and make $300.

Never have I had an experience like this with chasing E9 parts :D
I fell for this trap on pelican parts the other day, felt so violated, almost as much as paying for some coupe parts L O L. Luckily it was for $50 but the it didn’t feel good. Fuchs center cap and a bulb holder.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
I think this forum has an amazing strong culture of well to do people and that credit should go to the people running it. They invest the time and give a shit. I had to vouch for another member so he can access the forum. I thought it was annoying at first and didn’t understand why, but after getting scammed for $50 on pelican just recently, I really appreciate what it takes to be part of this forum. I will be sad if I ever sell my coupe as I would feel as I am missing out on an experience. Not driving, but the feeling of Owning and Operating one.
I can also say, I have made 2 genuine friends here @Ajay and several others.

Last edited by a moderator:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two summers ago I opened my credit card statement at the beach during our annual vacation. It is a AAA Visa card. There was a cash withdrawal at a Citi Bank in NYC for
$9,763.42. I live in Bucks County, PA. I called immediately and was told it was a withdrawal at a human teller station. I am concluding the thief, the teller and a manager were in cahoots. Visa immediately cancelled my card, sent a new one Fedex to the beach house and credited me the full amount. They also gave me free credit monitoring for six months.

We should assume all our personal information is circling the web waiting to be plucked out of orbit for nefarious purposes.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We should assume all our personal information is circling the web waiting to be plucked out of orbit for nefarious purposes.
...because it more than likely is. If Equifax can get hacked (with no repercussions) ANY company or organization can get hacked (with no repercussions)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As you all know, I have been selling stuff here for years. Not once have I been burned.
I bought an E30 and my experience on that board is different, sadly. I was looking for a part, I forget what part, and someone responds telling me so and so has it and here is his email. We communicate and I buy. Nothing shows up. Thankfully I used PayPal "buying merchandise" so I got my money back.
Another time I was looking for mud flaps and the set for the E30 cabriolet are unique. Long story short, I have 2 sets of the wrong parts in the basement.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How to get scammed on paypal: foolishly buy through friends and family when the seller insists. If the seller insists, even after you offer to cover the fees on buying merchandise, you are for sure dealing with a scammer! I fell for it on 2002faq looking for chrome bumpers to replace the butt ugly diving boards.

If you go on 2002faq and click on classifieds then seller buyer feedback you will see pages of feedback. About two years ago buyers like me were posting negative feedback having been scammed in various ways including paypal. Recently there have been no reports of scamming. Probably because those of us who were gave a loud shout, "do not buy using friends and family."

Embarassing yes, but more important to warn the other herd members.

Steve

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I manually activate accounts because of scammers. Last week I got an email from one after they registered asking to be approved. It didn't feel right so I researched a little deeper than normal and found him on spam lists. I always ignore their email and never hear from them again.

As far as E9 owners and forum ethics... Do our noses get higher with coupe value?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E9 world is small, and a great group of enthusiasts. It's the only internet group I have been involved with where I have met A LOT of the members over the years. It's an actual community, not just a virtual one.

I basically live at the "end of the earth" for E9 enthusiasts. I may own the only E9 in Lee County, which has 800k people. If you live in the north east or California or Seattle, there are other coupes, but here....

So being part of this group has been the best part of coupe ownership.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I manually activate accounts because of scammers. Last week I got an email from one after they registered asking to be approved. It didn't feel right so I researched a little deeper than normal and found him on spam lists. I always ignore their email and never hear from them again.

As far as E9 owners and forum ethics... Do our noses get higher with coupe value?
Thank you Dan, and Markos and Chris, once again, for all the work you do to keep this forum as great as it is.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The E9 world is small, and a great group of enthusiasts. It's the only internet group I have been involved with where I have met A LOT of the members over the years. It's an actual community, not just a virtual one.

I basically live at the "end of the earth" for E9 enthusiasts. I may own the only E9 in Lee County, which has 800k people. If you live in the north east or California or Seattle, there are other coupes, but here....

So being part of this group has been the best part of coupe ownership.

I'm offended at your suggestion you live at the end of the earth :D I always thought that's where I live..

jmackro

Reaction score
3. Dishonesty seems more rampant - I almost got scammed on an e28 sunroof this week - the guy uses images off the web to solicit payment and then ignores you. Never had this issue once with an E9 but it seems common with E30s & E28s.

I think this last point has little to do with the e9/e3 community, except perhaps, that it is too small for the scammers to bother with. These people will go anywhere they think they can make some ill-gotten gains, and typically don't know an e28 from an e-bike. They just find a forum, swipe a photo or two off the internet, post a "for sale" ad, and watch the money roll in.

