E9 Wheel size

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have been told I should not put on 18 inch wheel but not more than 17 inch wheel is any one know what we really can do as far as wheels and tire size.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

I know wheel and tire sizes are an individual preference, but I think an E9 looks goofy with anything larger than a 16" wheel. The stock wheel well openings are just not shaped properly for something bigger.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can fit 18’s. Look up @cskid on the forum, or old photos from @floridabmx. Also, see Mike Burrough’s old CS on stanceworks. Lastly, the e39 M5 wrapped in a CS body has 18” factory wheels.

Your taste in e9’s is vastly different from the majority of forum members here. Don’t discount 18’s just because most don’t like them. ;)

If you do want to do 18’s, you are on your own personal journey. I would take your e9 to a shop that specializes in stuffing big wheels on small cars. They may have the measurement tool to check fitment options. Also get comfortable with stretched tires.

Klassic

Reaction score
Just went through the same exercise, I went wide 15" and dropped, personally I prefer the retro look. I tend to agree that an 18" will be a bit harsh, 19" cartoonish.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I could be all wet here, but common sense tells me that since our e9s (with 45 plus year old body work by Karmann) are prone to have shock towers that suffer from some degree of movement with age, Wouldn’t installing larger rims with smaller profile tires add stress to these areas and exacerbate the situation? These cars were engineered for 14” wheels. I could see going with 15“ or stretching to 16”, but unless the car has had the shock tower structures improved during restoration I would not go larger. I love the look of stock wheels so yes I’m biased. :)

Last edited:

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can fit 18’s. Look up @cskid on the forum, or old photos from @floridabmx. Also, see Mike Burrough’s old CS on stanceworks. Lastly, the e39 M5 wrapped in a CS body has 18” factory wheels.

Your taste in e9’s is vastly different from the majority of forum members here. Don’t discount 18’s just because most don’t like them. ;)

If you do want to do 18’s, you are on your own personal journey. I would take your e9 to a shop that specializes in stuffing big wheels on small cars. They may have the measurement tool to check fitment options. Also get comfortable with stretched tires.
Markos' advice is right on the money. Find someone who has experience with fitment for the stance crowd. The challenge is likely to be finding a wheel to run without building it to order. Sensible warnings aside, running wheels that may be ideal for show, but not ideal for driving is your prerogative. If you do go down this road, post your findings for our edification.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

One of my E9 is very close to be completed and it is the time to choose a wheel for her and it is not a item that you change it every day so it is not that I want to have a 18 inch wheel on it but I want to know what is right to have on it the original rims are to small and when you are looking from side of the car all you can see is big tire and the Alpina and BBS wheels that every one are using it comes with deferent size and all are very price I borrow a M4 18" wheel to check how it is look on the car it didn't match at all but the wheel is very nice wheel on the M4 but not on the E9 now I need opinion or suggestion for type and size of the rims since this car cost me a fortune and everything is new on it and I can not play cheep on the wheels I have to buy a good and right one for her.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I could be all wet here, but common sense tells me that since our e9s (with 45 plus year old body work by Karmann) are prone to have shock towers that suffer from some degree of movement with age, Wouldn’t installing larger rims with smaller profile tires add stress to these areas and exacerbate the situation? These cars were engineered for 14” wheels. I could see going with 15“ or stretching to 16”, but unless the car has had the shock tower structures improved during restoration I would not go larger. I love the look of stock wheels so yes I’m biased. :)
Hello, I am not a mechanic I am a construction guy with all this help in hear I decided to go with 16"X7 and 8 but for me to learn the 14" have very big tire and it is heavy when we go 16" rim we have to use a smaller tire so we don't exceed the height of the original rim and tire together then everything will be much lighter versus to original rim and tire that will help the car and will have less stress am I right or there is something that I miss

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, I am not a mechanic I am a construction guy with all this help in hear I decided to go with 16"X7 and 8 but for me to learn the 14" have very big tire and it is heavy when we go 16" rim we have to use a smaller tire so we don't exceed the height of the original rim and tire together then everything will be much lighter versus to original rim and tire that will help the car and will have less stress am I right or there is something that I miss

I would expect the 18” tires and certainly the wheels to weigh more than 14’s.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m no mechanic either. Nor am I a metallurgist or structural engineer. This is strictly opinion. The weight of the wheels/tires is not the point. Larger wheels with smaller profile tires absorb less shock from road bumps. Typically these larger wheels/ lower tires are teamed with stiffer sport springs and sport shocks/struts. This wheel/suspension combo is great for cornering but the stiffness of this type of setup transfers road inconsistencies to the body (shock towers) instead of absorbing them. We’ve seen rear shock tower failure and front shock towers making contacting with the bonnet likely due to metal fatigue.
I have sport shocks and lower springs on my car but I’ve stayed with stock wheels/tires to mitigate the stiffness and it’s the look I prefer.
So I’m just saying it’s okay go with slightly larger wheels if that’s your preference. Just be careful.:cool:

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
everything will be much lighter versus to original rim and tire

Generally speaking air and rubber are lighter than metal.

