E9 People vs Other BMW People

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've always told my wife that if we ever get the opportunity to travel to Europe I could probably post it on the forum and plan our entire trip around meeting fellow members. Nothing like hangin' out with locals. It does kinda feel like a big family.

Several years ago - I was in line for a ferry in Denmark (before the bridges were built between the mainland and Copenhagen) - and had a BMW 2002 pull up in line next to me (I had a 2002 back then).
I remember my wife was amazed that I would just walk up to a guy and start talking. His English was ok (sure a whole lot better than my Danish). We had a nice 20 minute talk on the cars and other things. He was a very pleasant fella. Besides the car talk - got some good tips on things to do and places to consider for the rest of our trup.

Nice part of our trip...

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Before I broke up with eBay some monopolist was buying the E30 parts I was trying to market there fairly and marking them up 400%. Yes, there is a higher level of integrity here! Are ethical standards a thing of the past?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remember years ago when these actions were rare?

With wider access to parts comes wider exposure to risk. That is the unfortunate reality of doing remote deals.

This is where Koopman comes in. He does the legwork and takes out the risk for our benefit. And the nut will hardly let me buy him a cup a joe as a thank you.

John

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've always told my wife that if we ever get the opportunity to travel to Europe I could probably post it on the forum and plan our entire trip around meeting fellow members. Nothing like hangin' out with locals. It does kinda feel like a big family.

You're welcome in Australia. We need some parts so could you fit a nuclear submarine or two in your carry-ons?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You're welcome in Australia. We need some parts so could you fit a nuclear submarine or two in your carry-ons?
I'll consider visiting when Australia's credibility gets better...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since I purchased Lill, my 2002 you all have heard too much about, I have been visiting, daily, both 2002faq and e9coupe. My user experience has been the same on both boards. Civil, good manners, helping and looking out for each other, constructive criticism given and taken willingly.

Love it, thanks

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wrote an article about the acquisition of my coupe that I had hoped would get published in the BMWCCCA magazine. I'm sure my lack of pictures didn't help, and perhaps the editor didn't take to my writing style, but this section of the article, describing the response I got when I posted here asking why I should buy a coupe, says a lot about the people on this forum:

Why Buy an E9

Lurking on the forum, I became more interested. In 2010, I determined to ask the members of the forum why I should buy one. The thread this question prompted was glorious.

The initial reply stated flatly that if I didn’t know, maybe I should not. The respondent then commented that he fell in love with the coupe the first time he saw one and had to have one.

The second response:

…And when you happen to be alone in a small road with the adequate proportion of turns, slopes, forests, straight paths, and the river or the sea as neighbor, you feel that you are in the right place with the right car…

So, please, if you have the slightest opportunity...just do it

Followed by:

Totally agree. It was love at first sight. Had to have it. Despite the fact that it's not that fast, I'm afraid to get caught in the rain with it, and my limited funds should be spent elsewhere, it does not cease to put a smile on my face every time I drive it.

And then:

I find myself sneaking into the garage and just sitting in it. Usually a big smile. Coupe therapy as my wife calls it (she has caught me a couple of times)…Driving it is even better.

And so, to further explain my inquiry, I posted: “Well, I am smitten with her looks, but wonder what it would be like to live with her.” I still enjoy reading the responses I received:

It Makes Me Better Looking

My e39 M5 is the most capable car I've ever owned. I still love it but it has become just a car. It's a lot of fun but I don't get that excited about driving it like I used to…Not so with my coupe. After almost nine years of ownership, I still can't wait to get in it and drive it. I instantly get better looking and cooler.

For the Discerning Car Person

I have owned several fast cars, old and new. Frankly the coupe is for the enthusiast who "gets it". Respect for the E9 requires someone who appreciates the whole package and passion of classic car ownership. You can buy a classic Ferrari, or Porsche, or Aston Martin and every one of them will be inspiring but owning *and* driving an E9 BMW requires an element of independence, charisma and car-enthusiast eccentricity…I will own many more classic and modern cars, but I will never part with my E9, my coupe.

Like Dating an Enigmatic Woman

I have been in love with the elegant grace of the E9 from the first time I saw one. When I bought mine, I did so in complete ignorance. I learned more over the course of ownership. Sort of like dating an enigmatic woman…The driving experience is wonderful.

Driving and Maintaining are Both Enjoyable

… love at first sight for me, I was 21 and one drove past me as I was walking up St. Charles Ave, I ran out into the street after it to get a look at the badge on the back so I could remember what this thing of beauty was for later identification. Dark blue 3.0CS. Bought my Malaga '73 soon after and drove it every day until I sold it to get married. After a 23 year hiatus, I am now on my second CS, the passion for the model had not subsided over the years. I appreciate the beauty of many cars, but this particular one just "does it" for me. I never get tired of looking at its form from all angles. Driving it is special, maintaining it is a labor of love, can't say which I like more to do really. The car lives for both.

Art in Motion

… for me first came beauty, captivating beauty, tangible beauty, lines, curves, angles, materials, the sense of owning a piece of automotive history, the access of a manufacturing era, the strong response of well-designed mechanics, solid and robust, and powerful too,...the joy of maintaining it in the best possible and original condition as a tribute to those who designed, manufactured, and put their soul in building this nice machine, and last but not least,...it IS a driving machine !!! Art in motion.

BLUMAX

Then, to my surprise, the late Murray Fowler posted a lengthy contribution to our little discussion. He recounted the acquisition of his car, then said:

…the BLUMAX was my first love and remains so even when having shared garage space with my M-1 for 5 years. Today at 421,000 loyal miles--and still going strong--BLUMAX is being prepped for the Legends of The Autobahn in Monterey in two weeks where he will celebrate his 38th anniversary of his first trip to Monterey and also be judged in the Concours class…Now 40+ years have passed since that first drive in February 1972, many articles in car mags, a short subject in 2010 by BMW-AG and this last month another online article @ www.driving-line.com--scroll down to the 2nd story. Our journey continues and the love has not diminished.

Ha!! I think I made the comment about my coupe making me better looking. I need all the help I can get, maybe that's why I still have it after 18 years. :)

I think a little differently about our current e39 M5. Our first one was my wife's daily driver, we loved it and I instantly regretted selling it. The new one (owned for 4 years) is a low mileage Dinan S1 and it is an absolute blast to drive. My wife told me last night how much she loves driving, it's probably a keeper.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ha!! I think I made the comment about my coupe making me better looking. I need all the help I can get, maybe that's why I still have it after 18 years. :)

I think a little differently about our current e39 M5. Our first one was my wife's daily driver, we loved it and I instantly regretted selling it. The new one (owned for 4 years) is a low mileage Dinan S1 and it is an absolute blast to drive. My wife told me last night how much she loves driving, it's probably a keeper.
Yeah, a bunch of people in this thread posted in that one.

As to the e39, I plan to keep my heavily modified 540 forever, assuming the plastic parts don't recycle themselves while I am driving. There seems to be a lot of love for the e39 here, adding further evidence to the proposition that e9 owners have particularly good taste.