I'm a moderator on another forum, and spend hours trying to protect our users from the scammers.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
having had 3 2002's, an e3, an e12, e28, e30 m3 ... and now the e9. this group is a family and unlike any of the other groups i have been involved with, including the P-car groups. people here are helpful, mostly friendly, there is serious knowledge and its shared - freely. but what i like best is what a couple of others have said - we meet and know many people on this forum. when the opportunity arises to get together ... many people do.

all this being said, there are a few people that have been screwed over by people getting on this forum, so i've heard. i am not one of them ... maybe because i have had polite warnings from friends on the forum to be careful.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remember years ago when these actions were rare? Sadly, we all have been victimized or know someone who has. Other sad thing is that we are not responsible for lost monies, false credit card charges..............................but we are. Insurance companies never lose money.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wrote an article about the acquisition of my coupe that I had hoped would get published in the BMWCCCA magazine. I'm sure my lack of pictures didn't help, and perhaps the editor didn't take to my writing style, but this section of the article, describing the response I got when I posted here asking why I should buy a coupe, says a lot about the people on this forum:

Why Buy an E9

Lurking on the forum, I became more interested. In 2010, I determined to ask the members of the forum why I should buy one. The thread this question prompted was glorious.

The initial reply stated flatly that if I didn’t know, maybe I should not. The respondent then commented that he fell in love with the coupe the first time he saw one and had to have one.

The second response:

…And when you happen to be alone in a small road with the adequate proportion of turns, slopes, forests, straight paths, and the river or the sea as neighbor, you feel that you are in the right place with the right car…

So, please, if you have the slightest opportunity...just do it

Followed by:

Totally agree. It was love at first sight. Had to have it. Despite the fact that it's not that fast, I'm afraid to get caught in the rain with it, and my limited funds should be spent elsewhere, it does not cease to put a smile on my face every time I drive it.

And then:

I find myself sneaking into the garage and just sitting in it. Usually a big smile. Coupe therapy as my wife calls it (she has caught me a couple of times)…Driving it is even better.

And so, to further explain my inquiry, I posted: “Well, I am smitten with her looks, but wonder what it would be like to live with her.” I still enjoy reading the responses I received:

It Makes Me Better Looking

My e39 M5 is the most capable car I've ever owned. I still love it but it has become just a car. It's a lot of fun but I don't get that excited about driving it like I used to…Not so with my coupe. After almost nine years of ownership, I still can't wait to get in it and drive it. I instantly get better looking and cooler.

For the Discerning Car Person

I have owned several fast cars, old and new. Frankly the coupe is for the enthusiast who "gets it". Respect for the E9 requires someone who appreciates the whole package and passion of classic car ownership. You can buy a classic Ferrari, or Porsche, or Aston Martin and every one of them will be inspiring but owning *and* driving an E9 BMW requires an element of independence, charisma and car-enthusiast eccentricity…I will own many more classic and modern cars, but I will never part with my E9, my coupe.

Like Dating an Enigmatic Woman

I have been in love with the elegant grace of the E9 from the first time I saw one. When I bought mine, I did so in complete ignorance. I learned more over the course of ownership. Sort of like dating an enigmatic woman…The driving experience is wonderful.

Driving and Maintaining are Both Enjoyable

… love at first sight for me, I was 21 and one drove past me as I was walking up St. Charles Ave, I ran out into the street after it to get a look at the badge on the back so I could remember what this thing of beauty was for later identification. Dark blue 3.0CS. Bought my Malaga '73 soon after and drove it every day until I sold it to get married. After a 23 year hiatus, I am now on my second CS, the passion for the model had not subsided over the years. I appreciate the beauty of many cars, but this particular one just "does it" for me. I never get tired of looking at its form from all angles. Driving it is special, maintaining it is a labor of love, can't say which I like more to do really. The car lives for both.

Art in Motion

… for me first came beauty, captivating beauty, tangible beauty, lines, curves, angles, materials, the sense of owning a piece of automotive history, the access of a manufacturing era, the strong response of well-designed mechanics, solid and robust, and powerful too,...the joy of maintaining it in the best possible and original condition as a tribute to those who designed, manufactured, and put their soul in building this nice machine, and last but not least,...it IS a driving machine !!! Art in motion.

BLUMAX

Then, to my surprise, the late Murray Fowler posted a lengthy contribution to our little discussion. He recounted the acquisition of his car, then said:

…the BLUMAX was my first love and remains so even when having shared garage space with my M-1 for 5 years. Today at 421,000 loyal miles--and still going strong--BLUMAX is being prepped for the Legends of The Autobahn in Monterey in two weeks where he will celebrate his 38th anniversary of his first trip to Monterey and also be judged in the Concours class…Now 40+ years have passed since that first drive in February 1972, many articles in car mags, a short subject in 2010 by BMW-AG and this last month another online article @ www.driving-line.com--scroll down to the 2nd story. Our journey continues and the love has not diminished.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've always told my wife that if we ever get the opportunity to travel to Europe I could probably post it on the forum and plan our entire trip around meeting fellow members. Nothing like hangin' out with locals. It does kinda feel like a big family.