A 195/70R14 is probably about the same weight as a 205/55R16. The 225/50R16 will be heavier than a 195/70R14 because it has significantly more tread than the 195.
most of the time a 16” wheel is heavier than a 14” wheel. Going from AL to MG is the exception.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Smaller sidewalls will transmit more noise, vibration and harshness into the vehicle. Your vehicle will be noiser, but more importantly, there will be far more stress on the chassis. The problem is not only the rear strut towers. There are threads here about the need to reinforce the rockers panel structure. Lots of coupe owners have found stress fractures along the transmission tunnel. And Coupe King sells a differential mount reinforcement for a reason.

As to weight, a wheel and tire combination with a larger wheel will weight more, not less, than a small wheel combination. As JFeng notes, metal is heavier than rubber and air. The usual plus 1 or plus 2 method of getting a lighter wheel and tire combination is to go with a much lighter wheel when increasing the wheel size. Forged wheels are often substituted for cast and whatnot. The trouble with this approach is that in order to get the same or better strength in a lighter wheel almost always costs more.

And a lighter wheel and tire combination will be harder on the car in the same way as a wheel and tire combination with a smaller sidewall will be harder on the car. The benefit of a lighter wheel and tire combination is lower moment of inertia, which means it takes less energy to make them turn, stop, and change direction. These are all driving performance factors, but the trade off is that they will be harder on the car. Modern BMWs are very stiff, and can generally accept lower profile wheels with little risk of damaging the chassis. Our cars are not modern BMWs

Marc-M

Reaction score
I have stuck to the original size with the 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX

And with this tyre on they are big.

OVERALL DIAMETER INFLATED644 mm / 25.35"

If you go bigger how will you get the spare wheel in the trunk hole as 664mm diameter wheel only just fits?

shanon

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a visual on the topic. Pictured are a 14" BBS with 70series tires next to a 15" wheels with 45series. For my street set up, I like the taller side walls for the period look, added clearance (speed bumps can wreak havoc on lower cars) and wheel protection from road hazards. For the track, well, there is a greater selection of performance rubber options for a 15" wheel.

1642090665246.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have stuck to the original size with the 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX

And with this tyre on they are big.

OVERALL DIAMETER INFLATED644 mm / 25.35"

If you go bigger how will you get the spare wheel in the trunk hole as 664mm diameter wheel only just fits?
I have my spare deflated enough so that I can cram it into that space. I also carry a little portable air compressor. Needless to say, I hope the bead remains tight enough to the wheel to allow inflation if need be.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m no mechanic either. Nor am I a metallurgist or structural engineer. This is strictly opinion. The weight of the wheels/tires is not the point. Larger wheels with smaller profile tires absorb less shock from road bumps. Typically these larger wheels/ lower tires are teamed with stiffer sport springs and sport shocks/struts. This wheel/suspension combo is great for cornering but the stiffness of this type of setup transfers road inconsistencies to the body (shock towers) instead of absorbing them. We’ve seen rear shock tower failure and front shock towers making contacting with the bonnet likely due to metal fatigue.
I have sport shocks and lower springs on my car but I’ve stayed with stock wheels/tires to mitigate the stiffness and it’s the look I prefer.
So I’m just saying it’s okay go with slightly larger wheels if that’s your preference. Just be careful.:cool:
Thank you so much, with this explanation no one explain like this and now everything it makes sense Yesterday I order Alpina wheel 16X7 front and 16X8 back I hop it is a right buy but I can change it to the smaller size before they send and they have a 15" also if you think it is better for the car to have 15 inch I will change and will you please tell me what size of tire I should I buy to be right, I thing you are the right guy to ask this question about the bigger wheel that was never cross my mined I always taught if it is lighter wheels and tire it is better.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a visual on the topic. Pictured are a 14" BBS with 70series tires next to a 15" wheels with 45series. For my street set up, I like the taller side walls for the period look, added clearance (speed bumps can wreak havoc on lower cars) and wheel protection from road hazards. For the track, well, there is a greater selection of performance rubber options for a 15" wheel.

View attachment 134011
I am not a fast driver specially with the E9 I am easy driver if I want to drive fast I have a jaguar and V12 E31 but with the E9 I will always driving easy now which one is right for easy cruising and thank you very much for all this trouble to teach me.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 50yo 14x7’s weigh under 16lbs each. A 17” BBS RC090 weighs 21lbs, which honestly isn’t bad for a 17x8 wheel. That’s because BBS makes them. You can expect to find 25lb+ 17’s and 18’s. My RC090’s felt like cinder blocks with 235 rubber on them.

39ACB475-F199-41BD-8253-EA1D54644746.jpeg
CF63CDB3-6ABD-4F07-ABFF-05F221DBB086.jpeg